Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just ordered the new Savage model 220-F slug gun(20 ga.).I have read a few articles that look very good as far as accuracy with this shotgun.They state 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards,I guess we will try her out when the gun gets here in a few weeks.I will post my results.coobie

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just traded for one of those,with the camo stock,now I have to find a scope that matches.
looking for something around a 1.5-5 X or there about,any ideas coobie?

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
I just traded for one of those,with the camo stock,now I have to find a scope that matches.
looking for something around a 1.5-5 X or there about,any ideas coobie?
I have a B&L elite 4200 scope 1.5X6X40 that I had lying around that I am going to mount,mine is flat black.coobie.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Keep us posted on your range report.

Doc

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Stopped at Dick's the other day with the mrs.....and they had one in camo. Long story short she bought it for me for christmas and it was 30 dollars off. All posts I have read on every forum say scope mounting is critical to proper ejection and on the bag with all the info in it it stated they recommended the EGW rail and weaver extra highs. I went for Talley lightweight mediums (and even considered highs) and still undecided on the scope. I too will post my results but if anyboy else has any experience it would be appreciated.
Also heavily considering talking to McMillan........

IC B2

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by D2Junky
Stopped at Dick's the other day with the mrs.....and they had one in camo. Long story short she bought it for me for christmas and it was 30 dollars off. All posts I have read on every forum say scope mounting is critical to proper ejection and on the bag with all the info in it it stated they recommended the EGW rail and weaver extra highs. I went for Talley lightweight mediums (and even considered highs) and still undecided on the scope. I too will post my results but if anyboy else has any experience it would be appreciated.
Thanks for the heads up on the rings..coobie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to Cabelas last week to look at one,but they are out again!! Worse than primers!! I could get interested in one of those for the local hunting here...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The guys at Dicks said they trickle in 1 and 2 at a time and they don't stay for long. It was a productive day as I scored 500 WLRM primers at Bass Pro. I haven't seen a large rifle magnum primer of any type in over 2 years in these parts.

I'm hoping the talley mediums give me enough height for ejection....I think some of the problems come from guys babyin' the bolt. This thing is machined TIGHT. Bolt fit is about as tight as anything I've picked up in a while and you gotta drive it like you stole it to eject a round.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D2,if you could post pics of your scope mounting I would greatly appreciate it,I don't know crap from crisco about scopes and I would like to get an education.
I was looking at the Nikon pro staff 2-7x scope,seemed like a good deal and in my budget.
thanks

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mounts should be arriving any day. That scope is a bit short on tube length and you WILL need an extended front mount. That action is LOOOONG. I ordered the extended talley lightweights so I'll post up as soon as its on. I have yet to see one with this setup so I'm the guinea pig.

IC B3

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What is a EGW rail,never heard of it?Thanks for any info.My gunshop just called tonight and said my 220F will be in tomarrow.coobie.

Last edited by coobie; 12/15/09.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Evolution gun works one piece base. Its a picatinny type mount that you can use Weaver or picatinny type rings. It offers a good deal of versatility in mounting the scope....now having said that its also going to add weight and I really gotta think that a 1 piece mount on this gun can't make for ease in ejection. I would stick with two piece bases. Anything that will fit a Savage 110 accutrigger action (round front and rear) will also fit the 220f. The EGW mount is actually the same one they make for the 110. It looks hell for stout but I'm going the lightweight Talley route.

I think the other reason for Savage recommendation is it will add a good bit of height to the mounting setup further getting the scope out of the way. If the talley mediums don't do it for me Im certain the highs will.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mounts should be arriving any day. That scope is a bit short on tube length and you WILL need an extended front mount. That action is LOOOONG. I ordered the extended talley lightweights so I'll post up as soon as its on. I have yet to see one with this setup so I'm the guinea pig.

I was thinking of the lower power for quicker aquisition,but as I said,IDK much about optics.

I read an online article by Randy ...? and in his pics he used a 2 piece mount.

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Evolution gun works one piece base. Its a picatinny type mount that you can use Weaver or picatinny type rings. It offers a good deal of versatility in mounting the scope....now having said that its also going to add weight and I really gotta think that a 1 piece mount on this gun can't make for ease in ejection. I would stick with two piece bases. Anything that will fit a Savage 110 accutrigger action (round front and rear) will also fit the 220f. The EGW mount is actually the same one they make for the 110. It looks hell for stout but I'm going the lightweight Talley route.

I think the other reason for Savage recommendation is it will add a good bit of height to the mounting setup further getting the scope out of the way. If the talley mediums don't do it for me Im certain the highs will.
Thanks for the EGW info.Thanks again,coobie.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am picking on up tomorrow as a buddies wife sent me a check and asked me to grab him something for Xmas....my dealer has one set aside for me at $429.00

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I am picking on up tomorrow as a buddies wife sent me a check and asked me to grab him something for Xmas....my dealer has one set aside for me at $429.00
Did you buy the black syn.or cammo stock?coobie

Last edited by coobie; 12/16/09.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
black

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
black
Thanks,I paid $489 for the cammo stock version.coobie

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up my camo 220F,and all I can say is WOW!,looks and handles like a rifle,the trigger?now I know what you guys are talking about when you say a rifle has a nice trigger.

as I've said before,I always felt like I was being punished when I had to reach past my 336,mod 7,and Savage 99 to get my Ithaca 37 slug gun,but now the 37 goes back to being a shotgun,and I get to use a repeating rifle for deer hunting in NJ!

a cool little side note,the first 2 digits of the ser# are 99,so I do get to hunt with my Savage 99 in NJ.......well sort of anyway.I get to mount a scope on a gun that was meant to have a scope on it,no,cantlever,saddle mount,abortion BS.
you guy's that haven't had to go from hunting with a rifle to using a modified pheasant gun for deer will never know how happy this gun makes me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ended up grabbing him the camo model as one came in my price was $455

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That's about what I paid for my camo model at Dick's. They were having a pretty good sale on shotguns when I was there.

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Picked up the 220f tonight,I ended up buying the weaver bases 402M and 46M.States they work on model savage 110-116.coobie.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My 220f has the EGW #2120 base, Warne QD medium rings and a Leupold Super Slam 2-7x33.

Perfect function, perfect fit.
Very nice little rig.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mounting a scope is beyond my capabilities,my gun dealer has a smith that will let me watch and talk me through it.I was told that the Nikon pro staff 2-7 is too short to mount on the long action,any thoughts on this?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah the Nikon pro staff is crap any how so just as well....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
....but if you must use this base and rock on...EGW #2120 base

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The best part about the EGW base is it provides the greatest amount of mounting flexibility....and the pro staff will fit the 2120 as dvdgeorge has stated.

Those bases will fit coobie but will limit you to scopes with longer tubes.....the pro staff is SHORT and will need extension rings or the EGW setup I'm afraid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't thin leupold is in my budget,what is wrong with Nikon?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have the Nikon "Slugger" scope on a T/C Pro Hunter 20 gauge slug and it is holding zero. All my other scopes are Leopold.

It is the only Nikon I have ever owned. Regardless of your scope selection use the EGW base and do it right the first time for proper "EYE" relief.

Doc

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The best part about the EGW base is it provides the greatest amount of mounting flexibility....and the pro staff will fit the 2120 as dvdgeorge has stated.

Those bases will fit coobie but will limit you to scopes with longer tubes.....the pro staff is SHORT and will need extension rings or the EGW setup I'm afraid.
Thanks,I hope they will.I am mounting a B&L elite 4200 1.5X6X36 scope.coobie

Last edited by coobie; 12/18/09.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Doc's right guys. HOWEVER....the talley medium lightweights arrived today. I forgot how long these actions are....with medium height extended front Talley lightweights a vx-II 3-9x40 JUST fits as far as ring placement/eye relief goes. It's not quite perfect for me at 9 power but doubt I will ever have it cranked that high. Filled the mag with UNFIRED 2 3/4 inch shells to check for function. This thing feeds great. All rounds ejected with plenty of room to spare and didn't bump the windage adjustment cover AT ALL....EVEN WHEN I BABIED IT.

NEXT POINT.... this action is TIGHT....I mean farmer tight. If you work the bolt with allacrity it will toss a shell as far as you want but you gotta drive it like your life depends on it. I will say that this is one of the few guns that I have mounted a scope on that didn't require ANY lapping of the rings at all. I'm sure a testament to both Talley as well as Savage....

WE got snow to our bungholes today so don't know if I get to function test and site tomorrow but if I do I'll post my results.
I'll rock on as setup at this point but if I had to do it over or I mount a different scope the EGW setup will be on this gun and is what I would recommend......now if I can get McMillan to do something up with my LOP then I ain't touching nothin.

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This has been a very informative post,thanks to all who have posted.I learned a lot from it,thanks again.coobie

Last edited by coobie; 12/18/09.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WTM45
My 220f has the EGW #2120 base, Warne QD medium rings and a Leupold ULTIMATE Slam 2-7x33.

Perfect function, perfect fit.
Very nice little rig.

Leupold Ultimate Slam 2-7x33, not "Super Slam."
My error.

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by coobie
Picked up the 220f tonight,I ended up buying the weaver bases 402M and 46M.States they work on model savage 110-116.coobie.
I put my scope on today with the weaver bases,B&L 4200 1.5X6X36 bolt clears the scope and ejects clear.coobie

Last edited by coobie; 12/19/09.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I got my 220 set up and took it to the rage today-I like the gun, the recoil is not bad at all and it was shooting great untill it started misfiring with the Barnes blue tips. Got one to go, then nothing. The pin would drop but barely indent the primer. I called Savage and the "sevice" person said they recommend Remington Accutips. I said the gun should shoot (or fire) any 20ga shell I put in it and we kind of went downhill from there. They said send it back, but they will be closed untill Jan. 4 and there's the hassle of shipping and all. Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to see if I can figure it out, if I do, I'll post my findings.

Golden............
C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by davidlea
I got my 220 set up and took it to the rage today-I like the gun, the recoil is not bad at all and it was shooting great untill it started misfiring with the Barnes blue tips. Got one to go, then nothing. The pin would drop but barely indent the primer. I called Savage and the "sevice" person said they recommend Remington Accutips. I said the gun should shoot (or fire) any 20ga shell I put in it and we kind of went downhill from there. They said send it back, but they will be closed untill Jan. 4 and there's the hassle of shipping and all. Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to see if I can figure it out, if I do, I'll post my findings.
I have not had my 220f in the field yet,maybe this weekend so I will let you know how it shoots.My question to savage would be why in your booklet/manual it states to shoot the barnes sabot and the remington sabots.coobie

B
B
I just got my 220 F slug gun yesterday. Paid $415 which is the best price I have seen. Got it at Ozark guns in Gastonia, NC. They had to order it, but it only took about a week and the price was great. Hope to figure out the whole mount thing soon. No clear choice Went with the Nikon Slugmaster 2-7 x 40 BDC 200 scope. Not too much available with long eye relief in quality optics (kahles, swarovski, etc...) but I have had good success with the Nikon Omega on the muzzleloader so hoping for the same results on the slug gun.

S
S
Hi coobie and davidlea:

With regards to mis-fires, I myself have found that one MUST ensure the bolt is all the way down, otherwise the pin will fall but no BOOM.

Last edited by shawnpeck; 01/06/10.
S
S
For any that want a different option mounting a scope.
Leupold bases (#55742) for a Savage 110 fit the 220 perfect.

Put the windage base up front, with the windage screws toward the back of the gun. Be advised I had to file the burrs off about 1/32 inch on the end of the screws that went on the rear base, otherwise when I tightened them down it caught the bolt.

Leupold medium extension rings (#49911) work with my 3-9X40 just fine.

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shawnpeck
Hi coobie and davidlea:

With regards to mis-fires, I myself have found that one MUST ensure the bolt is all the way down, otherwise the pin will fall but no BOOM.

Thanks for the information.coobie

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks coobie, I'll make sure to really pull the handle down. I just changed the bases on mine, the Leupold two piece with the rear base reversed (single dove tail on front, double windage screws on rear) kept the shells from ejecting cleanly. I used the Burris Tactical two piece, and trimmed the foward portion of the rear base away from the port. I have med. Weaver rings on it now, and I hpe the there will be no ejection issues. I'm waiting for a break in the weather to get it to the range. I'm really liking this gun,and the recoil is a joy compared to the 870 12ga I had been shooting.

Golden............
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a 210 I believe the 12 ga version. We had to mount the scope so that the top adjustment knob for elevation was on the left side of the gun and the side windage knob of the scope was on top instead of on the right side of the gun as you would normally mount it. So in other words we turned the scope 45 degrees counter clockwise so that the empty casings would not hit the windage knob when you bolted the gun.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've heard that also, with the reticle I'm using it wouldn't work. A Weaver #46 on the front and a #402 rear (they call this an extension base) works also. I'd still cut away the "overhang" on the rear base to be sure.

Golden............
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The EGW #2120 base is the way to go.
Period.

You can use whatever rings/scope combo you like.
No problems.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I can't see how a one piece base can help with the ejection issue. It will, however, allow you to mount about anything on the gun. It helps to have easier access to the chamber with anything, one piece bases hinder that. The EGW is a fine base (although expensive for what it is), but to keep the shells, fired or not, from hitting the base and not fully ejecting, a two piece base is a better choice. Obviously some folks have no issue for whatever reason. This is how I worked on the problem that I was having.

Golden............
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm speaking from hands on experience with one.
Believe me if you will, don't if you don't want to.

The one piece EGW base is machined well and does not block the ejection port at all.
And, it gives you a lot of room for scope, rings and mounting options.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Any more reports? I've mounted up an extra VarixII 3-9 in Med. Talley's and kinda thinkin about heading to the range to finally shoot this thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mine has been in limbo at my buddies shop,since I got it(a long story),now I'm waiting for the rear base to come in so he can put my new Redfield on it and I can take it out and try it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.