-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like the pre-saftey, oil finish stocks best, although I am not up to speed on exact date variations. I do own a 39D, which is the pistol grip version of the Mountie. That is a sweet little gun, but i have a hankerin for the long barrel 39A because when shooting sub sonic ammo, the longer barrel is WAY quieter.

Were there "best" years of manufacture to look for? The late sixties guns seem to have the oil finish.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would say you are about right in looking for a 60s vintage gun.. Oil finish is nice, good trigger pulls and slimmer forearms...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got one that's only a few years old, and frankly, I like the way it handles better than the older ones I've played with.
So, my suggestion, is find some and do your own comparision. Mine, after getting the trigger cleaned up, breaks at about 3 3/4's of a lb. and is very consistant.
Five shots in an inch with peep sights at 50 yds. with WW Power Points and CCI Velocitors. 5/8 th's with RWS Sub Sonic HP's. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stay far away from any of the ten shot versions, the safety versions suck I think any of the ones made in as late as 1980 would be OK. I have one that comes from the 1950 that is sure a nice rifle. The one I shoot the most often is a 1975 rifle and I really like it. I have one from 1998, that is pretty but is a real mistake.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Im not a huge fan of the 39's but I know that have a strong following. That being said I have tried to talk myself into owning one 3 times, all shot great. My fav was a early 70 vintage with the slimmer forend. Another was a late 50's with ballard rifleing and that gun brought a TON on gunbroker when I decided I needed another 223.

I would recommend an older one in any event, the older they are the smoother they seem to be.

Last edited by passport; 11/25/09.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older the better, they were machined and put together much nicer, but you're going to pay for it.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, i bit the bullet and I am getting a 1969 model. Great oil finished wood and blue is like 98%. To my door for $450.00.

I have a 39D, which is a Mountie with a pistol grip stock. Somewhat rare rifle. It functions great, but I have only plinked with it. I plan on seeing what accuracy I can squeeze out of it very soon. I picked up a brass Skinner peep for it.

My favorite .22 is my Anschutz 54 sporter, but I wanted to mess with the Marlins a little. Figure I can ALWAYS get my money back if i decide to move them. The Anschutz has a pemanent home. I bought a 10/22 deluxe back in the late 70's brand new. That is a nice rifle too, but just doesn't get much use.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$450's a good deal. I just paid $440 for a 50's vintage 39A that's not in all that great condition - I paid too much on an auction site.

You dun good.

Tom

Regards,

Tom
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sakoluvr: I am a "dyed in the wool" bolt action kind of guy and much prefer them for most of my Rifles and uses.
I do have some exceptions - I have a small fleet of Ruger 10/22's and I have 3 (three) Marlin lever action Model 39's.
I have also owned several more of these in the past.
I really enjoy "levering" the 22 L.R.'s at pest's, Varmints and targets of all kinds!
Last year I just had a ball at a remote location with a big sandy hill as a backdrop shooting pop cans at 30 to 60 yards with one of my 39-A's (open sights)!
And I did re-bag the shot-up cans and took them away with me!
I though am NOT familiar enough to know which years are superior (IF any!) over others for performance (accuracy) or for collectability (value!) of the Marlins!
I do know this, the Marlin lever action 22's are STRONG performers when it comes to resale and retaining value at gunshops and gunshows!
I say shop dilligently and carefully seek out the best deal possible and once a Marlin 39 is in your possession and LATER if you decide to move on - that Rifle will re-sell quickly and without loosing much if anything at all price wise.
Good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: I just checked my "Blue Book of Gun Values" and my Marlin 39-M (takedown carbine survival pack type gun!) is worth MORE now than when its MSRP was last published!
Yep, buy a Marlin 39 and start having fun for "free"!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
VarmintGuy, great post. I plan on doing the same.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.