Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I know, I'm hoping someone chimes in that has used them and had good results smile

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
You don't say where you are so it is hard to know just how cold it may be. Here in N. Georgia it is usually not terribly cold, but in the mountains I often hunt when it is in the teens and I have not used insulated boots in years. I usually wear hiking boots with good quality wool socks and synthetic liners. I carry spare socks and change if my feet start to sweat. Can't remember the last time I got cold feet.

Get rid of any cotton socks, they soak up sweat and your feet will freeze in even moderately cold temps even with insulated boots.

Your feet and hands only get cold if your core body temperature starts to drop. Wearing good insulating layers on your body and head will go a long ways toward keeping your feet warm.

If walking through deep snow or sitting all day in a tree stand some insulation is needed, just don't over do it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JMR40
You don't say where you are so it is hard to know just how cold it may be. Here in N. Georgia it is usually not terribly cold, but in the mountains I often hunt when it is in the teens and I have not used insulated boots in years. I usually wear hiking boots with good quality wool socks and synthetic liners. I carry spare socks and change if my feet start to sweat. Can't remember the last time I got cold feet.

Get rid of any cotton socks, they soak up sweat and your feet will freeze in even moderately cold temps even with insulated boots.

Your feet and hands only get cold if your core body temperature starts to drop. Wearing good insulating layers on your body and head will go a long ways toward keeping your feet warm.

If walking through deep snow or sitting all day in a tree stand some insulation is needed, just don't over do it.

Thanks. I did post where I hunt at the bottom of my starter post. Far southern IL/western KY. Temps can differ here dramatically from year to year.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I also didn't mention that I have high blood pressure and the meds I take thin my blood out some. I'm sure that makes a difference too when it comes to staying warm

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have 3 pair of Lacrosse rubber boots, unins, 800g, and 1200g.

I wear plain cotton socks in them. The unis are good down to 50 deg, 800s are good from 35-50, 1200s are good from -13-35. -13 is the coldest I've hunted in and my feet stayed warm, but I did have thin polypro liner socks and wool socks on that trip.

I'll be taking my 1200s back to Iowa this year. The last two trips it was from -13-20 deg and sleet/freezing rain. The 1200s did great both times.

Good Luck

loder

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks, can't do the rubber boots but I appreciate your reply smile

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's what 3M has to say about Thinsulate:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...n/Homepage/Product_Information/Footwear/

I had a saleswoman tell me that rating tells you how cold they were rated for (while actively moving):
Thinsulate 400 = -40 degrees F
Thinsulate 600 = -60 degrees F
Thinsulate 800 = -80 degrees F
etc.

She said that was the rough scale but that the manufacturer was was a little on the generous side. Being a salesperson, she may have just been fed B.S. or was feeding me B.S. I personally didn't put much stock in it.

I was doing a January cow elk hunt between 8,000 and 11,000 feet so I went with some Thinsulate 800 boots. I've warn them in -12F weather up to 55+ F weather and never once noticed being uncomfortable due to cold or hot feet. I also wear wool socks with them to help wick away any moisture.

However, I think for most of my hunting I'd be fine with Thinsulate 400 or 600 too.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
dude.

she's smokin crack.

Something clever here.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'll relate what I read a couple of years ago about Thinsulate. The article was in a hunting magazine and the writer interviewed the Dupont engineer that deasigned Thinsulate. The engineer said there are only two thickness' of Thinsulate, 200 gram and 400 gram. It was not meant to be doubled or trippled in thickness and you lose some of the insulation properties of it when you do.

I have 200 gram and 400 gram insulated boots. If it's too cold for the 400 gram I go to packs with a removeable liner. I have the same boots I have had for 10 years so the article didn't have any bearing on my choice.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sorry, I guess I skipped the last line of your post. I have family in Southwest Kentucky so I'm somewhat familiar with weather there. I personally would stick with 200-400 grams of insulation. Boots with more are just too cumbersome for my tastes.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
dude.

she's smokin crack.

For splitting firewood, she's probably pretty close. For slow moving interspersed with sitting, probably add 80 degrees F

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One thing that I have started doing is to use aerosol deodorant on my feet starting a few days prior to the season.

Goes a long way to keeping your feet dry, and by default, warm.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm really not much of one for insulated boots, but if I were buying a pair I'd probably not go over 600 grams. Most boots I wear are uninsulated, and with a sock liner under a good pair of wool socks (Smartwool), I can go well below freezing before comfort starts to suffer. Whatever you decide, do not overlook the importance of the socks and liner, as that can make all the difference IME.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I may not be able to grab a new pair by the beginning of season (funds are low) so I will try a good pair of wool socks and a liner as well as a cushioned insole in my current leather boots and go from there.

I read somewhere that a sock liner can also help with boots that cause blisters or sore spots. That would be awesome for these boots as they have like ZERO cushion in the sole.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks again for everyone's responses, great to hear all my options smile

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Craig,

I've found the sock liner to help a good bit in preventing blisters and hot spots. It seems to really help get the moisture away from your feet, and aid in reducing the rubbing/friction. You won't be disappointed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Since you mainly stand hunt, another option would be to go lite on the thinsulite say 200 - 400. Then get a pair of the Boot Blankets to use in the stand. There are several companies that make them under different names. I believe Artic Shield is one of the mfg's.

I've heard good reports about them over the years.

Just got some of those Arctic Shield blanket boots and used them last weekend. I am a fan, let me tell you. I wore 1 pair of socks in uninsulated boots. Threw them on in the stand, and they were toasty the entire time (35 degrees). They are light, and reflect heat.

That said, I just got some Danner pronghorn in 1000 thinsulate on feebay for $120. They will work by themself for most of the hunt, in really cold weather Ill throw the boot blankets on.

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Cool, good to know someone has tried them out. Might look into putting those on my Xmas list smile

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zero to 200 grams is about right IMHO for most non-snow terrain, especially when you're walking (vs. stand hunting). If you're hunting a stand AND it's cold, then 1000 is probably not enough!

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azar
I had a saleswoman tell me that rating tells you how cold they were rated for (while actively moving):
Thinsulate 400 = -40 degrees F
Thinsulate 600 = -60 degrees F
Thinsulate 800 = -80 degrees F
etc.
LMAO I guess I won' be going to Lane Bryant to buy my next pair.

Murphy was a grunt.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.