Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
10ring1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi, I'm new to using slug guns. Looking for a 12 ga. I was thinking the BPS. I have a 2.5-8 Leupold to put on it. WHat kinda accuracy can I expect? What do you guys recommend? Thanks much Dave

Live and die by the Browning...
BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
If I was to buy a new slug gun base on current offerings it would be a Savage 210

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For accuracy, you'll be hard pressed to beat the New England Ultra Slug Hunter.It ain't a pretty gun, but man they shoot.The mentioned Savage would be my next pick.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
If I was to buy a new slug gun base on current offerings it would be a Savage 210

Agreed, I owned one and it was a shooter, but had recoil that would stop a clock too.

As for "the most accurate slug gun" I would look at a Tat-Hunt bolt gun, very accurate and very expensive. I had the boys at Da-mar gunsmithing pin a Badger barrel on an 11-87 that would shoot an inch at 100 and not kick your azz in the process.

Look at the Savage 220 also, thats the 20 ga version of the 210, should be a great gun.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
my ole ithaca 37 12ga deerslayer puts 2 slugs touching at 70 yards that is accurate enough for me

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 12 ga. H&R Ultra Slug Hunter w/ thumbhole stock, Weaver 2-10x38mm scope, Weaver tactical rings, 3" Win. Part. Sup. slugs. It's sighted in 2" high @ 50 yds., which puts it about dead on at 150. so, I went over to our 200 yd. target range and dialed it in dead on @ 150 yds. It will shoot 2" groups (+/- a bit) at 150. This much accuracy combined with the slugs ballistics, makes this a 200 yd. slug gun, as long as I don't "aim out of the hair". I love this gun.

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My Ithaca Deerslayer II will put modern saboted slugs into 2.5 inches at 100 yards. Although I have not yet tried them, the Hastings slugs have a reputation for extreme accuracy as the sabot stays with the slug, thus eliminating the chance of the sabot's release disturbing the slug.

An Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 gauge, combined with Hastings slugs, just might be the most accurate slug gun/sabot combo currently available.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Federali make a good point, Hastings slugs. They fly every bit as good as Lightfield's for about 2/3's the cost. There 9.99 or less at our Dunnams, where Lightfield's are 13 to 15 bucks.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hastings and Lightfields are junk. I've used the 20 gauge Lightfields with terrible results on 3 different deer. If you go to their websites and look up their ballistics, you'll see that the slugs start out with great muzzle energy and velocity. But who shoots deer at the muzzle? The slugs are awfully un-aerodynamic and drop speed and energy incredibly fast. The Lightfield 3 1/2" slug has 4800 lbs of energy at the muzzle and is down to 3100 at only 50 yds!! and is down to only 2000 at 100. 4800 to 2000 in 100 yards....JUNK. Use either Winchester Part. Golds or Remington Ultra Core-Lokt. These are the best slugs on the market. Period.

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The whole key is finding exactly what YOUR gun likes. I have seen same model guns with one shooting nice tight groups to the other shooting "patterns".

I would try the Hornady SST, Winchester Partitions and Rem in that order. All in the 2 3/4. The 3" will knock your eyeteeth out.

I would also recommend you look at the 20 instead of the 12. Super flat, hard hitting, accurate and not a slobber knocker. Savage just came out with a 20 gauge built on their 110 action that is a hammer.

BH

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The most accurate slug gun I have ever used is the Browning A-bolt with the fully rifled barrel. I have yet to see one that will not shoot!

Mine really like Winchester Supreme Platinums

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would recommend the BPS. I have the Deer Special with the cantilever scope mount barrel and it will put 3 Hornady SST under 2 inches almost everytime at 100 yards. I think the BPS is a bargain. I also have used Remington 11-87's and 870's as well as a Mossberg 500.The BPS has some nice features such as bottom ejection and a champhered washer to keep the barrel centered on the magazine tube for better accuracy and I love a tang safety.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree a 20 ga. gets the job done just fine also.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by wildfowl
The most accurate slug gun I have ever used is the Browning A-bolt with the fully rifled barrel. I have yet to see one that will not shoot!

Mine really like Winchester Supreme Platinums

Amen to that. Mine likes the Win Supreme Platinum Partition Gold High Velocity.

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt
T
T
I own several designated slug guns and out to 50 yds. all will take deer cleanly and quickly. If you want a long range shooter without breaking the bank, I recommend the H&R UltraSlug in 12 ga. I have a Nikon 3x9 SlugHunter scope with the BDC reticule mounted on it and I believe it is the single most accurate slug gun I have ever seen for any distance beyond 50 yds. It is one heavy gun though. Since I hunt 100% of the time from a stand, this is not an issue for me. My gun will shoot either a single jagged hole or a cloverleaf at 100 yds every time from a sandbagged benchrest. I can't do as well standing freehand because I'm an old phart and shake a bit. I have a Mossberg 500 pump, a remington 11-87 semi-auto, and a Stevens 210 bolt. My second most accurate gun is the Stevens 210. My goto gun for deer is the H&R UltraSlug. I took a 310 lb bear in Canada with that gun 2 years ago and have taken several nice bucks with it as well. It is a shooter for sure!

You need to shoot a bunch of different sabot slugs through any DSG to see which your particular gun and barrel prefers. That can be a bit expensive if you don't find it's favorite pretty quickly. For example, I spent almost $80.00 in slugs before I found one that grouped under 2" at 50 yds. Once I did and fine-tuned my scope, I have a real tack-driver. I wouldn't trade it for anything! By the way, my UltraSlug seems to prefer the Federal Barnes Expander Hollow Point in 3". Yours may or may not prefer the same sabot as mine.

Last edited by theslugger; 04/18/11.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Savage 220f and 3" Federal Barnes Tipped or Remington AccuTips.
End search.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got three, an Ithaca deerslyer with the fixed barrel, a Browning A-Bolt with a fully rifled barrel, and a Bennelli Super Black Eagle with a fully rifled barrel. They are all super accurate. Each has its' plusses and minusses. If I am going to be in a treestand all day I almost always use the Browning. If I am going to be doing drives all day with a group I take the Bennelli unless I am in a rfle zone because you cannot use a semi in PA in a rifle zone. I always seem to grab the Ithaca if there is snow on the ground and I plan on walking through thick stuff. Mine is the carbine model with a 20" barrel and it swings real fast in the thick stuff.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
C
CJW Offline
C
Old post brought back from the dead but I'll put my $.02 in just in case. I shoot a Browning Gold Hunter 12 ga. and it loves Win. Partitions. Win. BRI's group second best followed by Remington Core Lokt's and Federal Barnes EXP's. I choose to shoot the BRI's because they are cheaper and work fine on whitetails. Anything bigger and I'd move up to the Partitions. The Remington Core Lokt's seem to have the most energy though. I only have one fired Core Lokt slug because the others went right through the packed newspaper target.

D
D
I currently own two DSG's. An Ithaca Deerslayer III and an H&R UltraSlug, both in 12 ga. If I am stillhunting I take the Ithaca because it is so light. If I am hunting from my treestand I take the UltraSlug because of it's long-range accuracy. I have a red-dot sight on the Ithaca for fast target acquisition and a 3x9 Nikon SlugHunter scope with the BDC reticule on the UltraSlug.

Here's a hint: you usually don't get more than one shot at deer so make that first shot count. Get an UltraSlug in 12 Ga. and try the untipped Federal Barnes Expander slugs in 3". Let the yahoo's try to impress their buddies about how fast they can empty their magazine while you are gutting your deer. I've taken 16 deer in my life and none needed more than one shot. The farthest any of them went after being hit was just about 15 feet. The only problem is that the UltraSlug is a heavy gun fully rigged and loaded. Great for stand hunting but you wouldn't want to lug it through the woods all day long. Laser accurate though!

Last edited by DeerSnot; 10/31/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a 20 gauge TC Prohunter slug barrel. Have not tried it yet though, but everyone that has them says good things. Will report later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.