Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3611709 12/26/09
brno284 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey just day dreaming and wondering if anyone had taken the 300 RCM case and necked it down to 7mm. Looks like it would be a dandy little cartridge and should feed a might bit better than the WSM or SAUM. This is one 7mm I would buy or may build. Thoughts?? Anyone starting one???

Brno 284

If it moves shoot it again!!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not yet but the day aint over...grin

Anything 7 has my attention. A while back I ran a couple rounds thru Rancho Loco's 7 Saum and the lil bugger kind of captivated me.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/26/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the Saums. In some ways I like them better than the WSM's. They're a true SA and I like the 30* shoulder better than the 35* of the WSM. Nit picking for sure though.

Can't really see the why of a 7rcm as it's a 280 that holds fewer down and doesn't feed quite as well.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mac why you likey the 30 better than the 35?

Friend of mine bought a 77/300 RCM today. The stls and syn one, be interested to see how it shoots. I sure do like the feel of the lil gun.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dunno Mark, guess it should feed a skoshe better, but that's likely nonsense. I suppose I just like the way it looks better, which is borderline stupid.

I saw Wards had some 300 RCM's on sale a while back.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think he got a good price on it today?

How would a gun get those darn irons off anyway?

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/26/09.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had wildcats, improved rounds etc. for awhile. I had to look up what a RCM is? I must have missed some article.

These days I look to the rifle. What I mean by that is I want a rifle that I like for its features, finish and finally caliber if you will. Many 'calibers' overlap. I hate to tell you that!

Do what you want. Thats the fun of guns. They don't cost all that much.

Since I can't get excited about another wildcat then I will talk about what I want to. I went into a gunshop and they had a MS half stock carbine. One of the old ones with the rotary magazine. This one was a 7-57 with a signed barrel by JD Darrow. On the postitive side it had the most interesting tiny pop up tang sight. The rifle was not that clean and its finish was gone. Must have been through a lot since Jud had it in his hands. They were asking $1300. Too much, too rough.

Thats what I do some of the time.

Dreaming about guns just like the rest of us.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Would a 7RCM be any different than a 284 in case capacity?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bwinters
Would a 7RCM be any different than a 284 in case capacity?

I believe a grain or two... likely it's a 284 +P

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yes, I am starting one. I have a new Broughton 5C barrel ordered, a Pacific Gauge & Tool reamer, and a Redding FL die for necking down. I will have my 7mm-08 competition seater and neck dies reamed out for the new caliber, so only need a new FL one. I plan to shoot Barnes TXT-tipped 150 grain bullets and will initially try the new Hodgdon Hybrid 100V powder. FYI, Dave Kiff at Pacific Gauge & Tool says that many people are using the 7mm/.300 RCM due to smooth feeding and efficiency compared to the SAUM and WSM versions.

Last edited by Terry_Berkhouse; 12/29/09.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It would be good to see a comparison pic of the four cartridges, that is the 7mm in wsm, saum, 284 and the RCM

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Von Gruff,

Reference your sig, I have read a similar saying.

The contemporary saying was there was nothing a man could not do with a .303 and a .404...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Terry B.,

I would be interested in hearing the results when you complete your 7 RCM.

I just got my reamer from Dave to make a 35/338 RCM. Redding is going to make the two pc die set. Have to wait approx 12 weeks for the dies! I chose the 338 RCM because it is a bit shorter for bullet fit and will be easier to neck up. It turns out am the first to do it. There are 35/30 RCMs but no necked up 338s. A dummy fits and feeds like a dream from my old tang safety short action Ruger. Looking forward having a + P 35 whelen in a short action.

Be sure to update us when your rifle is complete.

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brad
I like the Saums. In some ways I like them better than the WSM's. They're a true SA and I like the 30* shoulder better than the 35* of the WSM. Nit picking for sure though.

Can't really see the why of a 7rcm as it's a 280 that holds fewer down and doesn't feed quite as well.

Not taking issue, but how would a 7RCM be all that much different than a 7SAUM other than hold a few grains less and feed better? Personally, I would rather the Ruger version over the Rem or Win versions...just based on case design and nothing else. It's unfortunate that Ruger is a day late and a dollar short, because they did design the better case in the Short/Fat competition.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It turns out am the first to do it. There are 35/30 RCMs but no necked up 338s.

Azshooter - been thinking about that one myself. Liked the 2.015" case length for long bullets. Got a request out on a forum up here in Canada for a few spent 300RCM and 338RCM cases to neck up to 35 and compare case capacity. Too few RCM guns up here yet I guess.

But maybe you could advise me as to the grs. of water to the case mouth of your 35/338RCM as compared to 35/300RCM flavour - if you mocked one up for comparison?

Also interested in your donor gun for your project?

I built a 350WSM a few years ago and feel the need to go down that wildcat road again for some reason. Dave Kiff also supplied my reamer too for that project - which turned out to be a great rifle BTW.

Thanks - and sorry for the sideways hijack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whelen B PM sent

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Before the .300 WSM hit the market Heavy Express was selling two .358 cartridges on cases of the same size as the WSM (developed from .348 brass converted to rimless and using 40 degree shoulders).

The .350 Heavy Express was a 2.25" case and their data for a 24" barrel showed 200 gr/3,050 fps; 225 gr/2,950 fps; and 250 gr/2,860 fps.

The .350 Heavy Express Short Action Magnum was a 2.060" case and their data again for a 24" barrel showed 200 gr/3,000 fps; 225 ge/2,910 fps; and 250 gr/2,785 fps.

I asked Ruger/Hornady to consider a 6.5 RCM, so I will have to check at SHOT to see if there is any glimmer.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah...What ever happened to "Heavy Express?"

I remember reading about that cartridge back in the mid 90's, then a couple years ago, I was looking for anything on them, and I couldn't find a thing.

The guys name was Jim Busha..or something like that wasn't it..?

Sincerely,
Scott

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by brno284
Hey just day dreaming and wondering if anyone had taken the 300 RCM case and necked it down to 7mm. Looks like it would be a dandy little cartridge and should feed a might bit better than the WSM or SAUM. This is one 7mm I would buy or may build. Thoughts?? Anyone starting one???

Brno 284

Brno,

I may be assuming here, but here goes:

I have been told that the RCM brass has the same basic case head as the .376 Steyr. IMO, that is the biggest detraction. Why would one want to build a wildcat with a bastard case? Especially so, since we already have the 7mm SAUM. The SAUM will easily outperform the RCM, thus building one accomplishes exactly nothing except having something different. Now having something different is nothing which I havn't done... When I built my 1st 9.3x62, few shooters had even heard of it!

Now, I am quite aware that some folks just HAVE to pee on the electric fence for themselves... Thus, if the shoe fits... Que pasa?

Now if I am wrong about the brass dimensions, that makes my logic fairly flawed. However, If one builds a wildcat on the SAUM case, the .284 Win. case or the WSM case, at least one is using a standard bolt face... If one uses the .495 case head, and tires of his 'cat, there is not much one can do with the bolt... And the other downside, is that it adds extra machining to the custom process... Unless one starts with a standard Ruger RCM, and then one is stuck with owning a Ruger. (Which means one is STUCK with a hokey safety... frown )

Just random thoughts from a mostly idle mind.... smile

Grasshopper

addendum: Besides, it would be a fair stretch to come up with an idea for a custom cartridge that hasn't been thought of already, or can possibly fill a logical void... blush

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah...What ever happened to "Heavy Express?"

Even before Jim Busha (sp?) prounounced: Bu-Shay, There was Fred Wade and Roy Gradle who both made short magnums on the .348 Win case with the rim removed. Just goes to prove you have to go back a ways to find something truly original...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
219 members (2UP, 257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.