Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'll lay out the situation first, and then would be interested to hear how members would tackle the situation.

I own a rifle that has interchangeable barrels (Sauer S202). The scope mounts to the receiver, and does not come away with the barrel.
What would you do in this situation? Run a different scope in QD rings for each different barrel/calibre, or run one scope and zero it to (most likely choice) the mid range trajectory offering, and then make a chart of the click adjustment to adjust for the other calibres?
This would be done with (hopefully consistent) pet handloads.

FWIW I currently have two barrels, one in 270win, and one in 9.3 x 62. I'm considering rounding it out to a trio with either a 223rem or a 22-250 barrel.
I'd love to see a discussion on peoples opinions, and the various merits/drawbacks with either way of approaching the problem.

Obviously, a nice scope for each barrel in QD's would be great, but poses financial issues, but so does getting one scope with a large enough variation in magnification to be suitable for all chamberings, and keep the weight down, and be robust and reliable with a higher degree of usage on the adjustment turrets.

Opinions on this connundrum would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Aussielad.

PS: just moved this post from the hunters campfire to here, felt it was more appropriate in the hunting optics forum.

Last edited by AussieLad; 11/15/09.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[Linked Image]

This is my Sauer 202 with bbls. in 7x64 and .30-06. Scope is a Swarovski 1,5-6x42 in EAW swing-out mounts. I've thought of buying a second scope but it is an expensive solution for the rare occasion I swap bbls. I used my Tasco collimator and recorded the scope settings for both bbl./cal. and so far, it never required more than a few clicks to regain a perfect zero (as a matter of fact, I could have gone afield right away after bbl. switch as POI has always been < 2 MOA before checking).

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a Jackson Hole Arms rifle with three barrels, 22-250, .257 Roberts and 30-06. The gun came with a Redfield glass on it and I shot a sub inch group with it the first time out using the 30-06 barrel. I tried the Roberts barrel and it grouped L/R OK but down an inch or so, which didn't matter because I hadn't worked up loads for it. I put the 30-06 barrel back on and started to work up Barnes 130s for it and they dropped inside an inch right off the bat. For me, that solved my problem. I decided I had to be nuts to mess with a gun that shot well and left the 30-06 barrel on the gun. I now own a Jackson hole Arms rifle with a very nice 30-06 barrel and two tomato stakes.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Hi AussieLad

Snap - also from SA, also own a 202 with 270Win and 9.3x62 barrels. I went with the two scope option for a few reasons, mostly because the shooting applications are as different as the calibres. I wanted a smaller scope with heavy reticle with 9.3 for sambar hunting so have a VXIII 2.5-8x32 HD reticle (custom order). For 270 I use a VX111 3.5-10x40 duplex reticle for hunting goats and fallow deer.

I have the alloy rail and use Leupold PRW low mounts for both scopes. I have not experimented with swapping barrels and scopes to find out how close to zero they are after the swap - from what I've read it will be necessary to re-zero after swapping barrels.

Can't help with the $ dilemma. Ultimately if your applications are diverse enough for 2 scopes (or 3 when you buy a 22cal) then that is the best option. As an all round scope I would consider something like a VX3 3.5-10x50 to cover most applications. If $ stretch then Swaro Z6 would give more flexibility.

Ian

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A lot of people are using the Leupold 4.5-14 scope with great success. Should cover things nicely.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a Rem. 700 action converted to switch barrel in 280 & 7MM Gibbs over 20 years ago. Concept sounded great, but in practical terms was just another PITA. I recorded the scope settings & when changing barrels was close to zero, but always had to fire a few shots for final adjustment. If I was determined to use a switch barrel concept I would use 2 scopes. I would never own another switch barrel rifle.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
First of all, if you are the type of guy that likes to throw stuff across the room, switching barrels is probably not for you.

Most of my rifles have multiple calibers and/or multiple barrels of the same caliber(I like what I like).

I have developed a system over the past 25 years which is not perhaps the ultimate for a switch barrel use, but it is a cheap(quick) way to get things done.

After each barrel is sighted in, using a bore sighter, get the (X,Y) coordinates for that barrel as it is sighted in.

Write this info down in a place where you will not misplace it, this is the hardest part of switching barrels.

When changing barrels using the same scope, you should be within 1 1/2" of a perfect zero each time.

The more practice you get using this method, the easier it will be.

If you change height in scope bases, all info is worthless. You will still be very close if you go to another scope with the same dia tube.

I think that the whole idea of swapping out barrels and not having to fire a couple of shots to verify zero applies to guys that only hunt elephants.

The whole switch barrel concept is a really great one for guys that like to play around with different calibers because you can have one action, custom trigger, custom stock, and high quality scope.

I totally free float all my barrels in the stock to the recoil lug, and of course, barrel contours have to be similar.

For instance, my Rem long action is a 25/06, 270, and 30/06, and the same muzzle break is used on all barrels.

Same concept for short actions 22/250 is also a 243. 7 Mag is also a 257 Weatherby, 7 STW has 3 barrels.

With a little creativity, you can have lead filled heavy stocks and high powered scopes to work up loads with, then go to the lighter weight sporter outfits to hunt with....works very well.

I'm not excessive compulsive, just extremely well focused.

Last edited by keith; 11/28/09.
Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use option 3. Same Blaser R93, and when I swap out barrels the scope is already attached to the barrel so no sighting in. Not the cheapest option, but it works without any sighting in because the scope is on the barrel. Once you've layed out the initial expense, I've found nothing easier. Oh ya, you might have to change a bolt head if different caliber group, another 30 seconds gone. I swapped out 300WM with .243 almost daily hunting in Africa, works great, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

605 members (160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 69 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.