Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Mackay, I suspect I will enjoy it.

Rost, It's not that I'm scared to shoot one at 400 or past, it's just not my hunting style to hunt the closer areas with a rifle that's sighted in for long range most of the time. While we have areas that are pretty open, most shots occur well under 100, and probably closer to 50.

I use that 16" sighted dead on at 100 for that reason. The Leupold I have isn't a ballistic reticle, nor is it quickly adjustable, so that rifle remains my close calling rifle for now, although I have made shots on coyotes that were beyond the 350 mark with it.

The onset that new rifle will work under is this:
With the new scope Weaver is sending out to me, (it's in the experimental stages right now) will have a ballistic reticle that allows more versatility from close to long range, and the rifle is a bit heavier than my M-4 and cradles better in my shooting sticks, and because of that weight, it's subsequently steadier on long shots from basic shooting sticks. The scope while on low power has a thicker reticle that is easy for crosshair location on shooting running tagets, but thins out, or gets "finer" for long range shooting when adjusted to higher powers of magnification.

I don't doubt that my M-4 would group well at 400 yards, as it's a sub-MOA rifle now. But it's just not what I want for long range. Plus, a bench and sandbags are hard to come by out there where we hunt coyotes... grin

Now, as to why I don't have a 7 twister but an 8.....That's simple. It wasn't offered in that configuration, nor did I feel like it was needed since I'm shooting medium weight bullets, and not the heavy pills that the long range competition shooters use.

Again, it's just personal choice, combined with my hunting needs that leads me to my choice of what, how, and why.

I know HOW to shoot long range. I won't get into details, but I do know what I'm doing out there at long range. The competitions I shoot now are mostly for fun, but I take them seriously, and have long range rifles set up for that too, and do rather well in them. That's just not the way I hunt. smile

Barry

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
ARIC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool reply. I honestly wasn't diggin at you, and these types of conversations would be better with a beer or scotch and pipe around a real campfire than on keyboards!! Wouldn't sound as extreme.

I was just feeling out reasons... if the reason is because thats what I wanted, thats cool! But I was searching to learn possibly or teach possibly.

One reason I shot full 7 twists in competition with the AR, it alywas shot better on the 600 yard course in real life than the slower twists did. That was justification to have to pay the time required to wait for full 7 twists when most had 7.7-8 in stock at the time.

When you get a chance to wring it out at 400 let us know. A 100 yard .5 moa gun is easy to come by, heck most model 1 sales barrels can get there if the tube is floated right and you reload... but a true under MOA gun even at 300 is a gem.

BTW others have commented, and I too love the camo. That type of camo scaled up a bit would look great on my airboat.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It'd cost you a weekend of fishing for me to come camo your boat, Jeff... grin

Water's hard to find out here. Finding water without 30,000 people on it drinking, skiing, and running waverunners is even harder.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ain't much good on fishing unless its cats... but have caught a red or three while duck hunting. So much water down there on the coast you can find a spot with no one else around generall....

We did find Ski Apache fairly crowded one time on MLK weekend... I'll never go on a holiday weekend again, probably never go again anyway, I do more falling than skiing....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.