Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No flies on a 300 WSM. It's just an octive above an '06.
If ya don't like the belting a 300 WM delivers, then a 300 WSM is for you, provided you're looking for more than an '06 has to offer.
It's the only one of the WSM's I'd consider owning.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My experience, in equal barrel lengths, is the 300 WSM is 150 - 200 fps faster than the 30-06, but RL17 will make the difference closer to 250 fps faster.

For ranges beyond 400 yards the additional velocity of the 300 WSM is nice to have but not necessary either. The real plusses of the 300 WSM over the 30-06 is the plethora of ammo available for it, all of which is loaded to the gills. The other plus is the 300 WSM is chambered in the excellent Kimber Montana.

A sub 7.5lb "all-up" rifle that launches 180's at 3K is a lot of rifle in a handy, light package.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boobtube, your type are a dime a dozen, you come and go... 100% internet blather and zero knowledge.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by boomtube
But, that is not intended to dissuade anyone with a terminal case of magnumitis from scratching his itch! wink
.............."Magnum",,,,,, is simply the word added on to the cartridge designation. Speaking for myself and maybe for others too, those of us who are "mature" who own cartridges which end with the word "magnum" don`t necessarily have a terminal case of magnumitus or have an itch to scratch. However, you may want to think so.

Interestingly, the 375 H&H has the word "magnum" after it, but the slightly more powerful 375 Ruger does not!! Hmmmmm.........Does that mean the 375 H&H MAG boys are all suffering from magnumitus but I`m not???

And us reloaders who own "magnums" can always reduce our loads in order to help cure ourselves from the horrendous terminal case of "magnumitis!"

Next time I`m at the range shooting my 300 WSM or my 375 Ruger Magnum and while there have the urge to scratch my crotch; WHOOOPS I meant itch,,,,,,,I`ll be remembering this thread and thinking of you.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Boobtube, your type are a dime a dozen, you come and go... 100% internet blather and zero knowledge."

Ah. gee. Another overpowering intellectual put-down from another "type" speaking with all the authority of a high post count...I'm SO embarassed! smile

Everyone should scratch what itches.

Last edited by boomtube; 10/23/09.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The answer to your question is a couple of hundred feet per second, is that substantial, probably and it can sure come in handy on ocassions..My 300 H&H with a handload shoots the 220 gr. bullet at the same velocity my 30-06 shoots a 180 gr. bullet..for a stopping shot I think its worth the difference. I like them both, but I know which one is the most powerful and which one shoots the flatest and the 30-06 is my favorite cartridges, but its not a 300, end of story. Enhanced ammo you say? that won't work, Enhanced comes in both calibers!.

Phils latest bruha with a Big Alaskan Brownie took place a few days ago with the 30-06 and the 220 gr. Nosler..Bear came at him in the thick alders from 15 feet, first shot between the shoulder blades put him down, then he gets back up, second shot in the neck and he goes down and gets back up, 3 rd shot in the neck and it kills the bear..Good performance from the 30-06, but Phil told me he was wishing for his 458 Lott, that is too close for comfort, not saying the 458 would have done a better job, but it would have made Phil feel better!! I have been charged 3 and a half times by Cape Buffalo and I always wished I had a bigger rifle, even though I had a 404 or 416 Rem..it's a natural reaction, even though the rifle you had worked.:)

The bottom line is a 300 is bigger and better than a 30-06, a 338 is bigger and better than a 300, a 375 is bigger and better than a 338, an on up the power scale, thats the way it works, like it or not but some just can't seem to understand this simple principle..If your satisfied with what you got then your good to go, and the results are yours to live or die with I suppose...I'm good with that anyway.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I protest! Comparing Rosie O'Donell to any cartridge is rude. Please near do that again!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ray
Way too much common sense for one post.
+1

MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
A sub 7.5lb "all-up" rifle that launches 180's at 3K is a lot of rifle in a handy, light package.

Nice combination for sure.

I like to think of the 300WSM as a kick ass, short action '06. Not a bad thing to be!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
270/280/30-06

What could go wrong?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My goodness, seems I have touched a few touchy nerves! Guess what guys...I expected it! No one can safely post that most magnums are vast over-kill for most users and uses. And it isn't a "put down", it's simply a stagement of fact.

Like any such broad comment, I can't cover all situations in a few words and I certainly didn't post my thoughts as iron clad and fully apply in everyone's situation. Nor did I mean it that way and I suspect each of you are bright enough to recognise it! Okay, so, you love your mags and get your hackles up when anyone comes along and suggests it may be more weapon than is commonly needed, which is all I did say.

If you are fully convienced you are right and I'm wrong, don't be so thin skinned and defensive. Perhaps you could even counter my comments with arguments of your own without resorting to personal attacks and snide suggestions of my inexpericence, just "pile on" disparaging attempts to intimidate discent like a bunch of kids or Democrats on TV?

Nosler's use of a .300WSM is supposed to convience the world that the .300WSM is king of accuracy by some kind of magic? If any such .30 cal magic exists it would be found in the .308! Fact is, the magic of accuracy is in the barrel and action, not the chamber.

The projected 180 gr. velocity differences I cited came from a quick look at Barne's #4; perhaps others should look! ?

Bottom line, my first comments stand as I stated them. But, that is not intended to dissuade anyone with a terminal case of magnumitis from scratching his itch! wink

Good post

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I like Ray's post too. My feeling has always been, for larger game anyways, shoot the biggest rifle YOU CAN SHOOT WELL. Emphasis on WELL.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chambering do matter in extreme accuracy pursuits.

In a high zoot rifle,do I think a WSM will out agg an '06? Yep and reliably.

The biggest concession the WSM coughs up,is one more round in the belly,which IMHO is a more than fair trade for whatcha get in increased performance................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
"

With apoligies to their fans, magnums have always had their greatest appeal to those who study ballistics charts but have little hunting experience or faith in their shooting skill...

...if weight is an issue,just carry one less Snicker's bar and leave the rifle alone!

BUT, bottom line, the younger user is unlikely to get "magnumitis" outta his head until he gets/uses one so he may as well get it done and over with.

Boomtube? Squawkbox is more like it! I had an uncle who, before he pasted away, hunted all over the country. His rifle of choice was a .300 Weatherby Magnum. He used this over his 30/40 Krag and BOTH of his 30.06s. I asked him one time why he chose that rifle all the time? I said "isn't it a little overkill"? His reply was simple. He said "because I shoot it so well. That rifle fits me like a glove so well I can shoot it from any position with accuracy & confidence". He assured me that the 30.06 was a fine caliber because it "helped bring his ass home" from Germany in WW2. He'd say with a wink, "trust me, the .06 will do a fine job killin'". Yet, he chose his Weatherby. I guarantee he never saw a ballistics chart in his life.

What if someone is a diabetic & has a bad back? He may need a Snickers bar AND a lighter rifle! DUH!

As for younger users getting "magnumitis", please! Young hunters tend to base their opinions towards rifles, calibers, etc. from what they see US do or say. My son has been exposed to my 6.5x55, 30.06, .308, .300WSM, .45 & .50 cal muzzy's, .12ga, his .410 & .20ga and a few others. I've explained the differances, why some were magnums & some were not & had him do research on his own. He told me for his first rifle he wouldn't mind a 7mm.08 or a .260rem or a .270win. OK then! He was 17 when he told me this. WE'RE molding the hunters of tomorrow. They get things like "magnumitis" if they're guided that way or not exposed to more than that.

"nough said

NRA Lifetime Member
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You forgot to mention the 284 win, the best non magnum 7mm.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nothing as far as the game animals in question will feel.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have read most of the post above and from a recoil shy individual I will stay away from the magnum family.

I missed the largest Mule Deer I have had a chance to shoot because of anticipating the recoil of the 300 Magnum. I shoot a lot of shotgun and rifle over the year and I have always been one who anticipates heavy recoil and I can't get passed it. I shoot the 30-06 and the 260 with results that have never been disappointing or any problem with accuracy from either.

I respect a person that can handle a magnum's recoil and muzzle blast as I can't. I am a rather large individual and it doesn't make me feel well that I can't handle it mentally. I know physically I have no problem. I know that in a hunting situation there is more than likely only a handful of shots at best, but I know that it is going to kick the daylights out of me and my pea brain says oh no you don't you aren't going to stay in the rifle and get kicked.

I am not sure that the difference between the two would be noticed by what you are shooting but perhaps at the outside distance the WSM might have a tad more oomph but how many times would that be in a year of hunting? Most times I can get a little closer if I think that I am on the back edge of my distance for either of the 30-06 or 260.

I have better accuracy with either of these as I tend to stay put on the rifle.

Just my experience and perhaps yours is different. I would weigh your pros and cons of each and then if you are still undecided toss a coin and don't look back.

Trust everyone but brand all your calves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fog

or do i buy a used model 70 for the moeny and spend more on the trip or the glass to go on it
im not going to be able to go elk hunting for a couple years and prob wont get to go very often
i have a 25-06 and that will shoot anything i want here in illinois
thanks

When moneys tight uses the gun you got, would never say no to a elk hunt because I only had a 25-06. Load some TSX's or similar, kill elk just fine, use the money to get out there hunting sooner.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Deakin, then get rid of the .300 and use the 30-06 and not worry about it. There are various ways to cure yourself of flinching but they would require a year long regimen of shooting the .300 (actually anyone that shoots a boomer well will tell you that you need to shoot them often to keep your hand in) but IMO you'd be better off spending your time practicing with the '06. You say you shoot it well so why not just get better?
I killed my first elk with a 30-06 and a 200gr Speer Hot Core bullet. smile
I don't know how you are mounting your .300 but to shoot a boomer, you must handle it firmly. Grasp the wrist with authority and the forearm tightly and pull them into your shoulder firmly! Above all, don't shy away. You don't want the rifle to get a running start. Then the rifle and you move back as a unit.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Depends upon the action it is housed within. It can shine or fizzle,due to mag constraints.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
341 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.