Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Onnie Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hi folks from Upstate Ny. I'm new here but have been lurking around awhile. I live in a farming area (yes in NY,lots of it)and have acreage of my own and access to lots more.Every winter I get out snowshoeing for enjoyment and excercise.I've never actively hunted coyotes,though I shot one while deer hunting once.We've got lots of them here.I thought I'd like to combine a little hunting with the snowshoeing this year.It wouldn't be real serious,the emphasis would still be on moving on the shoes, but from time to time I'd stop in hedgerows and try calling (which I know nothing about). I'd carry either my Remingtom 870 or Mossberg .22. Any advice on mouth calls, shotgun loads (slugs or buckshot)scents,and tactics would be great.I wouldn't shoot unless I could kill,I don't want even a coyote to suffer so they would have to be fairly close. Remember,the snowshoeing is the priority but I do see coyotes and lots of sign even pretty close to my house so I thought I'd give it a try.Thanks in advance.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Onnie,

Welcome to the Fire

With lots of books on the subject, there's a lot to learn, but here are just a few simple points....

I'd use the shotgun with goose loads over the 22. Dogs there can be larger from what I understand. Be aware of bobcats too.

For mouth calls, howlers, a rodent squeaker and rabbit calls are common. A rabbit call similar to the variety prevalent there is probably a good place to start....jackrabbit vs cottontails. Woodpecker or similar bird calls are also common, though I don't use those much.

Buy, beg or borrow some of Primos' DVD's on calling coyotes. Their calls are pretty good as well. Most of the bigger companies that sell predator calls have calls that will work.

Be stealthy when you are approach your stand so you don't get busted before you set up.

Setups are something that will take time to learn based on your terrain, but try to set up where you can see from higher ground, watch your flanks and be aware that the dogs will likely try to approach using cover, but will likely try to circle downwind to get a whiff.

In country with cover, it may result in close-quarters combat.

Steve

O
Onnie Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Thanks for the tips,AI. I'll check out those calls and DVD's. Goose loads instead of buck or slugs,huh? Vantage point wont be a problem,the edge of my property is the top of a hill with open fields all around facing the west wind.Lots of wild shrubs to hang around in too. Should be fun,thanks again.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was thinking goose loads as a minimum. Slugs and buckshot will work fine.

Terrain sounds good. Should be fun.

Are you thinking of saving pelts?

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where in upstate NY are you? I'm finally getting back to upstate NY after being gone for 2 years. My last duty station in the Army was Ft. Drum and I've been trying to get back that way for awhile. Its the one place that felt like home. Loved grounghog hunting in the summer and enjoyed the hell out of coyotes in the winter.

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
IC B2

O
Onnie Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Sure AI, I'd skin the yotes and save the pelts. I don't like to kill an animal and not use at least something.Yeah, I think my hill should be a pretty good spot to set up on. I'm east of Rochester lovesome,about three hours from Fort Drum. Thanks for your service. We don't get as cold here as were you were, but lots of lake snow. I love NY ,but the taxes and liberals might drive me out some day!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
one really nice item is a NIMROD rifle/shotgun scabard, it goes on your back like backpack. it will carry your weapon and has a pocket to hold calls food flashlight etc. i x-country ski for calling once the snow gets too deep too walk easy. useing the NIMROD SYSTEM leaves your hands free for poles and doesn't keep slipping off your shoulder like a sling.

http://www.nimrodpacks.com/n215.html

you need a scabard an shoulder harness or add scabard to one of their pack systems

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Onnie
Sure AI, I'd skin the yotes and save the pelts. I don't like to kill an animal and not use at least something.Yeah, I think my hill should be a pretty good spot to set up on. I'm east of Rochester lovesome,about three hours from Fort Drum. Thanks for your service. We don't get as cold here as were you were, but lots of lake snow. I love NY ,but the taxes and liberals might drive me out some day!

The only reason I ask about pelts is because you might be doing some sewing with a shotgun. A slug may produce a small and large hole, but maybe not. A bunch of smaller holes may be easier to sew. Regardless, you'll find out what works best for you. Just be sure and send pics.

Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally from up near you. I cannot say that I have snowshoed and called....yet. I will this year in WA.

I have shot truckloads in the southwest US. I have a boatload of calls.

On the cheap, I can recommend anything Sceery-the rubberized camo calls. With coyotes, I have found you cannot blow them too much sound. Of course start at medium volume or less for a few minutes.

You should have both reds and greys up there and will probably be more prevalent and easier to call in.

I am a fan of the Eberlestock packs. I have an X1 model that I use for calling and scouting. Your weapon fits into the scabbard and leaves your hands free for trekking poles or other.

An ensolite pad for your cheeks will be necessary.

In my opinion, you will really have to stick and move. Meaning, your property will only be good for about 2 stands at most. That's just a guess on the terrain and habitat. But if you have 100 timbered acres, you can cover most of that in two stands.

And coyotes leave a lot of tracks, which make you think there are a billion, and they cover a TON of ground in 24 hours.

I think you will find success due to your desire to get out and about in the dead of winter in a somewhat untapped sport.

Good luck

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Onnie, I hunt coyotes here in Montana off snowshoes all the time. It's the only way to cover country in some of the areas I go to in December and January. I carry my rifle strapped to my pack. That keeps it out of the snow if I hook a shoe and fall. I'd go with a shotgun over a .22 any day. I'd take a look at some of the new shotshell coyote loads ammunition companies have come out with lately though, I've killed a bunch of coyotes with good old copper plated BBs. You'll have to call a coyote in pretty close for the shotgun to be effective. Let's say within 40 yards, maybe a little further if you use larger, heavier shot. Get an instructional tape or CD and a standard cottontail distress call and have at it. I wouldn't worry about the pelts. It sounds like you have limited experience with coyotes so you might not get the thing skinned properly anyways. Fur buyers are pretty particular. What you could do when you get a coyote with decent fur is to go ahead and skin it, have it tanned and make a couple of fur collars for coats or something like that.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
288 members (1minute, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 42 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,627
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.