Print Thread
Hop To
#3553311 12/08/09
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I just got back from HI and was talking to a guide for our kayak trip on Kauai. He told me that are TONS of Deer and wild pigs put there. Anybody have any pics?

"The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon"- Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted Polnesian (sp) pigs on the big island a couple years ago. Hunted on the Parker ranch. Saw lots but they were skittish and took off way before you could get set up. finally got a big boar from the pick up. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will forward a photo to you.

Last edited by Rolly; 12/09/09.

Rolly
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by LiveFree
He told me that are TONS of Deer and wild pigs put there.

Shhhhhh, brah no advatise bum by we going get too many tourist wit guns. Oh wait neva mine.

I'm from Oahu, but the family on Maui say's there about 4k head of Axis deer on Maui but the Department Tourism won't advertise because the last thing tourist want to hear going off in the back ground is an Aut06. Its not against the law, just not advertised. In fact, I was told that at one point they were hiring bow hunters to keep the population in check. Lots of goats as well.

We would either use dogs and knife if we needed the pig then and there or trap & pen them till it as time for the luau. Then it was a simple matter of a .22lr in the ear cannel during the daily feeding. Dogs helped out because pigs are mostly nocturnal and bed down during the day. Catching piglets is a lot of fun. No weapon needed other than your mouth.

Da HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Yeah I think you're SOL on the tourist thing, lol. The guy I was talking to about hunting was on Kauai. Got any pics of those Axis Deer?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'll see if my cousin can send me some. I never hunted deer back home just pig. I need to plan a trip solely for the purpose of just hunting (deer, goat, and pig).

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HaYen

We would either use dogs and knife if we needed the pig then and there

I ended up getting a place on the Big Island in Kona a while back. Going up North and talking to some of the locals about how they pig hunt was enlightening. We compared some scars, as I tried the spear/knife thing in Panama with mixed results.....as in the pig mixed it up with me.

I can't imagine going in with a knife for the throat even if the dogs are hounding it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The video below is not me but one sample. Personally, I would have used about 3 more dogs and a much larger fixed blade knife. I don't know what bradda's problem was. Eh, notice da flak jack collars on da dogz, essential to keep the injury to da dogz one minimum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3eXHifjut0&NR=1

Ok so you know da big island den? K, Ova in da Kalaupapa area, at nite, get some pretty big pigs. and den da rancha's de let you put traps yeah on der property 'cuz dey no like pocha's come by shoot da pigs and scare da hos'es.

Sorry could resist da piegon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I watched that video and I can think of nothing any more disgusting than making an animal suffer while his throat is being repeatedly cut because the animal is strugling for his life. I think we are lucky there is any hunting left in HI if that is the way the locals do it. Don't ask me to support that kind of crualty to animals. That was terrible. Absolutely horrible.

I have to ask what this guy accomplished other than making an animal suffer? That suffering could have been eliminated by a quick pistol shot to the ear and the hog would have been done.

Personally, I wouldn't even want to be around a man who would make an animal suffer like he did. Must need to see a shrink or something.

Hell, if you can brush this kind of activity off in the name of sport, tell the jerk to use a stick next time and beat the poor thing to death.

Last edited by Rolly; 12/10/09.

Rolly
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Rolly- Shame on you. Hunting hogs with dogs has been a Hawaiian tradition for centuries. If you spend much time hunting hogs you will find they squeal at almost everything.

Of course YOUR perfectly placed brain shot while they are darting around will kill them but I can tell you from someone who has killed hundreds of hogs at close range they rarely go down without a sound and mostly squeal at the drop of a hat.

Many traditions in other parts of the world- africans with spears, etc. Repulsive to you but a lifestyle for them. Call it 'not to your taste'- understood- but trashing a Hawaiian hunting brother on an internet forum is poor form. The few guys I have hunted the islands with are some of the best sportsmen/hunters I know.

Not your tweed jacket teacup crowd- thats for sure- but they suit me just fine.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
To the Original poster;
I'm a mainlander who has mostly bowhunted Kauai, Big Island, Maui and Oahu. The best hunting oportunities for us "NonLocals" is on Lanai [draw axis hunt in the spring- good odds]public land on Molowkai, Public on big Island and Kauai, and guided hunts on all islands. The Axis is excellent on Maui private land.

Going off on your own in the jungle in some of these areas can be trouble- numerous pot plots- some booby trapped. And its easy to get turned around in the jungle. Most public hunting areas are ok.

Get your Hunter safety on file early and licensing is no big deal.

Some public areas are decent hunting- like the north side of Kauai [ie 400" of rain a yr] but you will have to travel about 6-8 miles in to have good hunting. No real trophies- mostly small goats and pigs in that area. Be prepared for rough lava under thick grass [ankle biters] in all areas off trail. My ankles are sore for a month after one of those hunts.

Trophy Axis on Maui and some on Lanai. Good luck

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will be in Hawaii next Christmas. What kind of hunting opportunities are there this time of year for out of staters?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
@Lance - Thanks

@Jeff - I really couldn't tell you as we never had a "season" per se. We would get a call from uncle saying we had to go pick up the pig. He didn't mean from a grocery store. Or when aunty said to go out back and get a chicken, she didn't mean from the freezer.

@Rolly - I don't know what to tell you. We did it. We had a very strict up bringing. You respected your elders and did as you we're told. Non-compliance would land you a head smack. This is what we do and how we do it, although let me state two points:

1) We never used a knife that dull or that small. Slicing the main artery seem to kill the animal as fast as a bullet through both lungs or an arrow. The fight leading up to the cut could be seen as inhuman, but this is how we put food on the table and that pig has the capability to do major damage to you and your dogs.

2) Eat a burger lately? Visit any slaughter houses? Cows aren't shot, not the ones I've seen anyway.

Earlier, what I said about tourist and hunting in Hawaii. I hope you folks know I was only joking. I would never tell anyone not to go there. If you do go, please use a guide or a family friend that has hunted there. They know where the animals are and what "area's" you should stay away from. That's all I'll say on that topic. And yes you can use a gun or bow =)

In the words of our last reining monarch
"Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono"
The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness

Aloha
HaYen

Last edited by HaYen; 12/11/09. Reason: fixed typo

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good post HaYen

Last thing we need as hunters is to be fighting amongst ourselves

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HaYen,
I have no problem with killing hogs or hunting with dogs, The repulsive part to what you posted was the repeated inhumane attempt at trying to cut a hogs throat. I don't believe that making the animal suffer because of the technique used to kill is part of the culture. Did your ancestors use dull or short knives?

If you really want to stir up a hornets next just practice killing the pig with a pocket knife the next time. Video that and put it up on the anti-hunter sites. It will do more to stop hunting than anything else we do. The non-hunters will gladly get in line to show that video all around the world and explain what inhumane beasts WE are !

Sorry, but I can't explain the inhumanity I witnessed in your video as "Oh well, it is just part of your culture." Nonsense! Animal crualty should not be condoned. Hunting is not animal crualty. What I saw was not hunting, slaughter or anything except crualty.

Last edited by Rolly; 12/14/09.

Rolly
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can't speak for HaYen or speak to the video[ couldn't download]
Originally Posted by HaYen

@Rolly - I don't know what to tell you. We did it. We had a very strict up bringing. You respected your elders and did as you we're told. Non-compliance would land you a head smack. This is what we do and how we do it, although let me state two points:

1) We never used a knife that dull or that small. Slicing the main artery seem to kill the animal as fast as a bullet through both lungs or an arrow. The fight leading up to the cut could be seen as inhuman, but this is how we put food on the table and that pig has the capability to do major damage to you and your dogs.

Aloha
HaYen

Sounds like you are both in agreement.

Agreed, a quick kill is the decent thing to do. Sounds like the guys in this vid botched it badly.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Mahalo to HaYen. The traditional hog hunting method isn't for me, but a I understand it. I slit a Pronghorns throat once, cause my buddy made two bad shots, and I wanted to try it, never again though.

The guide thing is a must, I would be lost 100 feet from the road in that jungle, lol. The big bush that you guys have out there is insane, growing up to 2 miles long! It's still very cool though

Mele Kalikimaka to you guys!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I killed these back in 06'. Made a 1 day hunt with a guy named Rodney Pierra, runs maui hunting safari's. The goat is a 30'' silver medal, the axis just mixed the book, in the non-steroid texas catagory.grin.... Didn't take a gun, used his, a pos H&R bolt 243. Fun hunt, will do the hawaii boar hunt with him somday. I know he doesn't slit their throats, they tuck it in brhind the shoulder, count to 5, hit em again if they're still alive, guess its pretty fast if you get em in the heart? We're headed down there again Jan 26th-Feb2nd, but Rodneys gonna be back here for the SCI show. Later
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Cool looking animals Judman!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (6MMWASP, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 10 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,196
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.