Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Savage99, is that your rifle?.....How's it shoot?

That's a fairly nice looking rig!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes it was mine. I gave it to my son and he has it now.

It's quite accurate. I paid a low price for it. The prices of those 611's are crazy high now on the net.

Some dealer had some new ones. Find those old auctions if you can. They may have more.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tough to beat a good 10/22,though I've many examples of the other offerings mentioned thus far in this Thread.

I tend to grade performance,more than I do aesthetics............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Got any good tips on tuning up a 10/22 heavy barrel?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the T/C.

Is it Friday yet?
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
B&C tubes are usually sinister in the accuracy department and the 16" .920" S/S non-fluted,is all but free in pricing.

In everything but a Hogue,I float the action and FL the barrel,with the McMillan Anschutz Sillywet being my default favorite. The Hogue is a drop-in and run scenario,which do bear fruit.

Rather than replace triggers,I'm happy to stone the existing and perhaps respring same. I'm a fan of a TG mounted overtravel stop,for double-taps or longer stitches.

For the loot,the Weaver T-09 base is tough to beat,as it's cross slotted and will greedily accept a multitude of ring types. I'm hip on Leupie PRW's and their generous surface area beneath the ring caps and I've yet to shoot any loose in any application.

I've a good sized herd of 10/22's(and a pair of AMT's) and am very hip on what a good 10/22 can reliably do................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
\With all due respect friend, I don't really think a "hi grade" rifle should come demanding a trigger job and an aftermarket extractor.

Don't consider the 1022 to be "high grade", do consider them to be the best buy in a SA 22, though. Not really necessary to "upgrade" them, although it's a temptation, with all the aftermarket goodies available.

My oldest 1022 was new in the late 1960s. All original, 'cept for a synthetic thumbhole stock and inexpensive Green Mountain 20" .920 blued barrel, (both fairly recent additions). That rifle has digested in excess of 20,000 rounds and still works fine...if you keep Remington ammo away from it. My kid ran a minimum of 3 or 4 bricks through it annually, when he was in his pre-teen years.

Once went over 3 years (and thousands of rounds), with no cleaning, other than the occasional patch down the barrel. Still cycled flawlessly, crud'n all.

If a "high grade" rifle is one that's extry purty and cost alot of money, you can have it. Especially if it can't shoot/function as consistantly well as one that cost less than $200. Bought another new 1022 last year for $179. Still as-issued, except for a longer LOP synthetic stock I had taking up space here. It also shoots/functions very well.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a 10/22 go almost 18,000rds in an R&D experiment,before it got too dirty to run at all.

For conversation...............

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I always liked the original little Browning .22 auto. I was the only one of four siblings who loved firearms. When he died in 86 dear old mom gave it to someone else.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've a few,as well as a 241. While nostalgic and fairly classy...they can't begin to hang with a 10/22.

My Winny 74 short is pretty skookum.............

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 10/22 go almost 18,000rds in an R&D experiment,before it got too dirty to run at all.

Ended my experiment after about 3 years, mostly because of peer pressure: My dad and my son demanded that I clean it, since they shot it more'n I did at the time. ;O)

The boy once burned up over a brick of Wildcats with the 1022 in a few days, when he was about 8 or 9 and went to hunting camp with my parents. Told dad to hide the Ruger and make the little pizzer shoot his own M581, so the fodder lasted longer.

1022 never bobbled once in all those 3+ years,, shooting WW Wildcats, Dynapoints, CCI Mini mags, cheap Federals, or anything else we ran thru her. No Rems, though. Rem ammo is the only stuff that ever caused it to smokestack or jam, since I've had it. And that was many years ago.

Won a Fajen synthetic thumbhole in a raffle, figured that little factory barrel looked silly in there, so put an inexpensive .920 GM barrel on it fer chits and grins. With Wolf Match Target from a rest, it'll punch ragged holes @ 25 and do 1/2" @ 50 yards. Stock trigger and innards.

Think the rifle originally cost me $75, back when I got it?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 4000rd days.

Few things more fun than a high zoot 10/22,a cliploader and a daypack full of 25rd BC's...................

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"Sillywet" Got me on that one... smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They's versatile.............

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Classy-looking rifles are fine. Several of my friends own some, I own very few. It's a personal choice, if one has the money to spend on something they and others find to be classy.

Some years back a huntin' bud bought a new Browning rimfire lever action. It is a beautiful little rifle. Not content to have spent hundreds for the Browning, he ordered a pricey receiver sight for it, which also looked beautiful.

I have a cheapo Williams receiver sight on the M39 I bought used. It still shoots circles around my bud's Browning, for roughly half the investment.

Then there are Savages, but I'll quit now. grin

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
BRNO 581's and the newer version labeled CZ 511 are well made accurate semiautomatic rifles. Not easy to find and the triggers are not match quality. I have one of each and they are very accurate. Have a TC Classic as well and it is very accurate and the trigger is nice.
dan

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.