Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Expect that happened(s) here as well wink

We had a pretty good time brother and niece each filled their tags - first moose for both , even if it was antlerless only. I didn't because because we already had a pile of moose meat.

Saw some nice bulls . I killed a few in the years I lived in the Yukon and this hunting is nicer. Especially the processing !!

Also these farmland/parkland/southern moose aren't the Kevlar coated ones. Niece neatly dispatched hers with one shot out of a 6.5X55 swede - her and my brother tracked down a farmer with a front end loader to help lift it. Old boy wouldn't take a nickel because it was the kid's. Brother used a 280 but one shot was adequate there as well grin

Its a nice addition to the eco system

BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Reading this makes me sick. Back in 1983 I went on a guided elk hunt in the Absorakee Wilderness just on the northern edge of Yellowstone park. The previous spring, when talking to the Larry Gaustad, the outfitter, I asked about buying a moose tag, "over the counter" and having it in my pocket, "just in case". He talked me out of it saying I should save my money. "Their are some real buster bulls in there", he said, "but it was hard to intentionally hunt them. We sometimes run into them accidentally, but not often". Well, on the 8th day of my hunt I shot a 300 class 6-pt elk. On the way back up the mountain with mules to quarter and pack out my bull, we pass within 40 yds of a B&C Shiras bull. Made me sick. Three hours later, heading down the mountain, he was still there, having only moved about 30 yds. Made me even sicker!

Folks, if in doubt, buy the dang extra tag and stuff it in your pocket. Did just that last Sept/08 with my Ruger Bull (http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2701301/1) up in AK. Went for Grizzly and shot a 62" moose with my 45 Colt @ 15 yds. Momma learned me to be a fool only once.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OTC moose tags in '83? Really?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I live in the plains of Saskatchewan, a long ways from real "moose' country. Just spent the day processing 150 lb of roadkilled moose into sausage. Moose are becoming very common on the plains of Saskatchewan. All it takes is for people to stop poaching them at every opportunity. We live in good whitetail deer country. A couple of years ago i was hunting deer in November. I actually ran into more moose than deer - 5 to 3. Next year we will have a draw licence season, hooray! Take care of your game and it will take care of your hunting opportunities.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rl11
OTC moose tags in '83? Really?

That's the way I remember it but then it was over 26 years ago AND I didn't actually go through the process. whistle

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I kind of doubt there were OTC tags for moose in 83.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
coop

You might try the super tags. You chances arn't good, but it isn't expensive like a NR draw.

I've been applying for about 20 years and get my money back every year. However, NR do get drawn occasionally. You are only allowed up to 10% of the tags so if an area doesn't have enough tags to get a NR 1 tag you not going to draw. If my math is corrct that mean an area with at least 10 tags. There is not many of those.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Over the counter MT moose in 83? I started applying after that, took me 19 years to draw I think. I jumped on the Wyoming application the 1st year they started preference points and that only took me 5 years to draw. Both are long shot odds for new-comers but worth it, when you draw a good area. Draw odds in Idaho are pretty good, and Colorado would be worth looking at as I think you're on even keel with all point-holders after year 3. Buying a moose hunt in Utah or Canada might be more expensive than just heading to Alaska for bigger moose in bigger country.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I am not sure about your money situation but have you thought about doing a drop off hunt in Alaska? There are quite a few outfitters in Alaska that can help you plan a self guided moose hunt. Moose permits are over the counter up here. If you are dead set on getting a guided hunt I believe Canada is cheaper.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
260 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.