Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been searching high and low for Winchester Mod 70 375 H&H in left hand but they just ain't out there. Missed a custom Win Mod 70 375 H&H LH about a year ago and I've been kicking myself ever since.

Just curious, what's everyone's thoughts on the 375 RUG?

Thanks.

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Been looking for one to fondle all the way from El Paso, TX to Colville, WA. Haven't run across one yet. I did find a few of both the African and Alaskan in righty. I am pretty impressed with the Hawkeyes fit and feel. I am waiting on the proceeds from a home sale and I am going to grab an African.

I never liked the Limited Edition stainless 20" barreled models, but after handling the Alaskan, I may pony up the super premium prices for the stainless.

Think it's a nice package

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had a LH Win 70 375 H&H , A LH Rem 700 375 H&H .
I now have a LH Ruger 20" 375 Ruger I prefer it to the other
375 H&H I used to own.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I sold my Rem 700 375HH (8.75lbs) a while ago and then came across a Win 70 Classic Sporter in 300WM. I recently had it rebarreled to 375Rug. The Win 70 weighs in at 9 pounds 2 ounces with scope, mounts, rings and 3 rounds. I used a Shaw barrel since I got it dirt cheap. I am still in the work up stages. It shoots factory ammo to about an inch. I need to try some handloads with RE15 and WW760 using the 270gr Hornady SPRP now that I have some brass to reload

Recoil between the two is different but that could be due to the different stocks. To me, the 375HH was a slower shove and a lot of muzzle rise. The 375Rug seems quicker but doesn't have as much muzzle rise. Neither is untolerabe.

If I like the round, and so far I do, I am planning to go a bit fancier than what I currently have. My plan is to use a nicer walnut stock, plus a McMillan, and get a better barrel with sights and have the metal done with Cerokote.

I have one more range session then I have to get a feeding problem fixed. The round on the left side don't want to stay down. Doing a little research, the conversion rarely has feeding issues. I have been unlucky in that department lately. cry

RH

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love mine. Lefty stainless 20 inch barrel with iron sights now wearing a McMillan stock and just ordered a fiber optic bead for the front sight from NECG's.

Picked it up at Buds Guns earlier this year for just over $600. One thing I noticed is it doesnt like to feed slow. If I work the action easily sometimes the second round will stutter. Doesnt happen if the bolt is cycled fast.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 10/25/09.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Romo

Just curious, what's everyone's thoughts on the 375 RUG?

Thanks.
..............I`ve owned a 375 Ruger Alaskan (matte) for about a year and a half now and can only state my experience with the Alaskan version. I have however fired the African. What makes the 375 Ruger highly successful is not just the cartridge alone, it is also the rifle too. So I will comment on both.

My most accurate reloads are moa and less right from the box.

Because of its larger case capacity, a 375 Ruger from out of a 20" barrel will equal 25" 375 H&H velocities (at least with my rifle). From the longer 23" African version even more of a velocity bonus over the 375 H&H.

Rifle and the cartridge is a flawless feeder.

The Alaskan`s Hogue stock (which btw many dislike and is "not" for all), helps reduce felt recoil, is great for larger and longer hands because of its larger pistol grip and forend, is all weather with its grippy eraser and no slip feel, is able to take punishment in harsh weather, and unlike wood stocks, it is oblivious to scratches and dings. The rifle does not need to be babied while on any hunt!

The action from the box is smooth and gets even smoother with more use.

The LC6 trigger is around 4# with little to no creep. I personally wouldn`t want less of a trigger pull on a DGR.

Compared to many other 375 H&H rifles, you can get a 375 Ruger Hawkeye at a more reasonable price.

Hornady is making progress getting their DGR factory ammo, which includes the 375 Ruger, marketed to all pertinent areas in Africa and to other worldwide markets.

If you are more of a "classic" or the "traditional" type of person, who needs to equate those terms in the ownership of a 375 rifle cartridge, the 375 Ruger is not for you.

A few will say that the 375 H&H is more of a proven cartridge. I hope so, as it has had about a 95 year head start on the Ruger round. With today`s modern technology, it only takes a short time to know whether a cartridge will do what is was designed for or not. The 375 Ruger needs to prove nothing further, as Hornady has already and carefully, did its design homework on this round. It already has been proven time and time again. Shoots the same bullets as the H&H!!!

Even though he loves the 375 H&H, Boddington himself called the 375 Ruger development (paraphrasing); "the most significant new cartridge development of the modern era."

If you would like very good and detailed reading on the 375 Ruger in the African version, go to "gunblast.com",,,,,click onto "archives" and then scroll down to 2/6/07. You will also find some quite telling reloading data and chrony results within that article by Jeff Quinn.

375 H&H or 375 Ruger???..........Happy shootin either way!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have heard they are so good that they will grow hair on other wise bald men.

I have also heard they will do everything that and H&H will do.

I don't have any lack of H&H's here at home so I have not needed to try one.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have built one in .375 Ruger and another in the .416 Ruger before Ruger made them, it seemed the most natural thing to do when the 375 first came out..

I liked them both very well indeed, and I duplicated the 375 H&H and the .416 Rem. with them..An outstanding cartridge IMO and its future looks great..

I probably won't ever buy one as I have a super nice English rifle in a 375 H&H and about a simi truck load of loaded ammo, bullets and brass..Unless I sell my English rifle, which has been known to happen, I can't seem to keep the good ones~! smile smile

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You re lucky about being lefty .... there is a small batch of stainless laminated 20" in 375 ruger only made for lefty. pretty sure you can find one if this is what you re looking for ...

as you can imagine i got one even unfired for now and the handle is perfect but i was able to handle and shoot an alaskan RH with the hogue stock and like it too but laminated is better on my opinion especially LH side ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll add my voice to the LHer's raving on the LH SS Ruger Hawkeyes in .375... Mine is my favorite rifle by a mile. Should be even better when the VXIII 1.5-5x20 I have on the way, gets here.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wrongside!..........Not to get off the thread subject, but you`ll really like the 1.5-5x20 VX111 on that rifle.

The same scope in the #4 reticle sits on my Alaskan!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What happens with the pictures? you guys get the negatives reversed. The bolt handle is on the wrong side.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
What happens with the pictures? you guys get the negatives reversed. The bolt handle is on the wrong side.

Hardyhar har har!! wink smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Wrongside!..........Not to get off the thread subject, but you`ll really like the 1.5-5x20 VX111 on that rifle.

The same scope in the #4 reticle sits on my Alaskan!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Good to know, bigsqueeze. Mine just has a regular duplex. But the price was right and it came with the Leupold flip-ups...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Am in the process of changing out the front bead on mine to one offered by NECG which is a red fiber optic.
Also going with the Leupold 2.5x8 as I would feel comfortable taking a 300 yard shot if I had no other choice.
Either scope is a great choice

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Hardyhar har har!! wink smile

first time so many RH hunters want what the LH have ...!!!!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Shot my LH 375 Ruger today with 270 Grain Hornady Spire points 74 Gr of RL 15 under 1". They were the worst shooting bullets in my test so far before I increased powder charge 2 gr. I also to reduce my powder funnel neck to fit the 375 Ruger case. Also have a 1.5 X 5 Leupold , sent my Med Rings back to Ruger and exchanged them for low rings.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate to be the one to have to tell you folks this, but a lot of the old 1.5x5 Leupold's have been changed out on .375H&H's have been replaced with the newer 1.75x6 Leupold's. I think the reason is older eyes?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hate to be the one to have to tell you folks this, but a lot of the old 1.5x5 Leupold's have been changed out on .375H&H's have been replaced with the newer 1.75x6 Leupold's. I think the reason is older eyes?

Would have to disagree with you. The 1.5x5 is a lot easier to mount since it is a straight tube. I am 56 and see zero reason to go with the 1.75x6 scope. Bet ya couldnt even tell if a scope was set at 5 or 6 x. I doubt if I could.
The 2.5x8 would be a much better choice for me on a .375. Now on something like a Lott I would go with the 1.5x5. But to each there own:)

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
So 3sixbits you think 6X is better than 5x and that 1x justifies spending all those hard earned bucks to change scopes? smile smile I'm gonna keep my 1.5x5s and if need be I'll have my perscription on my glasses changed! smile besides I demand a 20 MM objective lens on a DG rifle scope.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.