Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
well I don't know if thats record territory, but I demand less than 3 inch groups from my test ammo at 600, and I'm hoping for less, best was Kayla/s barrel that I shot quite a few test groups out of that was under 2 inches consistently...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
That is great shooting. If I were you, I would take that rifle and load to the nearest F-class match and get my High Master classification right away. 2.5 inch groups at 600 yards, that's in record territory. You probably do that offhand right?

grin grin

...quite frankly I used to shoot some AR matches and I suck offhand. No, this is all bench and prone shooting...

Here is my friends range...the target backers are at a lasered 100,300,600 and 800 yards..

[Linked Image]

Here is the .69" group at 300 with the LTR...

[Linked Image]

The 5" group at 600 with the stock Stag M4 #3 Flat Top...

[Linked Image]

I have the 1.9" 600 yard .223 LTR target downstairs but have never taken a picture of it. I didn't have a camera out at the range the days the Sweet 16 was being shot and left the targets on the backer board...

Elevated prone shooting bench... The owner of the property just got done putting up an overhead cover and building a very heavy standard shooting bench..

[Linked Image]

Friend Paul shooting his .308 LTR

[Linked Image]

Here is a 3 shot group he fired in the fall of 2008. He misjudged the wind for the first three shots and hit the target in the elbow...

[Linked Image]

The wind changed slightly and he took a new holdoff...and center punched the target..

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/LongRange050208021.jpg[/img]

But if you notice behind the target...you see some berm and the sky...that is because that is the last target on the range...at 800 yards...

So the best I am doing is 1.9" at 600...he is doing 1.4" at 800...he's the one who needs to be competitively shooting.

So far with that Sweet 16 the smallest group at 600 has been 2" and the largest a little over 4". If you doubt that PM CF Member Firearms44. He sold me that rifle and has been out to that range with us...

Bob Makowski

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm sorry, I smile at such "groups." But that's just because they don't tell you much of anything. I think 5 rounds are a bare minimum to get any idea of the possibilities with your rifle system; more rounds is better. (For example an F-class match is 2 sighters and 20 rounds for record.) I also love your shooting tunnel, it takes away most issues with wind and mirage. As long as you compete or hunt under similar circumstances, you'll be fine. I am not denigrating your abilities, I just have a hard time matching your setup to other environments in which I usually shoot.

At any rate, I loaded up some 75 gr Swift Scirroco II yesterday and after the match today, I ran over to the 100 yard range to test the load. Wow, those bullets are phenomenal; I only had enough ammo for two 5-round groups and came up with two proverbial sub-MOA groups. Not bad for a first outing with a made up load and mag length bullets. If I had time, I would work on them a little more but this will have to do for hunting purposes. These bullets have a .400+ BC, quite amazing little bullets.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You are most correct in that this range takes all the "fun" out of shooting...but for testing loads and guns it is ideal.

As to three vs. five vs. ten round groups I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. I used to shoot five round groups but when the results kept coming out about the same then why waste the ammo...

What I am looking for is the first shot from a cold barrel, not "groups". When doing initial testing on a rifle it may take me an hour to fire a three or five shot "group". I've also shot a three shot group over the period of an afternoon or a week...

You are in a whole different world...you have to know if your rifle will begin walking when it heats up...I do not...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Bob, for your purposes, I think you're doing it properly. I just have a difficult time restraining myself from laughing out loud when I hear claims of sub MOA all the way out. As you know, atmospheric conditions have a nasty habit of making those claims so much hot wind, so to speak.

I have tested some hunting rifles, and while I could get very decent 3 shot group, the fourth and fifth and so one, would just be passing aquaintances in a congregation. These thin hunting barrel heat up quick. Not like my truck-axle of a barrel on my match rifles.

Denys

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey, I got a truck axle for a hunting tube too....

I have no issues at all with 3 shot groups. But I have to have more than a couple of them to prove anything.

For sure in load development I"m to the point of shooting a ladder test first(old Audette) and then shoot 3 shot groups of the chosen area of charge weights...no need in loading up a bunch of rounds you have no clue of if they'll hit a piece of typing paper or not.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think we all tend to place everyone in our circumstances.

I mean, a target shooter gets all worked up if a gun doesn't repeat sub MOA as long as he pulls the trigger. And a hunter really only cares about the first or maybe the second shot so 3 shot groups are good to go for him.

Lord forgive us if we try to mix the two views.

Hedging your bets by shooting in a tube takes alot of variables out and tells us what the rifle will do. Maybe this is where the "if I do my part" that is now popular to make fun of comes in.

Me, I loathe truck axle barrels. I don't care how good they shoot, I'm not gonna drag one around all day long. So put me in the 3 shot group pile.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Jeff, what are you hunting with a one-inch diameter tube?

TWR, my point was more about the tunnel that Bob is using than the number of shots. For hunting purposes, the cold bore shot and maybe one follow up is all that is needed. (Except for Jeff who needs the heat stability provided by a truck-axle barrel. I suspect he puts 20-30 rounds in the deer for some reason.)

I elected to use this AR this year, simply because it's about the only rifle I have that is not as heavy as a crew-served weapon. I got a 5 shot mag for it, only because they did not have a 3-shot mag. I was thinking of using my sled and single load, but that was a bit much I think.

At any rate, the Swift Scirocco II bullet is an amazing .224 diameter bullet, and I hope to report back later this season about how it did its job.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nah, I dump one round in, but then I've also been known to drop as many as 3-5 pigs off a sendero before the rest can escape....

I don't have a one inch tube on my 7mm, but I dang sure have a heavy to me tube, think its a 6 or larger contour. At 28 inches its not light and not all that portable.

And of course back to the AR hunting with one a 20 round mag has never been a problem size wise. Plus I dont' have to carry ammo in the pack...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
SIX ? You wuss, that's a light Target contour. Barely .750 at the muzzle. That's what my little AR has, the one I'm taking to the woods. Then again, it's only a 20 inch barrel.

Also, thanks for telling me. I was going to go check in the hunting regulations for the magazine capacity limitation, so you saved me some time there. I think I will still use the 5 rounder though. It's nice and small.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
TX has no mag restrictions at this point.

Yeah, lets talk about wimp barrels once you pack this thing around to the stands and back...hahaha

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
FTR- 'preciate the feedback. If i'm not mistaken that Scirocco has a heavier jacket designed for big game--correct? In your opinion what kind of terminal effect will u get at ~500 yds.?
The 2 75's--
[Linked Image]
Here's what we need back--
[Linked Image]
75 A-Max @ VLD Mag. length--
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
sscoyote, I must confess that I know a great deal about internal ballistics and external ballistics, but I am clueless about terminal ballistics. As I said earlier, I am a serial paper puncher, and while I am very good at that, I am not much of a hunter.

I believe that you are correct about the jacket of the Scirocco II. The bullet is designed to hold together and mushroom at a wide range of velocity. These high BC bullets (which I have been able to load to magazine length,) have a very high BC for hunting bullets. I did not chrono this load, but for the same amount of powder as I used in this load, I push a 77gr SMK to 2700FPS in a 20 inch barrel.

This is what Swift claims for various velocities:
http://www.swiftbullets.com/sirocco_intro.html

At 500 yards, I think I would be close to the 2100FPS figure. I should think that would knock the snot out of a coyote. I was very impressed with the accuracy that I got with these bullets with exactly zero rounds of load development. I just took my load for 77SMK, loaded 20 rounds, mag-length of Sciroccos and got two sub-MOA 5 shot groups. The first one was 4 inches high at 100 yards and the second one was 1 inch high at the same distance, after adjusting the scope. I have 10 loaded rounds left for hunting and 80 bullets yet to load. Very impressive bullet.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The Swift won't open near as well as the amax at that distance, and the amax isn't a violent opener at that distance either, caliber in , dime out... that was a deer I took at 556 or 565 with my service rifle one evening... long story but folks don't think you can do things like that with iron sights and a 223....little did they know....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.