Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Nasty birds. I wouldn't feed one to a barn cat. I marinated one in a terriaki/garlic/beer mix and all I did was waste a beer.

"If all the good luck and all the bad luck I've had were put together, I reckon it'd make the biggest damned pile of luck in the world." Charlie Goodnight

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laugh Nope! Never did!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eastplace
Nasty birds. I wouldn't feed one to a barn cat. I marinated one in a terriaki/garlic/beer mix and all I did was waste a beer.

Never had a merganser but I have tried to make fish eating ducks taste less like rotten seafood with little success. grin
Wood ducks are good.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And you expected what, given their diet? LOL

Beautiful bird, though.

Common, Red-breasted, or Hooded?

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shovelers ain't worth a damn either...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Again, consider the diet of a NOSH. Been birding at a sewage pond? Smothered in them.

Mmmm.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Common type.

My kids will eat anything too, but my daughter spit it out on the plate and said it tasted like hand sanitizer.
This from the girl who asked why god only put one liver in a pronghorn.

"If all the good luck and all the bad luck I've had were put together, I reckon it'd make the biggest damned pile of luck in the world." Charlie Goodnight

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to eat every bird I shot, out of principle. Hooded Mergansers weren't as bad as Red Breasted Mergansers. I had a hard time eating bluebills. It's a great incentive to learn your ducks and stop shooting them. We'd breast them, soak the meat in milk and flour and deep fry. That or the long soak in Texas Pete, flour and deep fry. I must provide a disclaimer to the previous, that I have used a merganser or bluebill as a strategic weapon more than once. A properly placed merganser in the vehicle of the class bully or in the windshield wash bucket at your friend's garage was funny. A bluefish in the toilet tank, bluegills in the hubcaps... yada yada.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If you haven't hidden a bluefish behind your buddies truck seat you really have missed something special. The light bulb just went on with what to do with the other mergansers.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Same as Oldsquaw - marinate yourself in beer for four hours, nail it to a cedar board, in the oven at 400 for 45 min., take it out, throw away the duck, and eat the board.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My neighbor,rest his soul,use to love mergansers.He would nail them to the wall ,and let them hang there WHOLE for a few days in the sun,before cleaning them.True story.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Maybe the rotting gets rid of the merganser taste. God knows a 6pack isn't doing it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hell NO! I just finally figured out how to drink Pearl Beer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
PM your address I'll mail you one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eastplace
If you haven't hidden a bluefish behind your buddies truck seat you really have missed something special. The light bulb just went on with what to do with the other mergansers.

I have. And in his tool box. I got caught by his neighbor belly crawling across his lawn with one I planted under the seat. He was going to call the police until I slid the thing out of the bag and flashed an evil grin. He shook his head and went back in the house. Bluefish in the windshield wash bucket with the tail sticking out is funny too!

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rob p
I had a hard time eating bluebills.

If they are the same Bluebills that we get down here then they must improve dramatically. I count it as a big plus when I can take home two BBs. Redheads are good too. Pintails are the best in my opinion.

"Old Smiley" flies late in the morning and high so he's not hard to leave alone. Never shot nor tried to eat a Merganser. Might use one to bait a coyote up to use as buzzard bait and eat the buzzard.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Merganser??? isnt that whats called a "water turkey?"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Cormorant

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I haven't heard that one but I would eat the guts out of a turkey before I would eat another ganzer.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The black ones??? yuck! we avoid them like the plague...never ate one but I hear they are something to behold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.