Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
After reading the original posters posts on various threads, I have come to the conclusion that he does NOT know WHAT he wants... How can one expect someone else to tell them what THEY want?

The only reason to build a .260 REm AI is to achieve a 6.5x55 in a SHORT action. If one is using a medium or long action, one might better be served by a 6.5x55. The advantages is many differnt choices of brass, standard production dies. No need to fireform brass, et.al!

Redding dies (top of the line quality) are available from Grafs for 121.99. (A fair bit less than $200) A Lee collet sizer and a quality seating die will be near half that. Why not do it right the 1st time? If one is going to build a wildcat, one should not complain about the price of dies... blush

I own a .260 AI, as well as a couple of standard .260's and numerous 6.5x55's. I am very pleased with my .260 AI, but not because of it's perfomance, but because of who I purchased it from.... ( a very dear friend...) I'd never do another.

Above notwithstanding.... Sometimes one must pee on the electric fence for themselves... smile

Just idle thoughts from a mostly idle mind.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

BP-B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Don't forget the ever-popular 260 AAR... "all around rifle," that is.

Very cool.

Basically a 6.5x57 AI, 6.5-257 AI, or whatever you want to call it...

Makes PERFECT sense in an intermediate length action. 260 Rem AI in short, and 6.5-280 AI in long.

So let it be written, so let it be done... wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"Redding dies (top of the line quality) are available from Grafs for 121.99. (A fair bit less than $200)"

Can't find these anywhere on their site.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Above notwithstanding.... Sometimes one must pee on the electric fence for themselves... smile

Seriously... if building a 260 AI on a long action is equal to peeing on an electric fence then call me a freakin' masochist! smile

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Actually, the price is $120.99, I was wrong.... blush

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
After reading the original posters posts on various threads, I have come to the conclusion that he does NOT know WHAT he wants... How can one expect someone else to tell them what THEY want?

I got that sense as well, and I unloaded on him to an extent I regret. I try real hard to avoid being snippy, but alas, had been in the bottle much of the evening and my even handed demeanor was listing. Most of us have tried oddball and improved cases, and many of us--myself included--learn that they are a lot of effort for not much gain. My counsel would have been to make a .25-284 on a short action or a 6.5-284 on a long action so that you could seat those long missiles out there. They offer a significant performance boost over the .308-based cases, and you wouldn't spend up part of your barrel life fire forming cases. Not to mention the excellent Lapua brass that is available.

But I guess, if he wants to go to more work and perhaps expense, to get less performance and a gun that would be harder to sell, more power to him.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
OK! You tell me how it's logical to build a .308 length cartridge on a long action? grin

The .260 AI has an internal capacity of might near identical to the 6.5x55. Which means same/same velocities at the same/same pressures. If one is looking to increase velocity, then it stands to reason that one must increase capacity or increase pressure. (FWIW; a larger cartridge is the safer of the two...) smile

Assuming that one is using a long action, then it's logical to go with the 6.5/06, 6.5/06 AI (Or as I did, 6.5x64 Brenneke...) or .264 Win Mag. (Or a host of other wildcats for that matter...)

One can spend a lot of time, effort, and money trying to reinvent the 6.5x55, But in the final analysis, the 6.5x55 has been doing it's job with aplomb for more than 100 years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always have to do the wrong thing 4 or 5 times before I know what the right things is. Like Jim Croce: "I learn the hard way every time..." smile

YMMV

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Logic? You're trying to read logic into the yearnings of a rifle loony? Good luck there!

I'm with you. I've got a Parker Hale 1200 on its way right now and have been mulling over the same question this guy has, so I understand the thinking... is a Mauser action considered a "standard" length action even though designed for intermediate length cartridges? When a guy has a 257 AI and a 7x57 in the works what the heck could he "need" a 6.5x57 (or 6.5x57 AI/260 AAR) for? If the gent who is selling me the actions says that the 6mm Rem cartridges he has fed through it (he burned out 2 barrels) have gone as slick as a hounds tooth, should I risk going to an '06-length cartridge, much less an '06 w/ an AI shoulder (like 6.5-280 AI)?

I sure wish I'd have had this site to help me when I built my 257 AI; it'd have saved me some serious loot. At least I'm asking myself all the questions before buying components... did a lot of Ebaying of brand new stuff w/ that build. Never again.

BTW- isn't a 6.5x64 Brenneke basically a 6.5-06?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Utah,

No offense taken, Sir. Here is the whole story so that you fellas can feel like I asked your opinion.(snicker)

I had a guy owed me lotsa money and I ended up taking his guns so as not to lose my ass. The whole deal left a bad taste in my mouth and I have never felt so crappy about getting a few new guns. The only rifle I intend to keep is a Remington VSSF II in 22-250. I have a bunch of varmint guns and just bought another Win Coyote in .243 last year, so adding another varmint gun is total redundancy.

I would be looking at a 6.5-284 if I had a long action. Instead I would like to do a .260AI on a short action with a 26" tube shooting a 140 gr Berger over RL 17. From everything I have read, I should (with a little luck) be able to push a 140 at nearly 2,900 fps and maybe faster. Call me crazy, call me stupid but it is what it is, and if worse comes to worse I will just screw the factory bbl back on and call it a day.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Crap! How does a simple question about dies turn into a 7-08 vs. .308 debate? LOL

Back to the dies, are you saying the 6.5 x 55 dies would be the ones to use for a .260AI? Please explain.

Last edited by Higbean; 11/23/09.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Higbean
Back to the dies, are you saying the 6.5 x 55 dies would be the ones to use for a .260AI? Please explain.

I just activated EFW's link and I see that it was not what I thought. Go to Graf's site and under "Product Search"; enter Product # RED80623 That should get you the Redding standard F/L dies for the .260 AI.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It appears that I have unintentionally "muddied" the waters here...

In another thread I noted the reference to a "LR" rifle. "LR" being the generally accepted reference to a "Large Ring" Mauser action... I now realize that is NOT what was meant. blush

My apologies to all...

Sometimes when one poses a question, one does not elaborate on the background. Often it's hard to understand without knowing the background to one's project. This leads to much confusion. While the original poster has a certain scenario in mind, a reader often envisions a far different scenario.

I think rather than continue to sabotage this thread, I'll just elaborate further in a new thread...

Grasshopper

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So, what your saying is, I can go ahead and order a .260AI without being called names?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nope. You're still a rifle loony wink .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.