Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rflshtr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Anybody able to point me towards information on these rifle stocks? Anybody have one and care to comment? Thanks.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lee24 stocks are much better. He invented the synthetic stock.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
R
rflshtr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm hoping that Lee Six's are not just an earlier version of the Lee24's!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe you should ask him to post a picture.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that would mean that the 24's are 4x better than the 6's

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rflshtr
Anybody able to point me towards information on these rifle stocks? Anybody have one and care to comment? Thanks.

Ihad one many years ago, late 80s-early nineties.At the time it was thought to be one of the best. By todays standards in comparrison I would give them a low score. Maybe overtime, hopefully they are an improvement over the earlier versions. Mine was hollow, cold and noisy but it shot like crazy.

BTW, Lee Six is his real name. I believe he took over McMillan rifle barrels years ago. They were some real screamers at one time.

Call Clay Spencer,

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I remember correctly, Chet Brown and Lee Six built the first fiber glass stocks back in the late 60's. Brown moved to Sacremento and the company is still in business. Bill Wiesman bought the McMillan barrel works. He is in College Station Tx.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Savage2005
that would mean that the 24's are 4x better than the 6's

4x6's?.... laugh

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rflshtr

I would, but my Six stock is going on 20 years old--i'm sure it's not the same stock.

Currently, if I were looking for a good quality (and lightweight) stock, it would be a Banser or McMillan.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by docbill
Bill Wiesman bought the McMillan barrel works. He is in College Station Tx.

You are correct. I forgot that I have one of his hats. I think that .009" record still stands but I've heard the barrels are nuttin' what they used to be.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bill Wiesman is not a bench rest guy. He makes a lot of pressure gun barrels and has lately begun to make universal receivers for the industry. At one time he did custom guns and was barreling guns for Empire rifles.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As some one mentioned, Lee Six and Chet Brown were partners. After a short time, they split the molds and went their separate ways. I bought several stocks from Lee. They were a much better made stock than Brown's but required more work than today's stocks. He made both benchrest and hunting rifle stocks and was a great supporter of benchrest. In the mid-eighties he started making the injection molded stocks as used by Remington and others. One shouldn't hold this against him! The Lee Six stock business was sold to George Kelbly and the last Six stock I bought came from there.
I still have and use two Lee Six BR stocks I bought in 1978. GD

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And the Lee Six injection-molded stocks are better than most, as well....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
rflshtr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks to all who provided good info here and via PM. I was having trouble finding info on these stocks and appreciate the help. Sounds like they are an early synthetic, well built, stiff, but not a lightweight stock. The one I was considering is a late 1980's model.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mine is for a 700 LA and weighs right at 2#.

Forgot to say, I believe I purchased mine between 1985 and 1990 direct from lee six.

Allen

Last edited by hemiallen; 12/31/09.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've got a Lee Six I bought off a friend in the mid 90's in Australia...but when it was made in the US I wouldn't know..

Its an ultralight for a Mod 700 SA and I still have it on my .260 Rem SS Mountain Rifle....

One thing bothers me... and that is whilst it appears stiff, if you lay it in the sun during a warm summers day the forend warps towards the sun !! quite a lot! say up to 5mm !!!
Rifle still shoots 'fairly' well.... but this can't be good !!!

BTW whilst the bbl is only free floated...it isn't bedded..

(Photo attached....I thought it would show up on the post?..)

Attached Images
Copia de IMGP4077.JPG (95.9 KB, 848 downloads)
Last edited by ozzie; 12/31/09.

Sunny Australia ....but currently stuck in Spain..
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I pulled mine out of the vault to see, and the recoil pad says six enterprises, and looks similar to yours. It has the injected molding look to it..... Maybe six enterprises isn't lee six like I thought. It is just under 2#, pretty much the same as a bell & carlson for the same LA remington.

Allen

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by hemiallen
I pulled mine out of the vault to see, and the recoil pad says six enterprises, and looks similar to yours. It has the injected molding look to it..... Maybe six enterprises isn't lee six like I thought. It is just under 2#, pretty much the same as a bell & carlson for the same LA remington.

Allen

Allen,

mine is probably Six Enterprises too ...Whoops (sorry Lee Six)!!.. I cant get to it as its 12,000kms away....anyway if yours is like mine.. check out the forend warping on a warm summers day ! If your hunting season is only in winter...no worries !... but it is an issue to be aware of.. if you use it in summer....

cheers

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ozzie
I've got a Lee Six I bought off a friend in the mid 90's in Australia...but when it was made in the US I wouldn't know..

Its an ultralight for a Mod 700 SA and I still have it on my .260 Rem SS Mountain Rifle....

One thing bothers me... and that is whilst it appears stiff, if you lay it in the sun during a warm summers day the forend warps towards the sun !! quite a lot! say up to 5mm !!!
Rifle still shoots 'fairly' well.... but this can't be good !!!

BTW whilst the bbl is only free floated...it isn't bedded..

(Photo attached....I thought it would show up on the post?..)

Ozzie, is the photo to show the warpage?

Retired cat herder.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Nope, it was just to show the rifle's stock just to see if anyone else had one (and practice posting a photo...but I messed up..I thought the photo would be displayed in the post rather than as an attachment you have to open).....I dont know if 'Six Enterprises' and Lee Six had any connection...I just assumed they did and probably made an ass out of myself blush .....

Actually the stock is like a 'sunflower'...when I layed it down on its left side it warped to the right...then I turned it over and it warped the other way...!

Probably in North America this wouldnt be an issue as most of your game seasons are in winter ? ...'Down under' we hunt all year round ..(or whenever we can get a pass from the missus !)
Maybe I should put the original factory laminated stock back on !!!!

BTW Happy New Year to all the happy campers !

Last edited by ozzie; 01/01/10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.