Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like my Tikka T-3 Lite SS in 338. It is under 7.5 lbs with scope and sling. Shoots great and carries better and I still have all the power of the 338 mag.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 257STEW
I have always said that the 325 is a winner. I wish one of the better gun scribes would do an article comparing the 325 to the 30/06 to see how it stacks up.The 325 with 180's should shoot as flat as an 06 with the same weight and hit as hard, and come in some fairly compact/light rifles. Use to be that if you wanted more gun than an 06 you had no choice but to go to a larger,heavier gun or go custom. Now you can go smaller,lighter thanks to the 325 and IMHO still be a step up in performance.
I now recommend the 30/06 or 325 to guys wanting to start out.The 30/06 still has more bullet choices for reloaders and more ammo choices for the non-handloader but if you are a one ammo/one load type hunter than there is no difference really.

Unnless you can make an 06' go about 3100 fps with 180's its nowhere near a 325.

Both are great rounds though.

Bill

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Kimber Montana's kinda piss me off. My 325 is such a good rifle there's been too many times when I've thought about carrying some other very nice rifles I have and end up not hunting them because the Kimber is just a better hunting tool. It's sorta obsoleted too many rifles. When I hunt with other rifles I keep thinking how nice it would be to have a Montana in that caliber. It's kinda pissing me off they they are so good and for me just one rifle is boring.................................DJ

Mine makes me mad as hell too! I have a new Remington 700 SS 257Wby with a McMillan Edge stock was thinking about hunting this year "BUT" when it was time for the hunt the 325 Montana went and the 257Roy stayed in the safe! The 325wsm gave me another one shot kill man this rife is making me mad....

randy..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Kimber Montana's kinda piss me off. My 325 is such a good rifle there's been too many times when I've thought about carrying some other very nice rifles I have and end up not hunting them because the Kimber is just a better hunting tool. It's sorta obsoleted too many rifles. When I hunt with other rifles I keep thinking how nice it would be to have a Montana in that caliber. It's kinda pissing me off they they are so good and for me just one rifle is boring.................................DJ

When I read this, I thought I'd posted it! Plus one.

Exbiologist: agreed on the BLR trigger. It sucks. However, Neil Jones can cure it! Mine now breaks acceptably clean at 3 lbs...

To the original poster. I have a .325 BLR, as well as a bolt .338. My .338 is a M700 XCR with a 3.5-10 Conquest in Talley LW's on it; I don't know the weight but that should get you close if you want to look up the specs. I also have a .325 Montana.

As far as recoil, perhaps the simplest way to put it would be that if you can "handle" a .338, then you can handle a lighter .325. I hate putting in those terms because it makes it sound like a macho thing, and it ain't, it's more just how a person is wired but whatever.... Anyway the .325's recoil is a bit faster and sharper, but there's a bit more of it with a .338...

I like my BLR (once the trigger was fixed) but by the time you factor in a trigger job plus shipping, you are getting into Kimber Montana money, and frankly I'd advise getting a Montana over a BLR unless you really have use for the fast-repeater aspect of the BLR- like as a timber elk rifle, or for hogs...

As to killing power, the .338 has a great record of that. My pard in elk camp is using an A-bolt in .338 and has flattened a few elk with it PRONTO (course the next one might run a half mile <grin>). I killed two elk with a .325 and 200-gn Accubonds and was very impressed with how it performed. .325 is, in my non-expert opinion, a great elk cartridge.

If I can answer any specific questions about a .325 BLR vs. a .338, let me know, seeing how I have both! smile

In the meantime, another way to put it, is that in terms of recoil, I'd take a shot from any position with one, that I'd take with the other, and just treat either with the respect we show any reasonably hard kicker. Get your body right, pay attention to detail. But .325 from a BLR ain't brutal, not even close.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Let's compare the .325 and the .338 WM with 250, 275, and 300 grain (cast or jacketed) bullets.....and their respective sectional densities...oh, guess we can't as no one has mentioned the .325 and those heavies

Maybe the bullet companies have quit making them for the .338....NOT!!.

The .325 was meant for all those who don't understand the merits of the .338, and are happy with the 200 grain bullet. Yet, the .338 was meant for the 250-300 grain bullets.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think that's relevant. Hardly anyone uses anything heavier than 250-gn in .338 Win. Modern bullets have kind of obsoleted super-heavy cup-n-cores. Most use 200's-225's. I mean, if the 210 Partition is an excellent elk bullet in a .338, and by all accounts it is, then.......

At any rate there is a 220 A-frame for the .325... gotta think that'll penetrate with any 250-gn .33 bullet.

But at any rate, Buckeye, if what you are horned up about is how Winchester originally pimped the .325 as being more powerful than .338, then I'm not arguing with you. That was a BS claim. .338 is more powerful.

.325 is pretty damn potent, though. wink And you can get it in light, compact rifles that don't kill ya...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Agreed, the .325 is a lot of horsepower...hadn't heard that there was a 220 gr. A-frame for it now.

I do resent the hype/lies put out by the factory ammunition marketers [same as the auto companies] especially as it results in detouring many new shooters from reviewing apples-to-apples ballistics comaparison data.

I see the new Lyman reloading manual has totally omitted its previous excellent Exterior Ballistics chapter, including the Optimum Game Weight formula. New shooters will now learn even less!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
It'd be kind of interesting to load em both to the same pressure (325 and the 200 and a 06 with a 200) and then do some penetration tests and see how they faired.

Obviously using the same kind of 200 in each. Thinking I'd still be for betting that the 06 would stay with and or beat it when it comes to penetration. But, I could be wrong...been so many times b4.

Be a fun test at any rate.

Dober

Not quite the test you're looking for but this past hunting season a pard and I went on a moose hunt. He was packing a 300WM and 200gr A-Frames, I was packing my 325WSM and 200gr Accubonds. Both of us killed and had similar shot angles and distances.

Granted it was one small test, but I was impressed. My pard shot his moose at about 75 yards, 3 shots, first was a little high above the spine and dropped the bull he got to his feet after a minute or so and he shot it it again behind the shoulder, it stood so he shot it again through the shoulder and it dropped. Upon inspection and dismantling we found 2 of the bullets lodged under the hide on the oposite side. Nice mushrooms and from the looks of it very high weight retention.

My bull was about 100 yards, broadside, I put one right behind the shoulder. The bull spun and started trotting for the trees at the shot. I wasn't 100% sure I'd hit him due to lack of reaction, but knew that the liklyhood of missing at that range was very slim so I gave him a THS. he dropped on the spot.

Upon disection, the first shot blew cleanly through, the second was never recovered, nor did we gut him to see how much penitration it acchieved. I know it made it up through to the stomach however, and likely farther but thats the extent of my autopsy.

One instance is hardly enough to draw a conclusion from, but my experiences with Accubonds on 15+ other large animals in various other calibers has led me to have great confidance in thier performance. There is nothing up here that I wouldn't hunt with a 325.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Accubonds are what I used in my .325 on a couple elk. Excellent penetration on both. I also shot through a deer lengthwise, starting with a bullseye on the hip joint; 70% weight retention on that bullet.

Guess there's an 8mm E-tip now, 180-gn. That's interesting. When I looked last week they hadn't come up with a BC for it yet though.

What floats my boat on the WSM's are the rifles you can get. Like my BLR or Montana. Lotta ouch per ounce!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.