Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Thanks guys appreciate the info..

20" barrel sounds perfect -i've wished my little cz 221 FB had a bit shorter barrel -it's 21.9".

I have read that many prefer the 2.5x8 32 or a fixed scope but thought the 40mm objective might be a little brighter in the deep woods of oregon with likely overcast skies.
I'll do a little staring/comparing at the 2.5 x 8 -32 it sounds like a more fitting set-up.
Looking forward to getting the little rifle .
-Mike

Also i plan on trying my hand at pillar-bedding -got the bedding down but had yet to pillar bed a gun.

Well done, Mike. With the 2.5x8 Leupold, my rifle and yours will be identical. The smaller scope adds an aesthetic balance to your overall outfit, and the optics ain't too shabby either. And the Model 7 with the 7-08 in the tube is the cat's meow for deer-size game. You now have your working rifle......

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A great western Oregon blacktail rifle; my favorite! Mine is a .358 now, but I killed 6-7 deer with it as a 7-08. Neat rifles.

Agreed with SH; they are a little barrel-light, though the plastic stock should help tons with that compared to my laminate version.

If you are willing to put a physically big scope on there, may I suggest a Conquest 1.8-5.5x38mm. Have one on my M7 and it's low-light performance is stellar; easily beating my Leup 2.5x8's.

On the other hand, a nice light trim Leupold- I like the 2.5x8's a bunch- would look better on the rifle, and work great.

Whatever scope you get, be sure to mount it too far back towards you... grin... (inside joke)...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd also avoid a compact Leupold like the plague.

Why would you avoid these, just curious as I have a 3x9 compact and a 2-1/2 and they work pretty well

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm with the other guys...should be a 20" Bbl...
Also a bit light up front but sure nice to carry!
Nice rig....not a fan of the compact Leupolds either..but really can't tell you why.....
My own lightweight Model Seven...
Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x
This one is a .22-250...stoke it with 53 gr TSXs...its job is to shoot deer....it does.. grin

[Linked Image]

A little drier here, so I can get away with wood/blue..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Just compacts of already existing scopes (read, not the 2.5x), eye-relief/position is seriously compromised in them bastards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed so much game with my M7 in 7-8 that I don't care that it rarely shoots anything approaching bug-hole groups. All I've ever needed is a Leu 4X compact which doesn't detract as much as most from it's already light front end.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I have read that many prefer the 2.5x8 32 or a fixed scope but thought the 40mm objective might be a little brighter in the deep woods of oregon with likely overcast skies.
I'll do a little staring/comparing at the 2.5 x 8 -32 it sounds like a more fitting set-up.

The VXIII 2.5-8 has a 36 mm objective - not too far off that brighter 40 mm. IIRC I read somewhere that a Leupold rep said it's their brightest scope. I think it's one of their best and would be perfect for a 7mm-08.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my M7, 7mm-08 with 1.5-5. Park'd CM. seems to be near me the most. this one does have the 18.5" bbl tho.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ol Mike-
My M7 in 7-08 started with a 3-9x40, then had a 2-7x33, and now wears a 4x33 fixed (all Leupies). The latter two fit the gun much better size wise, and I'll buy you dinner if either scope ever costs you a deer because they don't gather enough light!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not many people actually routinely hunt till last legal light, though the concept gets ample verbiage. Unless you count "hunting out" (chickening out and bailing from your stand early, basically).

Very low light is not a Leupold strength, though they have others... I love my Loop's for what they do well but I'm not gonna get all gooey about their low-light performance... latest-gen VX3's excluded as I have not tried them yet.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm a zeiss conquest guy all the way..

Low light performance is important to me -i mainly predator hunt and very often start calling as soon as i can see 50-60yds..
And also sit out a p.m. calling set until i wouldn't be able to shoot due to darkness.

I had a 3x9-40 conquest on a browning a-bolt -sold both- and it didn't seem like a big scope to me.Probably due too the fact that i have a couple of 6.5x20-50's.
But i'm giving the 2.5x8 a looking over.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ol' Mike, in that case let me say again that my M7 is a rifle I use pretty much exclusively for western Oregon blacktail, and I've not been shy about changing it around to make it "perfect".

The 1.8-5.5 Conquest is perfect. smile Unbelievable low-light performance, huge field of view, just fantastic.

BIG scope, but the deer haven't laughed at it yet.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Not many people actually routinely hunt till last legal light, though the concept gets ample verbiage. Unless you count "hunting out" (chickening out and bailing from your stand early, basically).

The light quits, for sure, sometimes, but the hunting hours never do...

[Linked Image]

Admittedly, the camera's flash can change one's perspective for what the light actually was. However, on December 21 north of the 63rd latitude, the period and quality of light isn't the best. Still, Leu's 4Xs haven't let me down; and they're a really good fit on the M7.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've never had a problem hunting from legal light 'til legal dark with Leuy's or even Weavers.
I have a M7 in 7-08 with the 18" barrel that my son commandeered but the one I have now looks amazingly like Ingwe's but in 7-08. I can't imagine putting some big honking scope on a M7. Might as well put one of those 50mm jobs with see thru mounts smile. (that was a joke)
I agree that it is a bit muzzle light and does take a little practice. And too, a bipod on the end helps smooth things out on a moving shot.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stocks suck like most all the injected molded ones do.

I'd pass on the Compacts too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Not many people actually routinely hunt till last legal light, though the concept gets ample verbiage. Unless you count "hunting out"

Damn near everyone I know hunts til last legal light. Based on gunshots, some of the neighbors hunt a good 10-15 minutes after it.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My M7s have wood stocks. One is some sort of dyed pallet wood but the other is a nice piece of walnut.
I can't speak for others but my bunch needs flashlights to get in and out of the woods.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Model 7 in a 7mm.08 and love it! It the gun I grab when using a climbing tree stand because of its weight and size. I mounted a Kahles 2-7x36 scope on it and it is perfect for that gun. I have killed several bucks at "10 past dark" before with that rig and the Kahles had no problem picking up enough light to make a clean humane kill.

War Damn Eagle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have posted before this week that I just traded for a
Ruger 77 RSI stainless in 7mm-08 trying to decide on a scope for it and a factory load also I have never had any 7mm-08 before
I love the 18 1/2 in. barrel and open sights on this little gun
the full length wood stock and stainless look better than I thought they would. I am thinking of pulling my Zeiss 2.5x8x32
Conquest off of my WBY MARK V 270 roy and putting it on the RSI
7MM-08 Might be just the ticket for Alabama Deer
WAR EAGLE!!!
AMRA

Molan Labe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Well the "i'll take it" doesn't mean you'll get it.

Guy wouldn't answer my pm's until tonight -said he didn't get my pm's or email and the guy [his friend] decided to keep it.
Bunch of crap imo....

bastids !!!!!!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.