Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't know about rare but they are hard to get a look at.

I have never seen one nor had my dad during her lifetime.

Mom saw several but she was from the up in Northern Michigan.

Amazing animals.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gwindrider1
Having had an encounter with one back in '93 here in Colorado, where there supposedly aren't any, I believe there are more things out there than we are aware of! I've also encountered Civet Cats (Ringtails) here. They are typically desert dwellers. Not supposed to be any Grizzlies left here either. Right!!!

Ringtails might be worth a thread of their own. They were also called Miner's Cats. Apparently a lot of the old Western miners kept them as pets

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a wolverine run across the hay field next to our house when I was about 10 years old ,in north central minnesota.I went after it with a single shot 22 Ithaca model 49,but never saw it again.Probably a good thing.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm wrong. I have seen badgers here in Oregon NOT Wolverines. I'm getting old, forgive me. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Depends on how long you cook 'em.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gwindrider1
Having had an encounter with one back in '93 here in Colorado, where there supposedly aren't any, I believe there are more things out there than we are aware of! I've also encountered Civet Cats (Ringtails) here. They are typically desert dwellers. Not supposed to be any Grizzlies left here either. Right!!!

Colorado Outdoors (official DOW mag) Magazine reported a wolverine in RMNP. Some photog got a pic of it.

Buddy I hunt w/ swears he saw a wolf (he's from MN and supposed to know what he sees) above the Poudre last day of 3rd Eld season last year. Coincidentally, I was tracking it till it got too dark. I ended up finding Bob's tracks at the point where he supposedly saw it. From the tracks, I thought it was a huge coyote and was tracking it 'cause it was last evening of hunt and I was bored. Anecdotal at best, but I'm convinced even if DOW says there's no wolves in CO.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have lots of lions in ID but I've never seen one. We have wolverines but I've never seen one of them either. There are more than the huggers would like us to believe.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Saw a picture in a road side gas station in Cliff, NM of some Texan trying to feed a Badger and Oreo by hand. Wonder how that went???

Tame badger probably. wink

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yah know ive heard of pet ferrets, pet skunks, pet lynx, pet prairie dogs but ive never heard of someone trying to tame a badger....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Honestly me either, but I have seen a few on some kids movies allowed to waddle around, so I guess they can be tamed to an extent. Probably like the pitbull thing...why take the chance.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been really fortunate to get to spend more time outdoors than most folks get up here.

I can count on one hand the number of wolverine sightings I've seen.

the closest was riding snowmachines at night, probably only 5 ft. away from the little bastid but even at 20 mph, it's over now.

the best view was out glassing for bou and saw two of them bounding along the tundra. little bastids bound along like they're on pogo sticks or something. Watched them till they bounded out of sight, long ways, they can cover some ground, pogo sticks or not.

oh and how do they claim a kill and keep it? my answer is they pizz all over it and nada but them will eat it after that.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After a few seasons of the mange left our coyotes looking like possums, I listened to a couple of good old boys visiting at the coffee shop in a small nearby town. They were sure that the state was releasing Wolves in SE KS. After leaving the quickstop, I saw a huge coyote in full fur. Sure looked like a wolf, but it was definitely a coyote.

About cats in KS. I have a very good friend that took a pic of a track with his cell phone next his foot last deer season. He was sure enough that it was a puma track, that he hunted in another area, but he shot a 10 point anyway. I believe that the pic was a lion track.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You sure can tell they are around when you see what they do to a jump trap set on a number 4 trap. I've seen plenty of damage they can do, and I've actually seen them early in the mornings a few times. Unless you rig sets with snares you won't likely hold them in a trap set. They are tricky weasels to hold in a trap. If you lack wolverines, you need to come to Alaska for your trapping fun. One thing you can sure say about a wolverine is they are one secretive animal. You will see 10,000 tracks for ever one you'll see in the flesh.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I posted this story some time back about my one and only encounter ...

"Great stories all ... One of my most memorable hunting experiences happened during the fall black bear season in Montana in the 1980's. I took the day off work and went high up in the Rockies to a spot where I'd seen bear sign on previous trips. It was a swale about 300 yds across and 200 yards long right at the top of the alpine tree line. It was full of lush grass and rotted logs. The mountain was steep on either side of the swale and the only way in or out was a trail about 3 feet wide. On either side of the trail, the mountain rose sharply or dropped precipitously. I chose a spot about 75 yds down the trail from the swale for my stand.

The morning came and went with not much more than a bird or two in the swale. Just after noon, I saw movement about 200 yds away just inside the tree line. I got the Mod 70 in .270 ready. The critter left the trees and entered the meadow and I near filled my drawers ... it was a wolverine. I had never seen one in the wild and haven't seen another since, but I was very aware of their reputation for ugliness. He romped through that meadow and hit every log looking for tasty morsels. I watched in awe at this once in a lifetime experience. He continued foraging for about 20 minutes, coming closer and closer to the trail head. When he was about 10 yds from the trail head I decided that I didn't want to be on the same trail as this critter. I stood in the middle of the trail and shouted loudly while waving my hands above my head. My intent was to make him aware of my presence and send him back to the trees from where he came. To my dismay, he lowered his head while looking straight at me and began to paw the ground like a bull and vocalizing his anger. I was already in a front-kneeling ready postion when he started down the trail for me a full bore. One shot ended my danger and his life. The shot entered his open mouth and exited his right eye socket, but it did the trick. I pelted the animal, took it to the local sheriffs office and relayed the story I just told. He told me to keep the pelt as a reminder. It's still with me today."

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by rattler
yah know ive heard of pet ferrets, pet skunks, pet lynx, pet prairie dogs but ive never heard of someone trying to tame a badger....

Yeah, I think I know that guy. He's the dude we call Stumpy. smile

Wayne

Last edited by peepsight3006; 10/26/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that woulda prolly been my first guess grin they are touchy bastards when yah get between them and their hole....been treed in the back of the truck several times

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I might be wrong on this but I always thought wolverine and badger were in different families. Wolverine is a weasel. Biggest of them all. Don't think badgers are same family. ???

You'll know a wolverine even if you see at a distance. Unmistakable method of movement. Very bouncy, like they've got springs in their feet. The first one I saw was bounding through the woods. At first I thought it was a coon but way too dark colored and WAY too big. The way it bounced along was what really took me by surprise. It reminded me of a pet ferret my kid sister had when it got to playing. Very bouncy. That's when it dawned on me what I was seeing. That encounter was about 30 yards away.

The one I nearly hit north of Gordon along the SD border was much closer. I was only going abaout 50 or so when it came down the embankment. I hit the skids slowing to 30-35 and just missed it. As I went by my eyes were glued, naturally, and it looked back over its shoulder at me. Unmistakably a wolverine, the mouth is disproportionately large for the size of the head and the body is something you never forget. Very powerful looking in its movements and yet graceful. Way cool animal!

I'll answer, BCBrian, the best I know. He does it because he can. If you've ever played with a pet ferret you'll know they have agility that would make any cat jealous. A wolverine has strength that would make any bear jealous and an attitude that would make any Marine take second thoughts. They're the toughest tough guy in North America. That is why they do it, because they can.

I don't fear the wolverine. It's not like a mountain lion or bear or wolf. Something deep inside tells me there is nothing to fear unless you're dumb enough to try and corner one. If left alone, they'll leave you alone. I honestly believe there is nothing to fear. There's just something different about them than any other large(ish) predator.

Has anyone ever heard of a wolverine attacking a human? Except perhaps one caught in a trap or cornered (whether accidently or on purpose) I don't think one has ever attacked a human. I believe they're more like a dolphin in shark infested water, they'd probably come to your rescue. I just got a gut feeling about them.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
I might be wrong on this but I always thought wolverine and badger were in different families. Wolverine is a weasel. Biggest of them all. Don't think badgers are same family. ???

nope....weasel, ferrets, badger, wolverine, otters.....all Mustelids.....some aint terribly closely related to each other as the family has been around a long time....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler

There have been a few tamed ones. The results don't always come out as pleasant as the owner would like, though. Kind of like keeping a pet skunk with the scent glands intact. Sooner or later, it's going to think it's still wild.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Their range goes places range maps don't show. I've seen 3 in north eastern Nebraska. One near the Elkhorn river and two further north along Verdigris River. Several people I know have also reported seeing them along the Virdigris or Niobrara rivers.

I also saw one north of Gordon (western Ne) along the SD border. Nearly hit that one with the car as it loped across the road.

Few years ago I stopped at NE Game and Parks to buy deer tags and fur license and pick up the variety of literature they put out each year. I asked the gal behind the counter if the Commission was aware of wolverine presence in the state. She gave me kind of a funny look for a couple seconds, then responded affirmative. I was surprised by her response. At that time they were still denying the presence of mountain lions.

I'm fairly confident you saw a badger. They are fairly similiar in body type and look. Badgers color varies alot at different times of the year. There have been no confirmed wolverines in North Dakota, South Dakota, or Nebraska. They deny mountian lions till they are hit by cars, photos are taken and one was shot in South Sioux City. None of this has happened with a Wolverine in the Central Plains.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.