Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sam, that sure looks like my old saddle!

I had a D ring installed up next to the Cantle on the right side of the saddle as you sit. I tie the rifle scabbord on the right side with the butt up, with the muzzle end of the scabbord tied to the front side of the right stirrup. The rifle swings freely for you to use your spurs and heels on the horse as necessary. I pull the rifle out of the saddle as I am getting off, horse or mule knows to plant their feet as I pull the rifle out of the scabbord.

I can't handle a rifle under my leg...leg goes to sleep.

My mules would usually see the game first, even bedded down. They would stop and stare at the game, time to glass, but you had better pull the rifle out of the scabbord and get off with the same motion.

I have this one horse that would start clearing his nose when he got around pigs or bears. He would plant all 4 feet when he heard them or saw them move, like riding big bird dogs.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Lots of good imput. I think that I got into butt forward because a couple of saddle mules, and a horse or two were fussy about activity around their rear ends. I know old working cowboys carried a carbine on the near side to the rear incase they used a rope. I tried carrying a 35 Chilen short rifle on my back like movies of German troopers, and thanks but no thanks. I have tried my 03 in a cavalry boot like one of Pershings boys did and its not too back with an iron sighted rifle. I also have a spooting mule, does good on pointing with ears but I can't get her to lift a leg. My John also refuses to honor her point.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have carried them about every way possible, partly because have hunted with a lot of outfitters. About the only one that may be worst is the low horizontal carry, butt to the rear, on the offside of the horse. You will almost never discover if the rifle fell out until way too late.

The butt-forward carry can always catch on things, no matter whether high or low. Which is why I prefer it high, in front of the saddle, where I can see the darn thing better. It still doesn't guarantee anything, but at least I can keep track of it. It isn't all that much fun in thick timber, but if the timber is that thick I'm often off the horse anyway.

Have been forced to carry rifles scope-down on some horses because of the outfitter. Have seen some slight changes in POI even with small scopes (big ones can be a disaster)but dunno if it was the scope position or just too much rough hunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You guys need to read my post on how I carry that rifle, it was taught to me by an old guide...it works better than all the ways described.

When your rifle faces forward, and the muzzle sticks the animal in the flank, you are in for a shore nuff rodeo with some animals...about the same as getting a stick stuck under the belly cinch...I hit the ground real hard and almost got stomped from that ordeal.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Keith. As I understand it, your rifle is on the off side.To me this would interfere with leading a pack string if things got western a little. Like if a horse/mule sits back on the lead ripe,the lead rope would be bearing down against the rifle,or if things got twisted a bit, the lead rope could wrap around the scabbard.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.