-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At the time this all unfolded various people posted links to photos that had been previously captured of this bull - mostly during the summer months.
I'm sure the bull was very nocturnal as Moss stated but there was plenty of daylight photos of him on different hunting forums, including one of him wandering past some camping trailers.

Within a very short time after the kill Mossback had the website up with the sponsors and logo featuring the unique rack. It was clear it had all been prepared in advance. It didn't appear that there was ever a question about the what the final outcome would be.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Al Klassen is the guy who shot the elk in the Yukon.....he snapped this pic of me....we hunted up there 58 days that year.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK...this is getting ridiculous!!! grin

Do you ever stop and take time out to eat?....or do you just hunt..??? wink

And I thought I had BTDT.........

laugh
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Sorry....I've got a thing for dall sheep.....grin!

No hijack intended....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flinch
I went to the Cabelas near my home and took a gander at the new world record Spider Bull from about a foot away. He looks a whole lot more impressive in the pictures than in person. The rack on that bull doesn't even constitute "cool, gnarly, impressive or have the cool trash factor". His rack is retarded, ugly and looks like a bad birth defect. It doesn't even look real, since it is so mangled from bizarre growth. The main beams are short and stubby looking. To say I was unimpressed was an understatement. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE trashy, unique racks better than anything, but his rack didn't do a thing for me. There are a couple of 400 class bulls near the spider bull and they look IMPRESSIVE! Too bad such an ugly bull holds the record. There are hundreds of better looking bulls that adorn the walls of stores and homes in the area. Do a search for the "spider bull" and you will see what I mean. I need to figure out how to post pictures again...LOL Flinch

I also saw the bull at cabelas, in person its surprising how small it looks, the height and spread may even be less than my 324 bull. if you look at the pictures keep in mind the hunter is sitting back as far away as he can from the rack, I agree the other 400 class bulls in the cabelas trophy room look alot better and bigger, this rack isn't that big it just has measurable points going everywhere.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 11/09/09.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I Love it!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are some very nice sheep there, scenarshooter. I'd love to hunt them someday before I'm too damn old...if my knees will let me. I don't figure too many of those critters come easy for anyone. There is, for me, a direct relationship between effort involved and the feeling of accomplishment/satisfaction one has after it's all over. I reckon a guy's gotta be pretty high after killing one of those white beauties. Hope to find out for myself one of these days.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Flinch
I went to the Cabelas near my home and took a gander at the new world record Spider Bull from about a foot away. He looks a whole lot more impressive in the pictures than in person. The rack on that bull doesn't even constitute "cool, gnarly, impressive or have the cool trash factor". His rack is retarded, ugly and looks like a bad birth defect. It doesn't even look real, since it is so mangled from bizarre growth. The main beams are short and stubby looking. To say I was unimpressed was an understatement. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE trashy, unique racks better than anything, but his rack didn't do a thing for me. There are a couple of 400 class bulls near the spider bull and they look IMPRESSIVE! Too bad such an ugly bull holds the record. There are hundreds of better looking bulls that adorn the walls of stores and homes in the area. Do a search for the "spider bull" and you will see what I mean. I need to figure out how to post pictures again...LOL Flinch

I aggree, butt ugly and a sorry world record.
It really is too bad Utah doen't have wolves as this frankenelk would have been served up long befre he was a "spider" anything.
Says a lot about the need for preditors to clean-up the jean pool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just because people don't like the hunter or the method it doesn't take away from the animal.

Otto is my co-pilot.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by NathanL
Just because people don't like the hunter or the method it doesn't take away from the animal.

Real Elk live with wolves.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was a "public land" bull, but cost something over 100K, with a small army of guys keeping an eye out for it.
Some of the DWR have speculated to me that the total cost was probably in the $600K range...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Flinch,

I would have to agree. As I was looking at the bull last February in SLC at the EXPO, I was talking with a friend. We were debating the Wall of Elk that Mossback was displaying. We both agreed that there were several other bulls on that wall we would have gladly killed, before the Spider bull. I especially liked the big Typical 6 points that have made central Utah famous.

FH

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Monroe Mountain has always been a special draw hunt, but with the taking of this bull, "Special Draw" takes on a whole new meaning. I hunted the Escalante Mountains for several years, unguided but was able to draw for Monroe Mountain.

CDR3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree it's an ugly bull. I'd much prefer a lower-scoring typical 6x6 on my wall. That being said, I find it strange that the guy is being criticized for hunting techniques that are commonplace in Africa. Let the wealthy enjoy their money. It means nothing to me. Trophies are in the eye of the beholder. Where I hunt, ANY legal bull is a trophy.

JV

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 444afic
I agree it's an ugly bull. I'd much prefer a lower-scoring typical 6x6 on my wall. That being said, I find it strange that the guy is being criticized for hunting techniques that are commonplace in Africa. Let the wealthy enjoy their money. It means nothing to me. Trophies are in the eye of the beholder. Where I hunt, ANY legal bull is a trophy.

I agree except when it represents the world record.JV

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The spider bull is the world record nontypical Rocky Mountain bull--I keep forgetting that B&C has a nontypical catagory for RM elk now......

The typical record is still that Arizona bull that was killed in the late 60's, and discovered 10 years ago or so......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Flinch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I drew "THE" tag a couple of years ago for Wasatch Mountains. Patterned a 400 bull like crazy. He lived in the worst country you could imagine. I did everything right one evening, started to draw back on him at 25 yards and a twig cracked under my boot. I sat down and cried. I got on the bull 3 days later again. He was tough to get on due to the steep terrain and extremely thick brush and poor wind conditions. He and his 29 cows were coming up the trail towards me at 400 yards, right on schedule. The wind was finally right and all was well. I was going nuts waiting for him to herd his cows along. Suddenly a rifle shot rang out with the "thwack" that comes shortly after it. Yup, he got poached right out from under me. I never caught the guy and try as I may, couldn't locate the dead bull. I cried a lot that day. I had one day left to hunt, so called in and wacked a nice 5x6 bull. No huge trophy, but with a bow, it is a dang nice bull. I had passed up tons of bigger bulls during the season. I was so fixated on that big bull. I knew I could get him and would have. You just don't see them that often. Then the next night I had 2 350 class 6 point bulls come in on my water hole. Uggg...my luck totally sucks! Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Flinch and others,

My good friend and his brother finally drew Monroe tags this year. Only 16 years of putting in. Anyway, Mike was in bulls the entire time and had a BLAST. He ended up killing a 350 5 point bull on the last night, but had passed on bulls pushing 385 hoping for that elusive 400 point bull. His brother killed a bull around 380.

He keeps telling me to "not settle". I have 9 points going into this next draw and find myself willing to "settle" for a different hunt. I know I could draw several tags for archery, but shoot, for a once in a lifetime hunt, I think I should have my rifle with me. Decisions, Decisions.

Sorry about your bull being poached Flinch. I think I read that story before. Still what JV said about any legal bull, seems so true here in the general seasons too.

FH

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.