Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Don, the Field & Stream article is dead wrong about the m7MS and KS both were made when Dupont owned Remington. The old KS is twice the rifle the new Bell and Carson stocked "customs" are. I hope Dakota makes it but the old Remington Custom Shop offerings are better than the new.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I always wondered about doing a Dakota chambering but tweaking the bolt face and extractor so RUM brass could be used. Maybe Remington could do this.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have little faith in the "bean counters" at Remington, Winchester, Savage or about any of the firearms companies, they are pretty much out of touch with gun nuts, reps are fresh out of college and got their minds made up etc...They think only in terms of dollars saved with poor production practices, quality control, and with little thought to customer relations other than they sure can talk it up..

If I sound bitter, I guess I am to a degree, but I don't buy their stuff anyway so my vote won't count! smile

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by atkinson
If I sound bitter, I guess I am to a degree...

Ray, you do speak your mind! Nothing wrong with that. But - dare I ask - if Dakota were yours, what would you do with it's product line in an attempt to make the company viable?

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
......................They think only in terms of dollars saved with poor production practices, quality control, and with little thought to customer relations other than they sure can talk it up..

If I sound bitter, I guess I am to a degree, but I don't buy their stuff anyway so my vote won't count! smile

Yea but the REASON you don't buy they stuff is because they DO think that way. If they didn't maybe you WOULD buy their stuff - Your Vote DOES count...............................DJ

Last edited by djpaintless; 11/19/09.

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
having been a rep for a 3 year period, I agree with Ray , it's all about the dollar, not about quality, but about the dollar.
I could tell you horror stories about Wally World buyers.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
The old KS is twice the rifle the new Bell and Carson stocked "customs" are. I hope Dakota makes it but the old Remington Custom Shop offerings are better than the new.

+1...........and the prices were sort of reasonable on the old ones; the prices on the new ones are ridiculous.

I've got an old KS in 270, circa 1990, and it's maybe the most perfect rifle I've ever owned.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by djpaintless
The 7 and 330 Dakota are superb rounds, it would be nice to see them come out in standard rifles and less expensive brass would be nice too.

Ditto that.....and the 76 handles them great from a function standpoint.I think they very good cartridges,better than the 7mmRM and 338WM counterparts.I think the 7mmDakota is the best commercially-made 7mm of magnum capacity to come down the pike.Only thing that kills it is ammo availability.Remington should mainstream it and the other Dakota cartridges.

I do agree the stock shaping could be tweaked a bit;and for the prices they charge,I'd go to a higher end synthetic like a McMillan. The synthetic stock they now offer has too open a grip,comb too low;looks like it lives in a wind tunnel....

Far as I'm concerned, the stuff from the Remington Custom Shop is off the charts...would not even consider one,notwithstanding what Petzal says.I can get a far better rifle for the money......

I have never seen a KS from the 90's that was not a "drill";some had Krieger and Douglas barrels.Good rifles,and can be bought used for a ton less than a new one...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
[quote=BobinNH
Far as I'm concerned, the stuff from the Remington Custom Shop is off the charts...would not even consider one,notwithstanding what Petzal says.I can get a far better rifle for the money......
[/quote]

I felt the same as you when I saw the pricing for those Remington Custom Shop Rifles. The pricing is ludicrous, for the rifle you end up with.
All I need to do with my new FN Model 70 is spring for some high grade Walnut, and I'd take it over a $3500 Model 700.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I only got in this thread only �cause I had seen the Petzal comments but I have continued to follow it as it is kinda interesting from a marketing perspective. Dakota is wayyyyyy outta my league but then I do have an appreciation for a lot of things I can�t afford

I don�t post here much but I�m here almost every day so I�ve come to �know� some personalities and have drawn some conclusions, demographics if you will, about this group. Perhaps the dominant demographic for this group is that you would NEVER have an off-the-shelf rifle if possible. You know what you want and you�re vocal about what you don�t like. Y�all would be custom all the way. You'd build one and then you�d want another one �cause mayyyyyyybe you didn�t get something just right in the last one. If you had a new Dakota, there�d be that one little thing you�d want to change so I�m guessing Dakota will target some other demographics - those who don�t want to be bothered with the tedium of custom work, those to whom expense is not particularly a consideration and those who expect personal service.

This surely has to be done in a profitable business model and I see some potential economies of scale with the Custom Shop - the aforementioned button-rifled, lapped barrels; machinings and perhaps outside purchases. I think it takes some cojones to buy any gun company in this economy with Barry �n th� Boyz lurking in Washington, declining license sales and hunting opportunities, but then the wealthier demographic is probably the least affected by these conditions. Sometimes it just takes a shot of money to stabilize a company and enable it to do the things it needed to do in the first place. And, like some coaches who just seem born to their games, we�ll see if Mr. Martinez is �da Man�. "Time will tell, hockey will smell and water will seek it�s own level." - somebody

This said, I�ll now go back to lurking.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.