Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That's about what I paid for my camo model at Dick's. They were having a pretty good sale on shotguns when I was there.

GB1

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Picked up the 220f tonight,I ended up buying the weaver bases 402M and 46M.States they work on model savage 110-116.coobie.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My 220f has the EGW #2120 base, Warne QD medium rings and a Leupold Super Slam 2-7x33.

Perfect function, perfect fit.
Very nice little rig.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mounting a scope is beyond my capabilities,my gun dealer has a smith that will let me watch and talk me through it.I was told that the Nikon pro staff 2-7 is too short to mount on the long action,any thoughts on this?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah the Nikon pro staff is crap any how so just as well....

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
....but if you must use this base and rock on...EGW #2120 base

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The best part about the EGW base is it provides the greatest amount of mounting flexibility....and the pro staff will fit the 2120 as dvdgeorge has stated.

Those bases will fit coobie but will limit you to scopes with longer tubes.....the pro staff is SHORT and will need extension rings or the EGW setup I'm afraid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't thin leupold is in my budget,what is wrong with Nikon?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have the Nikon "Slugger" scope on a T/C Pro Hunter 20 gauge slug and it is holding zero. All my other scopes are Leopold.

It is the only Nikon I have ever owned. Regardless of your scope selection use the EGW base and do it right the first time for proper "EYE" relief.

Doc

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by D2Junky
The best part about the EGW base is it provides the greatest amount of mounting flexibility....and the pro staff will fit the 2120 as dvdgeorge has stated.

Those bases will fit coobie but will limit you to scopes with longer tubes.....the pro staff is SHORT and will need extension rings or the EGW setup I'm afraid.
Thanks,I hope they will.I am mounting a B&L elite 4200 1.5X6X36 scope.coobie

Last edited by coobie; 12/18/09.
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Doc's right guys. HOWEVER....the talley medium lightweights arrived today. I forgot how long these actions are....with medium height extended front Talley lightweights a vx-II 3-9x40 JUST fits as far as ring placement/eye relief goes. It's not quite perfect for me at 9 power but doubt I will ever have it cranked that high. Filled the mag with UNFIRED 2 3/4 inch shells to check for function. This thing feeds great. All rounds ejected with plenty of room to spare and didn't bump the windage adjustment cover AT ALL....EVEN WHEN I BABIED IT.

NEXT POINT.... this action is TIGHT....I mean farmer tight. If you work the bolt with allacrity it will toss a shell as far as you want but you gotta drive it like your life depends on it. I will say that this is one of the few guns that I have mounted a scope on that didn't require ANY lapping of the rings at all. I'm sure a testament to both Talley as well as Savage....

WE got snow to our bungholes today so don't know if I get to function test and site tomorrow but if I do I'll post my results.
I'll rock on as setup at this point but if I had to do it over or I mount a different scope the EGW setup will be on this gun and is what I would recommend......now if I can get McMillan to do something up with my LOP then I ain't touching nothin.

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This has been a very informative post,thanks to all who have posted.I learned a lot from it,thanks again.coobie

Last edited by coobie; 12/18/09.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WTM45
My 220f has the EGW #2120 base, Warne QD medium rings and a Leupold ULTIMATE Slam 2-7x33.

Perfect function, perfect fit.
Very nice little rig.

Leupold Ultimate Slam 2-7x33, not "Super Slam."
My error.

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by coobie
Picked up the 220f tonight,I ended up buying the weaver bases 402M and 46M.States they work on model savage 110-116.coobie.
I put my scope on today with the weaver bases,B&L 4200 1.5X6X36 bolt clears the scope and ejects clear.coobie

Last edited by coobie; 12/19/09.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I got my 220 set up and took it to the rage today-I like the gun, the recoil is not bad at all and it was shooting great untill it started misfiring with the Barnes blue tips. Got one to go, then nothing. The pin would drop but barely indent the primer. I called Savage and the "sevice" person said they recommend Remington Accutips. I said the gun should shoot (or fire) any 20ga shell I put in it and we kind of went downhill from there. They said send it back, but they will be closed untill Jan. 4 and there's the hassle of shipping and all. Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to see if I can figure it out, if I do, I'll post my findings.

Golden............
C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by davidlea
I got my 220 set up and took it to the rage today-I like the gun, the recoil is not bad at all and it was shooting great untill it started misfiring with the Barnes blue tips. Got one to go, then nothing. The pin would drop but barely indent the primer. I called Savage and the "sevice" person said they recommend Remington Accutips. I said the gun should shoot (or fire) any 20ga shell I put in it and we kind of went downhill from there. They said send it back, but they will be closed untill Jan. 4 and there's the hassle of shipping and all. Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to see if I can figure it out, if I do, I'll post my findings.
I have not had my 220f in the field yet,maybe this weekend so I will let you know how it shoots.My question to savage would be why in your booklet/manual it states to shoot the barnes sabot and the remington sabots.coobie

B
B
I just got my 220 F slug gun yesterday. Paid $415 which is the best price I have seen. Got it at Ozark guns in Gastonia, NC. They had to order it, but it only took about a week and the price was great. Hope to figure out the whole mount thing soon. No clear choice Went with the Nikon Slugmaster 2-7 x 40 BDC 200 scope. Not too much available with long eye relief in quality optics (kahles, swarovski, etc...) but I have had good success with the Nikon Omega on the muzzleloader so hoping for the same results on the slug gun.

S
S
Hi coobie and davidlea:

With regards to mis-fires, I myself have found that one MUST ensure the bolt is all the way down, otherwise the pin will fall but no BOOM.

Last edited by shawnpeck; 01/06/10.
S
S
For any that want a different option mounting a scope.
Leupold bases (#55742) for a Savage 110 fit the 220 perfect.

Put the windage base up front, with the windage screws toward the back of the gun. Be advised I had to file the burrs off about 1/32 inch on the end of the screws that went on the rear base, otherwise when I tightened them down it caught the bolt.

Leupold medium extension rings (#49911) work with my 3-9X40 just fine.

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shawnpeck
Hi coobie and davidlea:

With regards to mis-fires, I myself have found that one MUST ensure the bolt is all the way down, otherwise the pin will fall but no BOOM.

Thanks for the information.coobie

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.