Print Thread
Hop To
T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I like to target shoot while sitting in my drivers seat out the window,I need a good bag/rest designed for this,really I just target shoot(no critters),I do this in the dead of winter with the heat on,nice & comfy,any ideas?

thanks

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Get a "Straddle Bag" from Cabela's or one from the Lead Sled people with the plastic beads as "sand". Carter's Country has them here in Houston -- don't know about near you. Basically they are meant for deer stand windows and seat perpendicular to the benchrest orientation of owl ear front rest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I would be checking you local laws concerning shooting from a motor vehicle first and foremost.
I know for a fact here in Washington state it is a no no, even on private property.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Take a wood 2 X 2 - 10-12" long cut a groove in it to set over the glass and pad it with foam and a vinyl cover.

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are plenty of bags designed to "hang" over the window, or you can build a proper shooting rest that fits on the outside of the door. These are very popular in Australia. These are a couple of home made ones somebody on anther forum built.

[Linked Image]

These work much better than anything that fits on the actual window as it gives you more space to work so to speak. Using the wwindow only means you tend to end up in a cramped shooting position as it really is a bit close to be ideal...

Last edited by Pete E; 11/21/09.
IC B2

T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
It is O.K. here in razorback country,private land,no road,no critters.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do a search for Dog-gone-good bags. They make just what you are looking for and exceptional quality. Russ

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get a "pool noodle", cut off a suitable length and slit it down one side to the center. Five bucks and five minutes fits every window on the truck.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great... now the boys from the 'hood are gonna make a run to 'R-Us for pool noodles.

grin

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pete E
There are plenty of bags designed to "hang" over the window, or you can build a proper shooting rest that fits on the outside of the door. These are very popular in Australia. These are a couple of home made ones somebody on anther forum built.

[Linked Image]

These work much better than anything that fits on the actual window as it gives you more space to work so to speak. Using the wwindow only means you tend to end up in a cramped shooting position as it really is a bit close to be ideal...

SLED would just LOVE those. I'd be in jail so fast here and this is SC mind you. Go to an NRA range.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Piece of black foam pipe insulation. cheap & easy.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shooting prone out the back of a van (or SUV) works in really bad weather.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blackeyeddueler
I like to target shoot while sitting in my drivers seat out the window,I need a good bag/rest designed for this,really I just target shoot(no critters),I do this in the dead of winter with the heat on,nice & comfy,any ideas?

thanks

around here, you would find yourself in jail for shooting out of the vehicle like that.

I can't see any reason to do so, except maybe practicing for poaching.

Sam......

T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Oh, I have plenty of reasons to shoot like that,mainly because I can shoot for hrs instead of minutes,because of body pain/discomfort.

and in this neck of the woods,we can shoot out of shooting shacks,vehicles,tents,outhouses,barns,trees,holes in the ground,off bicycle,atvs,out of rvs,etc.......

as long long as you are on private land(not a road),and it is daylight,and you are not shooting at an animal,heck we can even shoot any caliber we want,even a bow/arrow if we feel compelled.

have a nice day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

thanks

around here, you would find yourself in jail for shooting out of the vehicle like that.

I can't see any reason to do so, except maybe practicing for poaching.

Stop the drama.. Road hunting dirt rats is a plenty fine reason.

Still kicking .22 wmr brass from last summer around the floorboard of my truck.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yep, I'd highly doubt theres any pickup trucks in Idaho that don't have some empty .22lr brass rolling around in that little inaccesible defroster hole on the dashboard

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get someone else to drive, a canvas tarp around the outside and a Mr. Heater propane heater and your gtg.

[Linked Image]

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

thanks

MTM makes a black, hard, foamlike rest that slides over the window in your door. Then there is a sandbag that is made to hang over the rest and gives a completely solid and movable rest for shooting out of a window. It should be noted, MTM has a disclaimer on the package that says this device is made as a camera rest not a rifle rest as there are some real paranoids out there that think only a low-life scumbag would shoot out their window.

It is illegal to shoot game from a motorized vehicle, but targets and gophers aren't game.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 24 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.