Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 36 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 35 36
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks Erik! That’s what I keep hearing. My plan is to use them to hunt and interlocks to practice.

HOWEVER. Those interlocks aren’t on sale, they’re on clearance. I just ordered 200 more and am ordering more tomorrow. I just called Hornady and as of 1-1-18, that bullet is discontinued.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's not good news.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
These were listed as discontinued a couple years ago and that’s one reason I never picked them up. Always heard good things about them though. I just use the 200 Hot Cor when looking for a similar style bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Capn
Thanks Erik! That’s what I keep hearing. My plan is to use them to hunt and interlocks to practice.

HOWEVER. Those interlocks aren’t on sale, they’re on clearance. I just ordered 200 more and am ordering more tomorrow. I just called Hornady and as of 1-1-18, that bullet is discontinued.

I haven't liked the direction Hornady has been going for a long time they discontinuing a lot of good bullets. Pretty soon they will only have tipped bullets for everything, problem is a lot of those are far too soft for my liking. Going to be buying a lot more Speer and Sierra from now on.

Last edited by gerry35; 02/07/18.

Gerry.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
It’ll depend on how well they shoot. I have a small supply on the way. It should allow hunting for a while with that bullet if it works well. I’m still wanting to try the woodleigh. If I’m not mistaken, that leaves Hornady with only tipped bullets up to 225gr. And I think they’re too soft for me too. The Speer should be fine though.

I wish Speer/atk would sell the 185 sp they loaded in American eagle as a component bullet. And I was super disappointed that the 215 sierra was so hard. This is federal only rifle caliber. Get on it atk. How bout a 210TBBC?

IC B2

G
G46 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
ATK probably doesn't want to field the Speer 185 because, sure as a dumba$$ will be a Dumba$$, somebody is going to stoke one into a 340 WHBY, or a 338RUM and then bad mouth the bullet because it blew up on an elk shoulder at 45yds. I'm personally satisfied with the current offering from Nosler & Barnes, & the Speer 200 Hotcore. The weight range may be a bit narrow by common standards, but then again, within that range there is an outstandingly solid choice of excellent bullets.

"Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. James Mathis, USMC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So it looks pretty obvious with 51 pages of info here on the 338 Federal that it must be a pretty decent round for deer sized game and up.

Well I have been fighting it off for years, I think the 338 Federal Bug has finally got me in my older years. I've hunted and killed deer with mainly 30.06, 7MM Magnum 300 Win Mag, and killed a bunch with a .50 Caliber muzzleloader. Out of all the deer I have killed that slow .50 caliber muzzleloader has been as or more efficient as those other rounds as far as one shot and DRT. Never, ever have I lost a single deer that I hit with that muzzleloader.
I have witnessed that a bigger caliber bullet traveling at lower velocity than those other fast calibers kills just as good. So I have started looking at a short to medium range Deer thumper in a bolt action rifle. From what I have read it appears that the 338 Federal might just fill that slot. The biggest percentage of my Deer kills has been at 75 yards or less, the majority being probably 50 yards or less. I want to find an effective cartridge that will knock them down with authority. On my Deer lease there is a creek and I hunt within 50 yards of that creek. I have taken a few Deer in that area and luckily those deer that ran after being shot never went down hill to the creek. On the other side of the creek is another persons property, so you know what that involves if a deer runs over there. However my brother in law has shot 3 different bucks that either went across the creek or landed dead in the creek. So what I am getting at is, I want a hunting cartridge that will put those deer down quick if I do my job with shot placement.

If you guys have any pros or cons let me know, any input will be greatly appreciated.

NEVER GIVE UP
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve only shot 10 animals, ranging from a hog to a few bull elk, but I don’t think anything has ever gone over 50 yards. Never had a critter go out of sight, and 9 of those were with those slow killing Barnes TTSXs (sarcasm alert). All but one were heart/lung shots.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Finally drew a bison tag (cow) so will be giving the 338 Fed a chance to see how it works out. Minimum required bullet weight is 200 gr. Looking back over this thread i'm trying to decide what bullets/load to use. Any thoughts on the 200 hot core vs the 200 Woodleigh and 210 partition on penetration? I was also able to pick up a bunch of 200 fusions on sale so that is a possibility but I don't have any experience with those on any thick skinned game. I'm thinking they are more of a white tail bullet.

Last edited by peaceman; 02/22/18.
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
A free range Bison Hunt is a bucket list item!! Congrats!!

I think the 200 Woodleigh would be perfect. Hot Cor would probably be fine, and certainly a 210 Partition would work. I’d add 200 Accubond or it 200 E-Tip as viable options.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by prm
A free range Bison Hunt is a bucket list item!! Congrats!!

I think the 200 Woodleigh would be perfect. Hot Cor would probably be fine, and certainly a 210 Partition would work. I’d add 200 Accubond or it 200 E-Tip as viable options.

I hope I have pictures to show. I didn't mention its my 10 year old that will be the shooter, not me. Since he's a little guy, I am thinking about getting the new Savage MSR in 338 Fed to cut back on recoil and to give him a faster follow up shot.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mercy this is a 10 year long thread. Lots to read and try to decipher. What is a good load for the Barnes 185. Going to Africa next year and just started working on a load.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by BIGR
So it looks pretty obvious with 51 pages of info here on the 338 Federal that it must be a pretty decent round for deer sized game and up.

Well I have been fighting it off for years, I think the 338 Federal Bug has finally got me in my older years. I've hunted and killed deer with mainly 30.06, 7MM Magnum 300 Win Mag, and killed a bunch with a .50 Caliber muzzleloader. Out of all the deer I have killed that slow .50 caliber muzzleloader has been as or more efficient as those other rounds as far as one shot and DRT. Never, ever have I lost a single deer that I hit with that muzzleloader.
I have witnessed that a bigger caliber bullet traveling at lower velocity than those other fast calibers kills just as good. So I have started looking at a short to medium range Deer thumper in a bolt action rifle. From what I have read it appears that the 338 Federal might just fill that slot. The biggest percentage of my Deer kills has been at 75 yards or less, the majority being probably 50 yards or less. I want to find an effective cartridge that will knock them down with authority. On my Deer lease there is a creek and I hunt within 50 yards of that creek. I have taken a few Deer in that area and luckily those deer that ran after being shot never went down hill to the creek. On the other side of the creek is another persons property, so you know what that involves if a deer runs over there. However my brother in law has shot 3 different bucks that either went across the creek or landed dead in the creek. So what I am getting at is, I want a hunting cartridge that will put those deer down quick if I do my job with shot placement.

If you guys have any pros or cons let me know, any input will be greatly appreciated.

I have shot a few with my 338 Federal and they have ALL dropped in their tracks. Of course they were 75 yds away too but still, it will hammer them. Working on an Africa hunt now and I want to take it when I go.

Last edited by WM5L; 02/27/18.
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
For Africa, where temps are not much of an issue, AA2230 would give the best velocity, TAC has proven to be very accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used the 210gr on deer, hogs and a bull moose. Nothing went very far. The moose took about 15 step and fell over. Bullet was recovered on the opposite side skin. Tight quartering away shot. 210 gr partition is itnas far as I am concerned. 👍

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WM5L
Mercy this is a 10 year long thread. Lots to read and try to decipher. What is a good load for the Barnes 185. Going to Africa next year and just started working on a load.

Try +or- 46 gr IMR 8208 with the 185 tsx I had good luck with that combo. I have been running PRM's 52gr AA2230 with the 160's of late accuracy has been stellar. The 210 NPT and the 210 Swift Sirocco have been really good with Leverlution. I could not get Ramshot TAC to shoot that well but it is at the upper end of the velocity performers in 338F and a good one to try.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Last edited by scottishkat; 02/28/18.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by prm
For Africa, where temps are not much of an issue, AA2230 would give the best velocity, TAC has proven to be very accurate.

I bought a pound of that and loaded a few 185s and 210 Barnes. I will try them Tomorrow.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by JoshK
I have used the 210gr on deer, hogs and a bull moose. Nothing went very far. The moose took about 15 step and fell over. Bullet was recovered on the opposite side skin. Tight quartering away shot. 210 gr partition is itnas far as I am concerned. 👍

I have some factory loaded 210 partitions and they are awful in my gun. I'm talking 2-3" groups at 100. I did try some of the Fusion 185s and they were barley 1" at 100. I was always told the Sakos were real shooters. So far this one is not BUT I am not giving up on it. It is a super nice looking gun. I want it to shoot a 210gr partition so bad! I am going to try the Barns 210 along with the 185 tomorrow. I used RL-15 and some of the new IMR 4166 as well as some AA2230. Someone mentioned temp and 2230 I can only assume it is not temp stable?

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
AA2230 is a typical ball powder.

Leverevolution or MR2000 work well with the Partition

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Both the 160 & 185 Ttsx shoot well out of my rifle. My current 185 load is 47 gr. 8208 XBR, starline brass, WLR primer, set to .05” jump. Accuracy is outstanding in my rifle. At this time I’m planning on using this combination for an upcoming moose hunt. I have faith that the 185 ttsx out of the 338 federal is a good choice for moose size critters.

Page 26 of 36 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 240NMC, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.