Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Is anyone using the new IMR pellets? I'm happy with the Triple Seven magnum pellets but curious if there's enough gain to try switching. I can't tell from the vague literature on the IMR package if their product will produce better velocities, clean up easier or smoke less. I'd be happy to hear what anyone who tried the IMR has found out. Thanks, David

Golden............
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
David,

I love em. I can shoot any 209 primer. I can shoot 50grs for an upclose and personal Javelina shot or 100grs for larger game and NEVER experience an overly fouled barrel due to unburnt powder. They do burn hot. Among the pellet BPS that I have shot, it is my favorite. Clean up? I take a dry brush and run it down the barrel 5 times. Tip the barrel downward and a fine powder residue falls out. I follow that up with a wet patch, a dry patch, a lightly coated patch of CLP and the barrel is clean. All that is left is the breech plug and threads.

I've shot a 15 round string (had to stop because I ran out of bullets) of a mixture of bullets (Shockwaves, Barnes, and PB's) without ever swabbing the barrel.

Is there a downside? Well yes there is? Its a pelletized powder, you can't dial in a load like you can with loose powder. If you plan to shoot silhouette BP competition, it would not be my first choice, but for hunting? I use it.

Is that all? No. I spoke with someone at Hodgdon's Wednesday about their new 8280XBR. Since I had him on the phone, I asked if there was any plans to produce a loose version of WH's. He agreed that with loose you can dial in a more accurate load and there might, just might be something on the market in 2011 that looks like loose White. I think they should call it Cocaine wink Sorry Rick.

Don't get me wrong, they are plenty hunter accurate. Try them and let us know, please.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just my experience. I use 2 of the 777 magnum pellets and am sited in at 100 yds with a 300gr XTP. 2 white hot pellets consistantly group 2-3 inches below the pt of impact of the magnum pellets. Just my own, unscientific study.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I killed two doe last Saturday using the White Hot pellets at around 120 yards, They shot accurate and didn't produce a lot of smoke. I am however going back to the Black Horn 209 powder for next season because it's so much cleaner then the White Hots. White Hots cleaned up easy but not as easy as the BH209, and I found that after 3 or 4 shots with the WH I needed to swab the barrel but with the BH209 I could shoot shot after shot without having to swab the barrel.

Last edited by JEREMIAHJOHNSON; 12/13/09.

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It's a fact loose powder shoots tighter groups then pellets.I used 777 magnums and pyrodex pellets.Now I shootloose 777 out of my knight rolling block.Will never look back.Pellets burn to inconsistant hands down.I have no experince with the white hot.777 has plenty of knockdown power for whitetail!Shoot them both yourself to see what groups best.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JEREMIAHJOHNSON
White Hots cleaned up easy but not as easy as the BH209, and I found that after 3 or 4 shots with the WH I needed to swab the barrel but with the BH209 I could shoot shot after shot without having to swab the barrel.

Wired, I had the same problem with BH209 before I started shooting 110grs and using only Federal or CCI primer's. My breech plug still gets a wet black greasy soot.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
i find this to be hotter and faster the imr white hot that is then anything else ive use, also can shoot 10 rounds with out cleaning the barrel between shots alsothe hole clean up is like american ponniner very little.can't say about bh209 but like this stuff ill keep this thanks rudy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used IMR White Hots earlier this season ........ switched from American Pioneer Gold stick powder. Easier to use, burned clean, accuracy was as good or better, clean up much easier.

Shooting 2 T/C Omega .50cal ML's.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.