Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
John Barsness's latest exclusive column, "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY ," is on its way. If you haven't received this or previous versions, simply JOIN OUR MAILING LIST, and you'll be on board for future monthly columns.

Here are links to the last few columns:

"Binoculars and Glassing"

"The Latest Ballistic Tip"

"Getting The Most Out Of Your .30-06"

"Cartridges and Bullets for Real Buffalo"

"1-12 vs. 1-9 Twist in .223's"

"Modern Rifle Powders"

"Seating Bullets Straightly"

"Cartridges and Bullets for Whitetails"

"Rifle Cartridge Overall Length"

"The .300 Weatherby: The Best .30-Caliber Magnum?"

Don't forget to check out John's (and Eileen's grin) other stuff at http://www.riflesandrecipes.com.

Many thanks, as usual, John!

Have a great Christmas season!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another excellent article, JB.

A friend, a retired rocket scientist (really), has an old 300 Weatherby that he refuses to use or shoot because it kicks him too hard. But he won't get rid of it because he likes to say he has a 300 Weatherby. I do believe this is fairly common affliction among those of us who grew up poor in the 50's and 60's. You knew you had finally made some sort of success out of yourself when you could at last own a Weatherby, and I mean a Mark V, of course. There were no inexpensive Weatherbys back then, or synthetic stocks.
After reading the article I have one more reason to call my friend "Rocket Man".

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine has a 257 Wby., an excellent fast stepping cartridge. It shoots flat and is very tractable to handload given its super high performance nature.

But efficiency wise my bolt action 250 Savage beats it by a wide margin, delivering over 80% of the velocity with about 50% of the powder when we're both shooting 100 grain bullets.

I like them both a lot.

m

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What magazine is it in fella's?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad,
I believe the article in question is on the 'Fire here?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got an email a few hours ago saying the article was posted?
Maybe I got it mixed up with another article????

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Check your e-mail. It may or may not be there yet, because Rick sends them out in batches, I believe.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got mine via email a couple of hours ago. Good stuff as always John.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good article from JB as usual.

Last edited by MoranoGrande; 12/02/09.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great read JB. Something new to ponder, helps explain why I own so many 22 rimfires.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great article. I wasn't sure it was possible to write an article on the topic without mentioning the 308 Winchester or the 35 Whelen... but now I know it is possible. Dang, that editorial staff sure butchered it to get it in under the 1600 word limit. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The article is Here

On the article page, near the upper right hand corner, is a box that says, "Join Our Mailing List!" Click it and join the list, new articles will come to your mailbox but no spam will.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Brad
Where?

Stickied at the top of this forum.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
During Religious Emphasis Week in 1956, our forestry-school class invited a local rabbi to explicate Judaism. He asked "Which Judaism?" and explained that "wherever there are two Jews, there are three opinions" about everything.

Seems that the same is true about shooters and cartridge efficiency. In Hatcher's Notebook, the general explained that the efficiency of a cartridge is the ratio between (a) the theoretical chemical energy stored in the powder and (b) the kinetic energy delivered by the speeding bullet. The actually delivered energy is such-and-such a percentage of the theoretically stored energy. That's the old more-or-less "official" or technical definition of a cartridge's efficiency.

Other shooters define cartridge efficiency in their own terms � especially when they're talking about relative effectiveness and calling it "efficiency."

To calulate efficiency as General Hatcher defined it, first calculate the chemical energy stored in the powder charge � charge weight in grains times (IIRC) 178 foot-pounds per grain (for IMR powders). Then calculate the percentage of that theoretical total energy that the traveling bullet actually delivers.

Don't be surprised to find that some of the most efficient cartridges are the least effective � the .22 Long Rifle versus the .458 Winchester Magnum, for example.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
John has the disgusting habit of stating things in a common sense manner without pontificating. At the same time, his lessons make enjoyable reading.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Indeed he does.

I've settled on the foot-pounds per grain burned formula myself. It does prejudice the result towards the smaller cartridges, but that only proves its validity, I feel.

JB overlooked THE most efficient round: the CB cap. It doesn't churn up the muzzle smoosh, but it does it on less than a grain of priming alone!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I recall Bob Milek writing about cartridge efficiency many moons ago. I find myself going right down the same path. I've killed all my critters this year with a 250AI and a 300 Savage. To me the 250AI about tops out the 25 caliber line. Course it don't mean I won't use a 257 Roy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Should add I remember thinking many moons ago that Milek was bonkers when talking efficiency, not so much now.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kinda like when you were 18 and your Dad was the biggest moron on the planet - but he got smarter every day after you turned 30!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,798 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,379
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.