Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by JJHACK
That coyote has an odd body shape, maybe the camera angle? but possible crossbred with a local dog?

The Hips on that coyote are not slender, or sleek and built for speed the way I see other coyotes. Again maybe just the angle?

Big eastern 'yote.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Man that's cool! I've never seen one like that either. Let us know if you bag him.

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've seen an all black red fox before.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
TFF

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny thing about animals, Take the black bear for example. Is there another wild animal that comes in more color phases then the "black bear"? Yet it's named after a specific color! Heck they come in Snow white and not albino!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JJ, youve been in Africa a bunch more than me, but you prolly noticed I like my varmint hunting, even there..
On my last trip I saw-but did not get- a White Jackal....
Even the PH didn't believe me...until another client got it later that year..
Ever seen one? Or any color phases for that matter?
ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Guys I got a couple black ones around my camp in Pa. Those yotes are normal size here in pa. A guy that won a coyote contest I was in last year got a 51 pound male. I got a 36 pound female last year. The .223 dropped her quick. I'm using a 22-250 this year for em.

Nothing like a fine shotgun and a good bird dog.
Franchi Veloce O/U, 7Rm and Orvis rod.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Like the .22-250 for them myself....shoots flatter and just seems more "decisive"...
Though Ive killed my share with a .223..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We had one of those in the area a couple of years ago. I thought it was a dog the first time I saw it then got a chance to stop and look it over with binocs. Hope coyote confirmation.

Was gonna wait thi winter and try for a nice prime fur. Found out later that the neighbor shot it in the dead of summer and let it rot in place.
Dang, was gonna get that hide prime and then tanned

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a really dark one, much darker than the one in that pic, that's mounted and been in the Wiley's Outdoor Sports store in Decatur, Alabama for years. But the one in your pic looks especially nice. Good plush coat. Yup, I'd be after that dog.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
IC B3

J
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

most likely a silver, Steelhead... had one in my yard 3 years ago this winter... when the fur prices were up silvers were very valuable... i don't shoot many fox these days...

we have an area where the black coyotes are fairly numerous... i shot one a couple of years back... didn't look nearly as black close up as it did from a distance... saw a pelt at the taxidermist's that was very dark...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Dood... grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You know I wasn't even trying to be funny but I see it now. I really did see an all black red fox with 4 legs.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Like the .22-250 for them myself....shoots flatter and just seems more "decisive"...
Though Ive killed my share with a .223..

Ingwe

i'm groovin' on my new 25-06.... but i'll agree that the 22-250 is king of the coyote hill.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Scott, I to have seem a all black fox here in KY. But I think the one I saw was a all black grey.

JJ,

I agree, he might have some Lab in him. I know there are alot of coy dogs in this area. They'll come into a residential area and call out dogs from the home or farm and either eat them or breed them if their in heat. I would say, in my area of KY., one third to half the coyotes have some varying degrees of domestic in them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skeezix
There's a really dark one, much darker than the one in that pic, that's mounted and been in the Wiley's Outdoor Sports store in Decatur, Alabama for years.

That's the one I made reference to. Seems like I asked them years ago if it was taken locally or otherwise, but I can't recall the answer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ScottM
Man that's cool! I've never seen one like that either. Let us know if you bag him.

+1
+1
+1
Awesome, Totally Awesome! I'd have the legholds and snares set for that dude and all his kin.
Really neat picture.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen an all black red fox before

I've seen that TV show, Fred Stanford and his son Lamont?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I've seen an all black red fox before

I've seen that TV show, Fred Stanford and his son Lamont?

laugh

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here's a dark one I killed several years ago. She was called in right at dawn on a fresh snow - I'd have bet my pay check that she was solid black.
She was about 2/3's normal size, that being a normal sized and colored female sharing the truck bed with her.
This photo doesn't show it but her teeth were oversized compared to her body - when I first walked up to her that made more of an impression than her color.

[Linked Image]

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.