Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I'm wanting to scope my fur shotgun but can't decide between a regular low power shotgun scope or some kind of red dot or holo sight. What are y'all using? Pros and cons of both?

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leupold 1-4 shotgun model OR
if you can afford it 1-4 Trijicon

both built like tanks and designed for both eyes open shooting.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I gotta say after using my Benelli tactical w/ ghost ring sights, it's great for turkey hunting but for calling coyotes the standard bead on my M1 is quicker and more useful.

After a few years of using an Aimpoint and low powered scopes on rifles, I have come to the conclusion that shotguns are meant to be pointed not aimed. (turkey hunting aside) Save the low powered scopes and RDS's for your AR's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No hunks of glass bolted on my shotguns...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MOGC

Amen Brother.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scopes are great if your shotgun doesn't throw its load where the bead is pointed.

But I'd use a low power fixed or variable if using it in woods. A red dot is nice if your terrain is semi or open.

I use a Micro T1 on a work shotgun but my eyes don't see well through its greenish coatings in the gloom of the woods.

The Burris Speed Dot looks useable. Haven't used on yet, but it looks breakage prone for cop work. A careful hunter might do great with it.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Coyotes are simple to hit compared to a quail or dove yet noone I've ever seen has sported a scope or RDS on a bird gun. They have been sported on turkey guns with tight chokes and when slugs are used. I might contend with a small RDS if POA was way off but can't see the scope deal.

Could ya'll explain why you'd choose a scope? Honest question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I been thinking of putting a Burris Speed Dot on my Benelli 391. This site seems to make sense for quick acquisition.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"No chunk of glass on my shotgun". Heck why not a blackpowder flintlock with no sights at all?

Anyone who has actually hunted deer and/or turkey and denies the usefulness of a low powered scope is either Alvin York or doesn't know squat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just set up one of my Rem 870 slug barrels with Tritium Night sight for Coyote hunting in low light. The barrel has open sights and screw in chokes. I replace the rifled Rem Choke with a pattern master and will be using 3 inch number 4 copper plated buck Federal Premium. The tritium night sights work great on this shotgun. I personally don't like scopes on shotguns except for slug shooting.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
bea,

You've got it. Just run a choke tube in a deer barrel with sights. Makes lining it all in very easy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldman1942
"No chunk of glass on my shotgun". Heck why not a blackpowder flintlock with no sights at all?

Anyone who has actually hunted deer and/or turkey and denies the usefulness of a low powered scope is either Alvin York or doesn't know squat.

You're probably right, I guess I don't know squat about shotgunning predators.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
having hunted coyotes for many years,ive used many different rifles and shotguns what works for you is the best set up for you. i have shot coyotes as close as 2 yrds and at 40yrds with a shotgun at 2yrds you point at 40 yrds you aim a little more as you point.any thing that helps you get on target faster will mean more dead coyotes, its easy to miss with a shotgun.no matter how you have it set up.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DMB
Originally Posted by MOGC

Amen Brother.

yup...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
oldman "Anyone who has actually hunted deer and/or turkey and denies the usefulness of a low powered scope is either Alvin York or doesn't know squat."

Since this is the predator forum and the OP wanted it for his "fur" shotgun, that'd put you in the don't know squat category.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry, missed that point. We usually shoot Yotes with rifles here (WY) although I did roll a running Yote back when I lived in NY with a deerslug in a smooth bore IC Model 12 carrying a Weaver K-1 with a 5 minute dot at about 35 yards.
(the outfit tells you it was ancient history)

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Sorry"? I think you owe that to MOGC.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 686 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.