Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Wipe Out does a great job of removing copper but leaves the carbon behind. Carbon build up will make a barrel shoot like crap. Always use a carbon remover before the Wipe Out.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

I agree. I once did a test in which I cleaned with Wipeout and patches until the patches came out clean. So after this you'd think the barrel was completely clean, right? Well, I followed this up with a cleaning using a Shooters Choice/Kroil blend and a bronze bore brush. That was followed by a wet patch of SC/Kroil. The powder fouling on that patch was considerably more than I expected to see. So, now I first clean for powder and if I think copper is a problem, only then do I use the Wipeout (or Montana Extreme 50BMG if I want it done now).

Weiners are health food - My dad
BP-B6

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am pretty sure that wipeout sold them(gunslick) manufacturing rights

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a bad experience with Wipeout that I think should be told. I applied it at the barrel end and had a small amount get into the action. This was on an ADL stocked gun, so I just did my best to let the excess drain out and let it go at that. Big mistake - a couple of days later, with my wife shooting, on the second shot she couldn't get the action to open. I had to use a small hammer on the action and had a shell with the primer blown out the back of the casing. I believe this was due to residue in the action affecting the seating of the bullet. Not sure, but this was a load that I had used several times before with no pressure signs at all. So, my only precaution when using this product is to ensure you thoroughly remove the excess, and if some gets into the action/chamber area, ensure you take the time to remove your stock if necessary and again clean up any excess. I believe I would be remiss if I didn't post this experience.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to this thread and look at rcamuglia's post, about half way down-

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/645100744/m/683102629

Bore scope check after using WipeOut.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I start with Hoppe's and a brush to get carbon crud out, patch the Hoppe's and crud out then foam up.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used the Gunslick foam and I think it works just as good as Wipeout. Haven no idea if it is licensed from Wipeout or not.

Also agree with the general consensus here that Wipeout is useless for getting the carbon out. I use MP7 before WO.

regards
JohnT

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, batch, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.