Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
model88 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have two winchester model 88s (both pre 64). One was my Dad's (and I'm 61 years old!)and they both jam very frequently (almost every time) after firing. Dad's did this from the day he bought it. The cartridges cycle through perfectly, until they are fired - then either the empty doesn't eject properly, or when it does, the next cartridge either hangs up on the front of the clip, or feeds too high and jams against the top of the chamber entrance. It's almost like the clip ramp is too steep? Loading just 3 cartridges solves the ejector problem (mostly)but not the feed problem. These guns are very accurate, and have both taken many whitetails - but any running shots are out of the question with a gun that turns into a single shot when you least want it to! Can anybody out there help?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I found that same problem with my 88 after I restocked it with a new Fajen stock. Tried a nubmer of things mostly with my reloads and their OAL but that didn't work.
After sitting down and really looking at the problem I noticed if I pushed the clip up while I cycled the action the problem went away.
I took the action out of the stock and started to shave a little at a time the wood under the front part of the receiver, trying to lower it in the stock, just enough that I could not push the clip up. After a few fittings it felt just right and my problem was solved.
See if pushing the clip up helps, you may also look at releaving some wood at the base of the triggerguard, this too may allow the clip to push closer to the action.
I hope I explained myself here.
wood under

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you can get your hands on another magazine (especially a newer one with the two-step bottom metal) try it. My M88 in .308 WIN was a little rough feeding and I found a new magazine - slick as glass now. I cannot tell any visual difference the two mags, but according to one website (link below) I read that Winchester kept tinkering with the mags, and the new one sure made a difference in my 308 WIN's feeding.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/winchesterl_88_100.htm

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's the magazines.The ears get bent.Go to the web site mentioned above and the have an explaination as to how to fix them.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 16 invisible), 1,115 guests, and 808 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.