Print Thread
Hop To
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am looking into reloading for trap shooting. Any suggestions on a good/available manual? Picked up a MEC Grabber press with many accessories. It's in working order. Need load data and info to get started. Thanks.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Lyman is the best. They have a new one out now-5th Edition. Much of the data that is available is out of date because old components have been discontinued and new components have become available. RCBS makes a pretty good manual, but as far as I know it has not been updated recently.

I used one 20 gauge load for 25 years. Last year when I went to restock components I found that the wads and powder I had used for so long had both been discontinued. I had to start from scratch.

R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the reply Leon. I will look for one of these at Cabela's tomorrow. Have a list of stuff I hope to find.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You will probably want to make 2 different loads. 1 for singles (16 yard), I recommend a one ounce load of 8 or 8 & 1/2 at 1200 FPS.

Handicap is another matter. Most old hands use a slower powder, 1 & 1/8 oz of either 7 & 1/2 jor 8's at somewhere around 1235 to 1250 FPS.

Hodgdon's website has a lot of data on shotshell, I think Alliant does too.

A lot depends on what is available to you in the way of components, and what your budget allows.

Constant discussion of trap loads goes on at www.trapshooters.com forum, go have a look.

You should be able to download a manual at MEC's website.

Have fun.

HM

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Been reloading for a few years, and I reload a lot of shotshells, and I have found that the manufacturers websites (Hodgdons, Alliant, Winchester, Remington, Barnes, Sierra, etc) are the most up to data source I've found. I have found some of the troubleshooting issues not so good on those sites. Your ATA magazine may have some loads published as well. I hesitate to use any recipe found on this wonderful internet without some verification from a trusted source - Anyone can make up something and post it, so verify if it's not a trusted source.

Forgive me, I have to say this:
I know you're already aware of this, but be sure you NEVER improvise with components. If the recipe you're loading calls for a Remington STS hull + Win209 primer + a REM xxx wad + 20 gr. of Hellfire Powder, don't swap ANY of them for a product that isn't specifically declared "equivalent". Pressures can spike from something as innocuous as a different wad or hull, and results may be harmful to your health and shotgun! I saw a gun severely damaged by exactly that scenario (according to the owner/loader). Most shotshell loads don't leave enough room for double charges of powder, but it can happen, so pay attention.

Components are tough to find right now, especially Hodgdons powders (in Florida and Indiana anyway), so I am switching over some loads to Alliant powders as they seem more available. Noblesport primers, number 209/686 have been declared officially equivalent to Win209 primers, and my testing backs that up from a target breaking view. If you can find them and not the Win209's, I would not hesitate to use the Noblesports. With a proper recipe of course.

Enjoy and good luck!

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vagabond

Forgive me, I have to say this:
I know you're already aware of this, but be sure you NEVER improvise with components. If the recipe you're loading calls for a Remington STS hull + Win209 primer + a REM xxx wad + 20 gr. of Hellfire Powder, don't swap ANY of them for a product that isn't specifically declared "equivalent". Pressures can spike from something as innocuous as a different wad or hull, and results may be harmful to your health and shotgun! I saw a gun severely damaged by exactly that scenario (according to the owner/loader). Most shotshell loads don't leave enough room for double charges of powder, but it can happen, so pay attention.

Enjoy and good luck!

While this is a true statement, it's much greater when loading hunting loads towards the max of around 11,000 PSI.

Even with 7,500 PSI target loads it's a good rule to follow but it does allow a bit of leeway.

I've adhered to this advice for 40 years and still have never lost a gun or a finger nor an eye. Damn good advice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Double AAs, WRA 209s, WW gray wads, Red Dot, 7/8 oz of 8.5s will kill any clay bird that flies. Also kicks less and save shot expense.

I just loaded some 3/4 oz 12 bore loads for our sporting clays "winter course". 8 to 35 yards, for my 6 pound Airetta SXS. 1/2 have spreader wads as gun is M&F.

Primers seem to be the biggest variable as a 209 is not a 209. At least the powders have different names.

I'm waiting for steel to get affordable as it patterns better and can be moved faster (shot count vs lead).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.