Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I'll mention again that I'm a relative rifle newbie, but is Remington's claim that their "3 rings of Steel" is the safest action on the market true? Is it really any safer than say a Ruger or Browning action? Just curious.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well ive heard of an awful lot of beating the action open with a 2x4 due to an overload but an action actually letting go due to overload im not sure i have heard of.....atleast short of doing it on purpose......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I don't know how strong a rem 700 action is, But I have seen A-bolts blow up pretty bad. I have an idiot cousin who chambered a 300 win mag into 300 H&H Model 70, all I gotta say is that is one tough rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You do not seem to see many custom rifle builders work with Browning or Ruger actions. There are several that do utilize the Rem 700.
There is a strong possibility that there are more Remington 700's out in the field than Ruger & Browning combined, just a guess.
To answer your question, the 700 is a very strong action that is capable of handling some abuse.
I once heard somebody say that Ruger builds some petty good guns, but will never build a great one. I agree.
Over the years, the Browning name covers a lot of different actions & sources produced all over the world. Some of these are good stuuf, and some, well.... not so good. But almost always pretty.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by vital_kill
I don't know how strong a rem 700 action is, But I have seen A-bolts blow up pretty bad. I have an idiot cousin who chambered a 300 win mag into 300 H&H Model 70, all I gotta say is that is one tough rifle.

Crush fitting a .49" shoulder into a chamber that's about .43" ID at that point didn't raise any red flags?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elelbean
I'll mention again that I'm a relative rifle newbie, but is Remington's claim that their "3 rings of Steel" is the safest action on the market true? Is it really any safer than say a Ruger or Browning action? Just curious.

Well I'm not blowing up my 700 action to find out if the "3 rings of steel" is the safest action or not but I do know that most custom actions are a type of clone of the 700 action.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actions don't blow up unless you do something very wrong. Any of today's manufacturer's actions are reliable and safe.

Just always be sure that you are sticking the right ammo in them.

JM.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I believe they handle excaping gas better than any other. Last year a fellow at the range fired a .270 in a 7mm Rem. Mag. chamber without disastrous results. First time I ever saw a .270 Winchester case with a belt.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Joe
I believe they handle escaping gas better than any other. Last year a fellow at the range fired a .270 in a 7mm Rem. Mag. chamber without disastrous results. First time I ever saw a .270 Winchester case with a belt.

A friend at work did the same with disastrous results to the 7 mag. Why he didn't lose an eye, ear or anything but some skin on his face only the Lord knows. Not sure what make but if a 700 the three rings worked. Having a bolt blow backward into yer face has happened.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's why I said most custom actions are clones of the 700. I know one reason is the 700 is easier to manufacture and easier to work on but it has to have something to with safety I would think.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 700 is used for most customs because it is easy to work on and accurize to provide a reasonably light and thight shooting rifle.

I don't see the rem 700 as being signifigantly safer than say the Ruger, the Brownings seem to have more reports of broken trigger guards and rusted up actions, but I haven't heard of folks blowing them up.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Remington actions are strong, and the "three rings of steel" true to the extent that a chambered cartridge is completely embedded in steel. Mausers for example have an ejector cut through the bolt that allows gas to escape into the action, as does the bolt face configuration allowing cartridges to slip under the extractor hook. Mauser barrels also have a large cut in the chamber area to accommodate the extractor. Mauser lost an eye during early phases of development to escaping gas, subsequently equipping bolts with baffles to deflect gas away from the shooter.

The weak link in all of this is the brass cartridge case, once it fails, high velocity pressurized gas escaping through the action will wreak havoc on any rifle. Gas venting becomes the deciding safety factor in any action, Remington does it as well as any.

The Remington is safest with the original extractor, and compromised when the bolt is cut away for the Sako type extractor. This defeats the gas containment system.

Remington bolt handles are silver brazed to the bolt body, so they can be broken off, as when hitting them with an object when a cartridge sticks. Same with the post '64 Winchesters, where the bolt is two piece, and many others. There is a modification where the bolt is screwed down after sliver brazing.

Remington actions are plentiful and cheap. Bonus is that there are zillions of aftermarket accessories, parts and accuracy upgrades available for them. The 40X single shot action is a bit stiffer and offers a bit more accuracy when set up properly.

Remington actions that are completely reworked with all the bells and whistles and a high end barrel are accurate enough for anything except competitive benchrest. All in all, they are a good safe product with almost unlimited potential for modification.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.