Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hawken Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I'm looking to go on a caribou hunt in next few years. I'm considering Jack Hume adventures;Anyone have experience with them? I plan on bringing my .270 but I could be easily persuaded into using my .54 cal Smokepole. What additional expenses will I have? How much is beer up there? At the moment I only have my brother and my buddy Jim as definite to go, but I suspect I'll be able to wrangle up at least a few other guys to join. Any and all advice and opinions are appreciated. I should mention that none of us have ever gone on a paid, guided hunt; do you think this is a good first choice?

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Jack Hume Adventures is one of the best outfitters in northern Quebec, honest, well organized and well equipped.. I have hunted with them twice and would highly recommend them..I have buddies that have hunted with Hume 10 times, and that kind of repeat business speaks for itself..

As far as firearms go, either your .270 or your front stuffer would be fine, although I'd personally opt for the .270 in the event of a long shot..Hunting is hunting and sometimes opportunities are fewer and you need to be able to take advantage of them.. One option is to hunt with a buddy who is carrying a centrfire rifle and borrow HIS rifle in the event of a long shot..

Beer is expensive , but compared to the total cost of the trip, it's no big deal...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jack Hume Adventures is outstanding. Two friends and I used JHA in 2007 and had the time of our lives. Richard, Jack's son, runs the operation now. None of us had ever been on a guided hunt either so we chose the 1 guide to 6 hunters deal. If you don't have 6 in your group they will put you with other hunters to fill the camp. Our guide was very helpful but we hunted on our own following his suggestions.

As to weapon, take both. I'd want a back up weapon for the group. so if you had ML and .270 there would be a spare weapon just in case. With the ML just be sure to let Richard know in advance what powder you use so he can have it in camp-can fly commercial with that stuff.

If you are not a Canadian resident you'll need a passport. We had to register our rifles upon entry into Canada, at an office the air port, $25 for up to 2 rifles. Other expenses would be hotel one night on the way and one night coming back. Hotel had shuttle service to chartered flight. If you want to have a shoulder mount I'd seriously consider having it done locally, in Canada, particulary if you want to the antlers in velvet and the chances of hair slipping on the cape are less. Also get a U.S. customs form and put your rifles and other valuable equipment on it and have a Customs Agent sign it. This proves you owned the rifles etc. prior to the trip and makes re-entry in to the U.S. smoother.

Plenty of beer up there but weight restriction on float plane is 65 pounds of gear per person so hard liquor might be more weight effective.

I'd bring a spinning rod if you like to fish. Expect rain. We are planning another trip with JHA in 2012.

PM me if you have further questions.

Last edited by MckinneyMike; 12/27/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good advice above.

If you're a DIY type hunter, the 6:1 option satisfies the legal requirement of having a guide, but is basically unguided.

I'd do it. You'll have a blast.....

Camp:

[Linked Image]

Scenery:

[Linked Image]

Fish:

[Linked Image]

Game:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My advice? Bring your camera.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For what its worth, a buddy booked with Safari Nordik and it was a nightmare.

Salmonhead
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Courageous Lake Caribou Camps - Awesome hunting & absolutley perfect logistics from their end!!!

www.courageouslake.com

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by salmonhead
For what its worth, a buddy booked with Safari Nordik and it was a nightmare.

was the operation or lack of caribous his nightmare ?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another vote for Jack Hume. I hunted with them in 2003 and had a great time. As I recall, beer was about $4.00/can for the Candian stuff.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
you re certainly not far we (my boss) charged i think 90$cdn for a pack of 24 this year. but i was on the hudson bay side ... the scheferville prices sometimes are higher ...

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I agree, Jack Hume, i hunted out of there camp in 1986, awesome hunt, my father in law and i got our hunt for $1000 , due to cancelation's of 2 guy's in a other group, turned out good with other hunter's we did not know,5 hunter's= 10 caribou. If i have the chance to do again , i would definatly look at the cancelation option for sure.(cheaper)

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Make sure who ever you go with OWNS THEIR OWN PLANES. Most outfitters will tell you that they will move you to the caribou. If they have to rely on another outfitter with planes and they are moving their hunters, you will be doing a lot of fishing.
I think JHA owns their own planes but double check.

JD338

H
Hawken Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I want to thank everyone for all of this Info.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
JD338,

even if an outfitter got planes this doesnt mean that you ll be flown where the caribous are. if they re more than 300 miles from the camp in the north dont expect for this ... or your bill will be very expensive trust me i ve seen that very often ... Fly out (this is the name is never free ) unless your hunting contract says something else ...!!! dont rely on brochure or words just your signed hunting contract.

Last edited by ruger375; 12/31/09. Reason: forget some words.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ruger375
JD338,

even if an outfitter got planes this doesnt mean that you ll be flown where the caribous are. if they re more than 300 miles from the camp in the north dont expect for this ... or your bill will be very expensive trust me i ve seen that very often ... Fly out (this is the name is never free ) unless your hunting contract says something else ...!!! dont rely on brochure or words just your signed hunting contract.

A signed hunting contract from Quebec isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
worth at least inside Qu�bec and their courts but that s just my advice from inside as a guide not an outfitter ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i am going to plan a caribou hunt for 2011, god willing.
looking at some info, and watching tv, there seems to be alot of animals kiled with no points on the tops or very few little one.

how is this jha's area for good antlers ?

figure this might be my only caribou trip, and would like at least a decent set of head gear for the wall to look at in my old age.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ruger375
worth at least inside Qu�bec and their courts but that s just my advice from inside as a guide not an outfitter ...

OK, could you give me the name of a good lawyer in Quebec who can help 280 American hunters get the $1,000,000+ that was stolen from us by the people that ran Tuttulik Outfitters? So far we haven't been able to get an American attorney to take the case. We all signed contracts, which stated that we would get our money back if our hunt was canceled. All we've gotten from up north has been stonewalling and silence. It's been almost a year and a half.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The racks on the Q/L caribou tend to have shorter top tines than either the Alaska barren ground or the Central Canada barren ground bulls... However, they also are more likely to be palmated, and many have massive bez and shovels and can be VERY wide...A big Q/L bull is impressive indeed....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.