Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
This 6X7 B&C bull was killed cleanly with one shot from a 30/06. 180gr accubond....the bull I killed with my .257 was much larger....

That's a great bull there! I'd like to see a pic of the much larger one!

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunter Education Master Instructor
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Bulltail.....here you go...one shot through the lungs at 385 yards.

Brad, you lived in Bozo your whole life? I lived there for 30+ years....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Scenarshooter,

Gee, and I got reamed by some when in anotehr thread I suggested the .257 Weatherby was an elk round.

I'm not Brad, but I was born and raised in Bozeman, living there until 1971. Now I live in the distant suburb of Townsend. When were you there?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Moved there from Miles City in 1965...left there in 1994...just in time!!.....grin!

It's not the same now...sad to go back.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
scenarshooter/ brad - there is no better way to account for a statement than with a picture and these have me more motivated than ever to go with what i got and get out there...many thanks for your responses...

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Too big for me too!

I like Miles City a lot--except in the summer. My first real job was working on a ranch near Forsyth in 1968.

Where are you living now?

That .30-06 bull looks like it might have been taken in the Missouri Breaks, but then there is a lot of country in Montana that looks like the Breaks!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I left Bozeman I moved to Jordan and was there six years...been in Glasgow the past ten years...my last stop.

Bull Mountains (06 bull), Missuori Breaks (.257 bull)

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
NICE, NICE bulls! I shot a few elk with an 06 back in the day. Some dropped fast, some ran a little while with mortal wounds. Have no doubt it will do fine as will the speedy .257Wby. I have moved up in caliber over the years, however this doesn't mean it's totally necessary or right for every one. I just like the bigger holes now and it gives me a warm and fuzzy. The comfort and confidence you have with your rifle is the major thing (provided it's sufficient for the job at hand). I don't feel the 06 a 400yd elk rifle, rather my opinion on this is its .340,.338-378 territory. As far as being a perfect round for the job on elk? I myself think it's the .378Wby. And of course these are base all on well places shots as usual. These are just my humble opinions (and only that except for the well place bullet statement which is a given).

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great bulls, and nice job with the 257 Roy. There is no replacement for shot placement, from your pictures I would say that about sums it up.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I sent you a Private message, you will see the little letter at the top of the page blinking.

My brother owns a tire store. A guy needed tires, traded him a Weatherby Vangard in 300 Weatherby, blued, synthetic. He would make you a deal on it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah, the Bull Mountains. Nice country. I guided there for a whle in the late 80's and took some animals as well.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunshotbob
I'm making my first Elk hunt next fall in CO. I have a Remington model 700 .30-06 and am really comfortable with it but I hear that .30-06 is just barely enough for a large bodied animal. I plan on making other hunting trips for big game in the future so, I want to pick up a new rifle.

I'm considering .300 wsm .300 win or 7mm mag. The model 700 is nice but I like the Weatherby Mark V. However, it comes in .300 win and 7mm. Alternatively, the Vanguard sub moa comes in .300wsm and is about $800 less. I like the additional features of the mark v especially free floating barrel but I think the short magnums have more punch and less recoil.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with any of the rifles or chamberings you list,including the 30/06 and the 7 mag(which is what I used on my last elk hunt).So the world is you oyster!I've had Weatherby ULW's in 7RM and 300WM;they were fine shooting rifles.

IME factory WSM ammo is loaded pretty hot at the factories,so may show a bit more velocity than the older magnums;this is neither here nor there and you won't be able to tell the difference.Your skill with the rifle wwill mean a lot more than another 100 fps.

That said,if you want a new rifle for elk hunting(forgetting for a moment that you already have one smile I like the sound of the 300 WSM with it's good selection of factory loads,and moderate recoil.

I think more fuss is made out of what it takes to kill an elk than any other game in North America....except Alberta and Texas whitetails smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If you want a new "elk rifle". That's great. It's a pleasure to own a new rifle.

If your planning a 400 yard shot in a stiff cross wind then a 300 Weatherby loaded with a 200 grain bullet will do it better than probably anything.

Keep the shots under 300 yards and a 30/06 with 180 grain bullet will kill just as well.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll never understand the argument that a 30-06 isn't enough gun for elk so maybe I'll consider a 7mag.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Keep the 30-06 and spend the money you were going to spend on the Weatherby on:

Good mid sized 8x binoculars
A good rangefinder
2 pr good boots, one light and one for snow
Kenetrek gaiters
A QUIET medium capacity daypack
GPS

If you get all that, then spend the rest of the summer trying to wear out both the boots and the barrel on your 30-06.

If I was going to try to upgrade your rifle to be ideal for elk, I would put a McMillan Edge on it and shift to a smaller scope, like a Leupold 2.5-8 VX3. Those changes would probably take a pound off it and make it handier in the steep timber.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
For those that want just a little more punch than there venerable 06 has now can easily and simply have it re-chambered to the .308 Norma. Not trying to start any flame but it is easily done with min mods and the same length action still works. It just turns it into a .300Win so to speak. My Dad did this countless times in his gunsmith shop for folks. The .30-338 is a simple one too that is almost identical but with only slightly shorter case (but cases are more easily available) and performance is pretty much the same. Your 220gr loads will be zipping along at the same speed as the 180 did before. Just some info.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by utah708
Keep the 30-06 and spend the money you were going to spend on the Weatherby on:

Good mid sized 8x binoculars
A good rangefinder
2 pr good boots, one light and one for snow
Kenetrek gaiters
A QUIET medium capacity daypack
GPS

Best advice so far... I'd stick with one pair of boots, ditch the GPS and go with OR gaiters, but otherwise, sound advice!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I sure hope you experienced elk hunters are right. I've traded for a Remington 760, which is getting custom iron sights, and had custom rifle made up from a 1942 made, 98 Mauser in the same round. If those 180-220 gr. Nosler Partitions bounce off of some iron clad bull, I'm not going to keep my feelings to myself. LOL ! E

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dont know as I would take that advice for the 30-06 will take any elk at Id say 500 yards or under that you can poke a 180 grainer in the boiler plant as shot placement overrides magnum mania always.............

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Elk are really not all that hard to kill, once the shooting starts. The tricky part is finding them, having the gear and the stamina to hunt effectively in elk country, and getting yourself out if things get snotty.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.