Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can any of you give me a report positve or negative about the 12-40X60HD Leupold spotting scope?

Have you used it at the range to look at targets? What range are the bullet holes still showing up ok?

I want to use it both for spotting game for hunting, and range work.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm interested in this as well.

Zeiss has gone a bit nuts on pricing and I've seen Leupold whoop on the foreign glass before. Just curious what the take is on these spotters.

I gotta believe that for 1k a guy could get something pretty decent, if not exceptional, rather than having to pay twice that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you're in the market for a 60mm class spotter, I'd highly recommend the Kowa 663/664 Prominar, which is actually a 66mm objective spotter. The Leupy you mention is tough with good glass, but the view of the Kowa is fantastic, on par with the Swaro 65 HD. The Kowa can be had for the $1k budget.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a read of the webiste Better View Desired website.

This is an optics site famous for its independant, factual reviews of all types of optics relating to birdwatching. As you imagine, various European brands come highly rated. With that in mind, read what they have to say about the Leupold 60mm Gold Ring Scope and keep in mind the scope review was the older none HD version..

Regards

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 11/30/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
If you're in the market for a 60mm class spotter, I'd highly recommend the Kowa 663/664 Prominar, which is actually a 66mm objective spotter. The Leupy you mention is tough with good glass, but the view of the Kowa is fantastic, on par with the Swaro 65 HD. The Kowa can be had for the $1k budget.

How is the Kowa for eye relief?

For many glasses wears eye relief is critical and otherwise good scopes are let down by it..The Leupold 60mm Gold Ring however is exceptionally glasses wearer friendly with probably the longest eye relief of any comparable scope..

Last edited by Pete E; 11/30/09.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one and love it. Super clear - you can judge racks at 2 miles. The compact size makes it easy to pack, the tripod that comes in the kit is very nice and solid. Never used it beyond 100 yds at the range, but you can easily tell a .22 cal hole from a 7mm hole at 100 yds. Have looked through both the Swaro and Zeiss and I'll take mine for $1k every time. The nylon case on the scope itself is also perfect - easy to open and not cumbersome at all. You can't go wrong with this spotter!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't wear glasses, so it was adequate for me. You probably won't believe this, but my buddy showed up at deer camp with a Bushnell Excursion ED 15-45x60 spotter, the clone of the Leupold you mention. It was exceptionally good, especially for the $300 he gave for it.

If portability is an issue, the smaller 60mm spotters are great, but if range work at long range is important, or if you want a superior view in poor light conditions the 85mm class spotters are the way to go. The 60mm spotters just will never match the view of the bigger ones in tough conditions.

Last edited by JGRaider; 11/30/09.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't wear glasses, so it was adequate for me. You probably won't believe this, but my buddy showed up at deer camp with a Bushnell Excursion ED 15-45x60 spotter, the clone of the Leupold you mention. It was exceptionally good, especially for the $300 he gave for it.

I've been considering that one as well pimarily because it can be had with a Mill Dot reticule..Trouble is that it, and the Leupold Mk4 equivalent are virtually impossible to get over here in the UK and I really want try one before ordering..

For an compact spotter, the Nikon Fieldscope ED50 seems to be the one to beat and is a reasonable price too considering it has ED glass..Again though its eye releif has a question mark over it, depending on the eyepiece choosen..

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have the non HD version, have been using it for a year and it is really good glass-both for use on game and for a fine target spotter. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, I'm sure the HD glass is even better.

Golden............
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
I have the HD Gold Ring, and as I've posted before I'd buy it again even if money were no option. Granted, I use mine mainly for hunting the mountains of Idaho, but I'm convinced it's an awesome piece of glass for all-purpose duty.

The eye-relief in particular is superb...as well as the view......and the size.....and the manner in which it is protected (soft-case I mean)....and the price....and the toughness...and the weight......you get the point.

There is a reason so many guides can be seen using the Leuplold spotting scope.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used one belonging to an elk hunting partner a few years ago. Good glass, but so hard to turn the magnification ring that I could not hold the scope on something I was looking at while dialing a closer view. That's a statistic of one.

A nephew who recently left the Navy Seals returned with one as his personal use scope. He never said where he'd been nor what he did with it and we never asked. That's probably a more significant statistic of one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okanagan;
I hope this finds you well tonight.

I was surprised to hear that bit of information about the focus ring being hard to turn.

I have one of the older Leupold straight tube spotters, a 25X50 I guess it is. The only complaint I have with it is you almost need to pack 2 pipe wrenches to focus the thing when it gets below about 50�F. crazy

I'd hoped they had remedied that on the newer models, but it seems they didn't on that one anyway, eh? wink

On another note it's good to hear your nephew made it back and out OK.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Make that a sample of two actually. Although I have already proclaimed my love for this spotter, the first one I bought had to be returned because of the exact issue being mentioned here....stiff focus ring I mean. The poor woman behind the counter at Cabelas, literally couldn't turn it at all. The one I replaced it with was of course much better, and I hadn't given it a second thought until I read the posts that preceded this one.

Again, I'd buy another in a hot mintue, but I'd be sure to purchase one from a reputable dealer just in case this stiff focus/magnification ring is a more widespread issue.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Okanagan;
On another note it's good to hear your nephew made it back and out OK.

Dwayne

Thank you.

He does talk a little. At a family dinner a few of us were standing around and I don't recall what started the topic but he kind of laughed and said that the most dangerous thing he'd ever done was to get from a small boat onto a ship underway in rough seas in the dark. Subduing the crew and taking the ship was easy compared to getting on the thing.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/01/09.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for that link Pete. Some useful info on there.

It would sure seem that my suspicions regarding the quality of the HD spotter were well-founded.

I've spent some field time with the Zeiss and was very impressed, but dropping anywhere from $1600-$2200 on a piece of glass seems on the edge of crazy. Even a $1,000 is a bitter pill to swallow, but I could justify that a lot quicker.

I just didn't want to get into something that costs that much, only later to regret not spending more and being completely satisfied with the purchase.

I currently have a $400.00 B&L that I've had for about 10 years that I received as a gift. It's heavy and as soon as the power goes past about 25-30, it's damn hard to make out much of anything. Eye relief is terrible and flat give up on spotting anything at lowlight. It's better than a 10x pair of binocs, but not by much.

Can't help but think that I'd use a good spotter a lot more than I do my current one, simply because of the portability factor and optic quality alone.

Besides, since I aquired a new Jim Horn Alaskan, complete with spotting scope pocket, it would only seem right to fill it. This of course is the tactic that I'm going to be using on my wife. I'm sure that it'll cost me another rifle build for her or two and perhaps a night or two on the couch, but she'll get over it.......(grin)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you're into small obj spotters, the Nikon Ed 50 is the real deal. Amazingly so.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had one of the non-HD versions of the Leupold. I liked it, a lot. When I bought my Big Eyes last year I decided that if things got tight I'd sell one of them, and so I did when they did, but I do regret it. Nice scope.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I compared the HD Gold Ring directly with the matching Swaro model. I use Swaro scopes and money although it mattered it was not a consideration. I boutght the Gold Ring for Eye Relief. The whole kit was about $1400. Swaro just scope was closer to $2000

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I compared the HD Gold Ring directly with the matching Swaro model. I use Swaro scopes and money although it mattered it was not a consideration. I boutght the Gold Ring for Eye Relief. The whole kit was about $1400. Swaro just scope was closer to $2000

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Why not buy whatever you are considering with the understanding that you can return it for a full refund if not satisfied ? That's what I've done. Both Cabela's and Doug at Cameraland will do this. E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.