Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I've had heart troubles since my early 40's and between that and the required meds feet are a problem. I got some cabela's ultimate -140 1200 grm thinsulate with pac liners besides and they have been a goddsend as I am limited to stand hunting anymore. They also made ice fishing viable for me again. If someone is in extremes I would highly recommend them. Prior to all that 600 grms always worked for me, with appropriate socks, etc.

Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a pair of the Artic Shields, they work great. The one thing I didn't see mentioned, carry a spare set of socks, change when I get to my stand, that's the first thing I do.If I'm gonna sit for a while throw on the boot blankets. Never could stand the sock liners, but my feet sweat, so I have to keep them dry when sitting. If I don't change socks the blankets don't work.Don't own a pair of insulated boots. This North Georgia, low teens.

Joe

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks again, I appreciate all the responses.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fremont
Originally Posted by Azar
I had a saleswoman tell me that rating tells you how cold they were rated for (while actively moving):
Thinsulate 400 = -40 degrees F
Thinsulate 600 = -60 degrees F
Thinsulate 800 = -80 degrees F
etc.
LMAO I guess I won' be going to Lane Bryant to buy my next pair.

Ha ha. No, actually it was the local Sportsmans Warehouse. Figured it was just salesperson B.S. so I bought the pair that fit me best. Ended up being a Thinsulate 800 boot (I wanted a 400 or 600 but didn't care for the boots they came in).

As I said before, with a good pair of wool socks they've been great in every hunting condition I've used them in.

Last edited by Azar; 11/03/09.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
As a kid I hunted a lot with really, painfully cold feet in cheap, uninsulated work boots. I swore that some day I would have good boots. Our deer season is long here, from mid-October to mid-December. That and the different terrains make it really tough for me to get by with one pair of boots. For that reason I have four pairs. I have a pair of uninsulated, zip up the side knee boots for warm weather and a pair of insulated Muck boots for thirties and forties or real wet areas. I've got a pair of lace up, lightly insulated leather boots for tough terrain that are good from the single digit temperatures up into the forties, and a pair of heavily insulated cold weather boots if it gets below the single digits. None of those work well on horseback so I guess you could say I use five pairs. I guess I like the leather lace ups better than anything for walking and general comfort but if I could only have one pair I'd find the Muck boots the most practical. The problem is my feet sweat a lot in them and end up getting cold if I walk very far then sit for a long time.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in the same general predicament. Need to order boots this week.
I'm lookin at these:
http://www.altrec.com/sorel-boots/mens-conquest-snow-boot-old-mens-conquest-sn
and these:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19683

I've read pretty good reviews of both.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
cra1948- thats what I wore last year was just a pair of waterproof leather work boots. My feet got so sore cause they have no cushion and then they froze. Maybe with a good insole, sock liners and heavy wool blend socks I'll do better this year. Till I can get a pair of good boots.

Aileinduinn-both of those boots look great. BTW, I like your avatar...gotta love Dethklok!

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There is no such thing as too much thinsulate in a boot.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CraigCollier

Aileinduinn-both of those boots look great. BTW, I like your avatar...gotta love Dethklok!

Heh, thanks. Few have recognized.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Aileinduinn

Heh, thanks. Few have recognized.

laugh Im going to buy their new album tomorrow.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I purchased 200, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 gram thinsulate from Wally's. I would definately not go above 600 for the temp you mentions. I have never used the 1000s since I can go to the low twentys just standing around doing nothing and still be warm.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a pair of Wolverine Ridgetops[ I think thats what they're called] with 600 grams Thinsulate. Used 'em in Utah last year and they worked great, with the right type of socks! You can try them at Bass Pro. About $100-$120. Ilike 'em. And they are comfortable. Good luck. Tom

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks again. It's forcasted to not be that cold opening weekend so I think Im going to use the leather work boots with sock liners and heavy socks. I may see about adding a Dr. Schoal (sp?) insert for some more cushioning.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i can count about 4 times in my life when i have thought my feet were too warm and about 400 when they were too cold.
so i opt for 1000gr min.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
hehe, thanks I think Im right there with ya lol

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm getting ready to buy a new pair of boots this year. Last year was the first time I had hunted since my dad died so I just used a pair of all leather boots and thick socks. Well, my feet froze, as was expected on a couple of the really cold days.

Anyway, I don't want to spend a lot and I've found several pairs for under $100. However, I don't really know how much Thinsulate to be looking for based on the climate here. 600? 800? 1000? Our modern gun season runs the middle to end of november (basically) and usually it doesn't get THAT cold. I think last year it dipped into the low 30's a couple of days but not more.

I stand hunt and stationary ground hunt, so I need something thats going to keep my feet warm, but I don't want really heavy boots. I'm nearly 300lbs and very short legged so its hard enough tromping around in the woods hahaha.

I wouldn't mind even going a bit lighter on the thinsulate if i needed to and getting a pair of those boot cover things to put on once I was in the stand.

What do you guys use and recommend? I live in the Southern IL/far Western KY area.

any boot under $100 is going to be garbage, don't skimp on the boots, especially being a big guy, I am 6'1 240 and even me being that heavy challenges and puts to test most any boot.

400 gram goretex is a good all around boot, it works ok from about 70 degrees on down to the low teens for me which is 90% of my hunting, I wear 400gram danner frontiers, with a sock adjustment I can makes these boots work for most condidtions, I wear a coolmax sock which is good from warm temps down to the mid 20's a heavy wool sock is my choice below that. keep in mind when its below the mid 20's most of the time I am also trudging through snow. if you don't keep moving your fee will get cold, if I don't plan to move much, see deep snow and or colder temps, I move to my 13" schnee pack boots.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My 800 gram Rocky boots were under $100 and they are doing pretty well. The key is to wait till the spring and get a good pair of boots on sale for an awesome price. Then use them during the spring, summer, and fall every once in a while to break them in. 800 grams seems about right for 10-60 degrees with a walking and sitting mixture. they aren't cumbersome at all to me. When sitting in colder temps, they can start to get cold, but It just takes a little foot movement to start warming them again. In warmer temps wile active they can get a little warm, but not too bad. I think 800 grams is a good balance. I do like my pack boots for 10 to -20 degrees, but they aren't fun to walk far distances in cause they are (big, fat, and very soft)= warm.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When I'm gonna sit on a stand & it's cold, I'll carry my good boots & wool socks in a small daypack & wait until I get to the stand to put them on. Maybe it's just me but my feet sweat very easily & it's the only way I've found to keep my feet fairly comfortable...oh yeah...& what N Dave said, don't lace them up tight & be aware of the circulation thing, it helps a lot.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Never thought about the lacing thing before. I like my boots tight, with not alot of movement..mainly because I thought it contributed to blisters and sore spots if your boots are loose.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I hate big clunky boots and I hate sweaty feet. I wear and uninsulated boot down to freezing temps. If you wear sock liners and thick wool socks your feet should be fine if you keep them dry. Keep some adhesive toe warmers in your pack if you need them. For colder temps while sitting on stand the Arctic Sheild boot blankets are the way to go. Cotton socks, even the thick ones, will not come close to the warmth of wool.I have to prove it to myself every year. laugh

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.