Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Catfish Country of Origin is China

That's what the sign said in Captain D's, the "great little seafood place." And for the record, no, I didn't order the catfish. Of course it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about what I did order. frown

Here I am in Alabama with all the catfish we raise commercially here and across the South East, and the seafood joint is importing catfish from China.

So if you order catfish at Captain D's you get fish grown in China in whatever filthy, toxic soup they're growing them in. Fish that have been fed who only knows what kind nasty swill.

Sigh...we're goin' nuts in this country. We really are.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

BP-B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
tons of seafood imported from china. swimps, you name it.

what is the story, the ponds are three-level?? on top are the chickens. the droppings and grain falls to the second layer, the swine. below that, are the pools of water that house the fisheries...all energy is utilized to provide protein. that's what i've heard, i don't know if it's true or not...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus
tons of seafood imported from china. swimps, you name it.

what is the story, the ponds are three-level?? on top are the chickens. the droppings and grain falls to the second layer, the swine. below that, are the pools of water that house the fisheries...all energy is utilized to provide protein. that's what i've heard, i don't know if it's true or not...

Saw Mike Rowe on a Striped Bass fish farm out in the CA high desert. All the waste from the Bass was being consumed by Tilapia...

Scott

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
that's why, when I want to eat fish, I go fishing. Crappie, steelhead, salmon and catfish are eaters. Trout, bass and all others for counting coup or using as bait.

the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't mind Chinese grown fish other than being hungry again an hour after I eat it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, when I visit China, seafood (wild caught) is one of the things I relish. First of all, it's a lot easier to deal with the bones in fish versus chicken/pork/beef/lamb (no meat is presented without bones in China). It's also nice to be able to pick out your meal while it's swimming in a tank, as it is a means of insuring that you'll wind up eating a good fish. Of course you can do the same thing with lamb and piglet smile

But yeah - here in the U.S. I pretty much only eat fish I've personally caught, with the occasional slice of tuna sashimi thrown in.

Scott

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick

That's what the sign said in Captain D's, the "great little seafood place." And for the record, no, I didn't order the catfish. Of course it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about what I did order. frown

Here I am in Alabama with all the catfish we raise commercially here and across the South East, and the seafood joint is importing catfish from China.

So if you order catfish at Captain D's you get fish grown in China in whatever filthy, toxic soup they're growing them in. Fish that have been fed who only knows what kind nasty swill.
Whatever they feed them over there, it's likely full of lead and mercury.
It' called "free trade." What it actually is is a program to destroy American industries of all sorts while aiding the industries of cesspool nations across the globe. In order to persuade Americans to succumb to a single world tyranny, and submerge US sovereignty into it, you must first destroy our economy and the middle class.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never been a fan of Captain D's nutz....
Ain't seen one anywhere but the DFW metroplex...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The one Captain D's around here was about fifty miles away over in Nevada, Missouri. They bit the big one and I think some Mezzikins put something in there. That or some Orientals. They can always make a restaurant work, but the pigeon and cat populations suffer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick

Do you think he's buying fish from China because of the stringent quality control in place over there?
Of course not. He buys it because it is the cheapest on the market.
Someone with pride in their work would never put that filth on a plate.

Have an A1 Day!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter

Do you think he's buying fish from China because of the stringent quality control in place over there?
Of course not. He buys it because it is the cheapest on the market.
Someone with pride in their work would never put that filth on a plate.

Well I did some poking around and it turns out the disparity in inspection rules is a sore point with the U.S. catfish industry, and some of what is marketed as catfish is not what we would normally expect to find on our plates when we order catfish.

Write up on catfish from Asia by the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service

Two articles from The Catfish Farmers of America:

U.S. Catfish Industry Takes Stand on USDA Inspections

On USDA inspections

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really no different than buying foriegn oil. I am friends with one of the countries largest shrimp distributers. He buys from shrimpers at six different locations on the Gulf of Mexico, where the shrimp are packaged and sold across the country. He also buys wild caught shrimp from Mexico and farm raised shrimp from China. It is cheaper to ship both here, than to buy those caught here.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Really no different than buying foriegn oil.

I don't know about you, but I don't eat (or drink) oil. And, I certainly don't feed it to my family.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
About three weeks ago my son, a long haul reefer driver picked up 44,000 pounds of frozen catfish in Seattle and delivered them to Atlanta, GA. It was Jack-In-The-Box that was the end user.

The problem with China food products is the chemical and drugs they use. Honey from China is not permitted in the USA because it has been tested and found to contain an antibiotic that is considered to dangerous to use in the US. I would be concerned about eating catfish, a scavenger because of the potential residues in the meat.

The other reason I try not to eat food products fro China is I rather spend my money supporting Americans first, Canadians second and Mexicans thirdly.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe things have changed since 2007, but I kind of doubt it.

Chinese Fish Farms

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The menu disclaimer is there because the restaurant owner is required to put it there, I bet. It is not exactly a selling point.
It shiite, no matter what Bubba Shrimp says.

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mind, I have a dog in this fight (I raise fish, including catfish). The cost of feed in the fish I raise is higher than the cost of the fillet the Chinese sell. These are the people that were willing to kill their own babies by cheapening / adulterating the baby formula........ I'm just saying -- you think they give a rat's tuckus about your family? Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, Dutch, I do not. I think they would be happy to kill us all and take over but they don't have to do anything like that. Our president is giving us away to them.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (300jimmy, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 01Foreman400, 18 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.