Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[Linked Image]
Strike anywhere wooden safety matches
Ideal for all outdoor activities
I have seen strike anywhere at Safeway up here, never paid much attention to what brand, I still have a box at home somewhere, could not tell you the brand, but they are pretty old ones.
They work well.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Partsman;
Thank you kindly sir, that would be them!

All the best to you from the south Okanagan this morning.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fire is dangerous, too dangerous for civilian use. Hain't y'all never heard of spontaneous combustion. You just pile up your sticks and wait for them to catch on fire by themselves.

Seriously though, I've got a medicine bottle crammed full of Stike-anywheres in my truck for emergencies. Thats the emergency that occurs after all the lighters I've got scattered around have run out of butane. I have some others that I keep in the boat that are water proof. I can't recall the brand but they have a big blue and white head covered in a waxy type varnish. They strike and burn very well but are a bit pricy for keeping laying around the kitchen but I guess if they light they're better than Diamonds.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My memories of those matches involve a Daisy BB gun. Dropped into the muzzle (with no BBs loaded) they are a hoot when fired against any solid surface. Just don't shoot at a rock in a weed field.

But I won't say how I know that!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember doing that!

Not to hijack but have you ever put a match to Magnesium dust, What a sight,ask me how I know.

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always keep my matches in a baggy whether in a tent or trailer or? Moisture will kill them. That being said. You can't find any strikde anywhere matches around here. I'm down to two boxes. I hear you can still find them in Amish country

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
assuming you could still see afterward.... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very bright!

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My memories of those matches involve a Daisy BB gun. Dropped into the muzzle (with no BBs loaded) they are a hoot when fired against any solid surface. Just don't shoot at a rock in a weed field.

Light anywhere matches shot from a pneumatic pellet gun at right angles into a concrete wall at close range, and they will make a nice loud bang.
Ah, the stuff kids do.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Even though they're a bit pricey, $5.00 for a small box, Stormproof matches by REI are the best I've encountered. They light first strike, won't blow out and even if immersed in water, they'll relight once removed from water.

Perhaps too pricey to use around camp but they've always worked for me out in the woods. They, along with a metal match, is what we also carry in our Search and Rescue packs.

"Man is not free unless government is limited. As government expands, liberty contracts." Ronald Reagan.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
Is it just me, or has the quality and dependability of Diamond strike anywhere matches gone to hell in the last 2 years? I used to put 8 or 10 in my pocket on outings with full confidence they could be used to get a fire going. Now it seems only 1 out of 10 will ignite, even for those left in the wall tent overnight and run across the striker. I think they have degraded the amount and chemistry of the tip, and most just seem to sputter.

Is there another obscure brand or source that still work? Much as I hate carrying things with moving parts or fluids, I will likely switch to packing Bic lighters and maybe a flint and steel.

If one knows of another good source, please post it. I want good boxes of simple matches. Not the $5.00 pack of a dozen or so wax dipped versions that are marketed as water proof.

Just my rant, 1Minute
Get yourself a magnesium rod with a flint rod attached. Takes some time to scrape off a little pile of the magnesium shavings, but then you just spark it with your knife and flint and it goes up in flames on your kindling and wood shavings, then some tinder, etc., and you have a fire.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Strike-anywhere matches are easy to find online. Amazon carries a number of different brands. The problem is getting them delivered. They have to be labeled as hazmat and UPS charges an exorbitant fee for them. It's a rip because their added cost for handling them is almost nil.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Strike-anywhere matches are easy to find online. Amazon carries a number of different brands. The problem is getting them delivered. They have to be labeled as hazmat and UPS charges an exorbitant fee for them. It's a rip because their cost for handling them is almost nil.

the high cost isnt in handling them, the high cost is incase the worst happens and they ignite and everyone elses packages in the back of the truck go up in flames....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Strike-anywhere matches are easy to find online. Amazon carries a number of different brands. The problem is getting them delivered. They have to be labeled as hazmat and UPS charges an exorbitant fee for them. It's a rip because their cost for handling them is almost nil.

the high cost isnt in handling them, the high cost is incase the worst happens and they ignite and everyone elses packages in the back of the truck go up in flames....

They charge the same fee for stuff that won't ignite. I spent 18 years working for an LTL carrier. The extra cost was built into the freight rates but it was nowhere near as high as what UPS charges.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I knew that as soon at it really got going it was going to melt the glass.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Looks like my cooking. Hard to watch, though, with the #$%^&* popup ads. They're getting by Firefox's popup blocker.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Texas Hunter, tease the steel wool into a loose strand long enough to reach the two poles of the battery. Arrange your tinder and other fire materials, because after you touch the steel wool to the battery, it will burn quickly.

A 9-volt batt works much better. Put the steel wool under everything else, then stick the battery under the pile until you get a connection. Whoosh.

Yup, 9v works much better than the 1.5v C and D cell batteries, plus its lighter.

And in reference to doing fun things with matches...did you know if you take a tennis ball or other small hollow ball, and make an opening in it and fill it with the match heads of the good strike anywhere matches till its packed real good, seal the opening then throw it really hard against a wall or other solid object, it effectively becomes a small grenade? smile

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Been there, done that

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This one's kinda cool,....good old rocket fuel

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAYBB8kcxxw&feature=related

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (10Glocks, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 22 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,710
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.