Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker
Trouble is,there's no inherent benefit to a short barreled 270 to start with,beside it doing the kid wrong.

Not much of a Sales Pitch.................
..........Cute! Wasn`t selling, just suggesting!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some people couldn't raise chickens and it's sad to see such "guidance" espoused here and directed at kids who are caught in that fray....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Something like this could work for your son for both now and the future, and someday his kid, too.

Weatherby Vanguard .243 Blue Syn. stock ***WITH BOTH YOUTH & ADULT STOCKS*** ***UNFIRED IN BOX*** ........... 429.00

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some people couldn't raise chickens and it's sad to see such "guidance" espoused here and directed at kids who are caught in that fray....................
.....Pale Nut Cracker!.....Sad? Sad? Such poor guidance too?..............I`m not the only one in my particular circle of friends who started at 9 or 10 years old shooting with a 30-06. Don`t tell me about such poor sad guidance with kids in the fray!!!

I happen to have had a son myself who started at 9 1/2 years old with the same `06 I started with, which he mastered very well after a few range sessions.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It would be hard to slight,that stupidity does get passed in the gene pool.

Congratulations?.........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I was 11/12 I started shooting a Rem 700 .30-06 and enjoyed it, killed my first deer when I was 13 with that same rifle.

Of course, there were other kids in my scout troop at the range my age who cried when they shot the .243 that was brought for us to shoot. Different kids, different sizes...some are tougher than others.

I remember one kid, who was always one of those who thought they knew everything and could do anything that the other boys could. So, he sat his pastey little body down in the chair to shoot the .30-06, after we told him that he wasn't big enough. Well, click-boom and he wound up on the floor crying his eyes out with a scope ring on his face while they called his mom to come get him.

Last edited by CraigCollier; 10/24/09.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The difference betwixt 9 and 12 is goodly sized................

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The difference betwixt 9 and 12 is goodly sized................

For some kids sure; I'm sure I was bigger than most 9 year olds.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I imagine even you could discern the class photo of the 9yr olds,from that of the 12yr olds and probably even on your first try.

That being said,there isn't too many 40yr olds who can gun an '06 into the same level of Precision as a 223,under the assumption that their mechanical potentials were equal...which they ain't.

Hint................

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
When I was 12, I was about the size as you described your boy to be. I had two older brothers that got to hunt before me, and I always tagged along. At 9 years old I shot my brother model 7600 30-06 with my dads hands on my shoulders. I ended up with my own rifle, a howa 270, and they aren't a lightweight, but still kick. Get the kid shooting early, and as much as possible. If he can shoot a decent group, and cosistently gets better I think he'll be fine. If he's all over the place, and doesn't get better, he's probably intimidated. I know when I was young, I was intimated. I think one of the big things is don't scare the boy. Everyone always use to tell me, WOW, that's alot of gun for such a little guy. That always stuck in my mind when shooting. Make him think whats he's got is normal. I rather have a kid shooting as much as he can handle. that way if he does pull a marginal shot the chances for recovery are better, IN MY OPINION. To this day after shooting guns that we're very hefty in recoil, now recoil DOES NOT bother me at all. Food for thought.

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I feel it all depends on the kid, some kids it'll be a bit much and that's not good. Some kids will be just fine with it.

I'd error on the lighter side and work him up from that. Get him into a 223 or a 243 and see how he works with those. Then, you could move him up if it feels right.

You know him, we don't so you're the best one to answer the question.

I was at the range a while back and a fella had his kids there. His daughter was young and obviously just getting into the shooting game. Well long and the short of it she wanted to fire his gun (an 06) and I couldn't believe it when he let her. The gun came back and whacked her a good one, she dropped the gun and was crying big time. I truly felt for her and I also just trying wanted to toss my gloves on the ice and pound her dad into the terra firma. I mean that guy was seriously twisted for allowing his daughter to fire that gun. I'd say there's a fair chance that he might of ruined her from shooting for a long long time. It was really a sad thing to see.

So, if it's a question then back off and let him begin with something a bit more piquito.

Best of luck to ya! And good on you for working with a youngster.

Dober

Well said Mark, my feelings exactly

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you should give him that 99 in 300 savage. The 270 is a fine cartridge, I shot several for years. There is the Recoil issue for the boy and well they can be really loud too. I am not going to tell you what to do with regard to your son, other that more young hunters get turned off of hunting because a. the rifle dose not fit well, 2. to heavy to carry, 3 Cheap junk to begin with and 4. Poorly sighted. Like 458 Lott says It really dose not cost more to go with the good stuff. Now if it were my son, I would get him a 243 if I was not a hand loader and since I do, then I would get him a 6.5 x 55 and load good 120 gr bullets. I would get him a wood stocked Tikka in such a chambering and have a smith fit it to him in such a way that it can adjusted as time goes by and he grows. I would put a good fixed 4 x scope on it, in good strong mounts. The goal here is to make it easy to carry, and to shoot. Also the DM will make for ease of loading and unloading. White tails don't take much once he gets full grown and new stock could be fitted and the old stock kept for his son when the time comes. The main thing it has to be shootable and accurate so he can hit the things he shoots at. There is no one size fits all here, the one thing the Europeans have over us in this regard is that they pay more attention to gun fit than we do. And have the smith put a good recoil pad on it.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by crackshot
When I was 12, I was about the size as you described your boy to be. I had two older brothers that got to hunt before me, and I always tagged along. At 9 years old I shot my brother model 7600 30-06 with my dads hands on my shoulders. I ended up with my own rifle, a howa 270, and they aren't a lightweight, but still kick. Get the kid shooting early, and as much as possible. If he can shoot a decent group, and cosistently gets better I think he'll be fine. If he's all over the place, and doesn't get better, he's probably intimidated. I know when I was young, I was intimated. I think one of the big things is don't scare the boy. Everyone always use to tell me, WOW, that's alot of gun for such a little guy. That always stuck in my mind when shooting. Make him think whats he's got is normal. I rather have a kid shooting as much as he can handle. that way if he does pull a marginal shot the chances for recovery are better, IN MY OPINION. To this day after shooting guns that we're very hefty in recoil, now recoil DOES NOT bother me at all. Food for thought.
...........I agree with you on the above!!!...........Apparently Pale Nut Cracker doesn`t see it that way and thinks its stupidity. Well as we`ve seen here, others have started out shooting a 30-06 when 9 or 10 years old! I never said or stated to start "ALL" kids out with the 30-06 and that it depends on the kid!!.........Ooooops! I put the "nut" in front of the cracker!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe a tough kid could handle a 25-06 and learn to shoot good with it. Compared to a 270, their kick is pathetically weak.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I agree with you on that squeeze its not a good choice for all kids and it might not be the best for any but there are alot of kids that could shoot a 270 and still have a 270 when they move out of the house,start a family,start out in a career at the bottom of the totem pole, etc and not necessarily be able to afford a safe full of guns.
Pale nut cracker just a know it all

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not all 270s recoil the same... Weight and stock shape considerations chnage things up a great deal... But I have had a lot of kids shooting stuff for a long time and it is a rare kid that will profit from any cartridge based on the '06 case.

I had a fair sized kid shooting a 375AI once and he loved it. he still loves to shoot it and about anything else, but he is the radical exception and he was protected with double ear protection, too.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Im going to start both of my boys out on cartridges of the .308 family i bought Caleb a .308 put it the safe when he was born and bought Conner a 7mm-08 put it up when he was born jsut figured guns wouldnt be anny cheaper when they did get old enough to start shooting. I started with a 30-06 but i was a big kid and a 30-06 was all my dad new of at the time. However I got a sako 270 and m-700 bdl in 270 that are sweeet shooting guns any body with a frame to fit the stocks could shoot them I also have a savage in a .270 that kicks about like a mule. you got a good point about different guns it would definatly have to be the right gun

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i know i am used to shooting a .22-250, .243, .25-06 here, since we in ohio can't hunt deer with a rifle so we shoot a lot of varmints.

when i bought a .270 i got a rude awakening. i have since shot many rifles .270 and larger but i remember that heavy recoil knocking me around and making me a little shy of pulling the trigger from the bench. ruger with boat paddle stock.

then i bought a howa in .270 later which didn't seem like much more than my .243.

i think it almost totally depends on the stock fit.

however i think a swede or .25-06 would be best for a kid.

have both and love them.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
dixon,

I bet you are dumb as you look.

Hang a pic..................
[img]http://[IMG]http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad35/jcdixon77/clarksbuck.jpg[/img][/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Decent buck, no comment on the rest of the pic (PWC needs little encouragement, nor any help), but your sig line begs the question: Why would anyone hunt with an unloaded gun? Must be a regional thing.

Never much liked anything in 270 and have shot more than a few in my almost 63 years drawin' a breath, so I'm biased against them things in general. Gimme a 25-06 and I'm fairly happy.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.