Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guys,<BR>I have a problem. What do you guys think about hunting elk with graphite arrows and mechanical broadheads. I intend to draw a elk tag for once so I hope I can beat the odds by putting in for archery. what do you think of my set up as far as arrows and broadheads go. I shoot an older Golden eagle bow set at 70 pounds and has 65% let- off, and it has an overdraw. my arrows ar about 27 inches long. Can anybody give me any advise?

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Young Buck, I have killed an Elk with a bow set at 65 pounds using standard broadheads. Complete pass through on one and the second was all the way through but the broadhead did not penetrate the skin on the far side. The set up you are proposing should work just fine. Just get close, pick you spot and let her fly. Good luck. Bow hunting is for elk is both the hardest and at the same time the most rewarding hunts I have ever made. Traveling Man

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
86, I would not use mechanical broadheads. From what I've heard there performance is lacking, use Muzzy's or Thuderheads. Carbons will work just fine, I've killed plenty with them. Your older Golden Eagle is one of my personal favorites, I think they were made better back then; they were quiter, less picky about what they shot and easier to tune.<P>Now go out and stick a big one this fall (assuming you get the tag).

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I will agree. Get a good fixed blade. As far as your arrows, how heavy are your arrows per pound of draw weight. A little mass is more important than the speed on big animals.

<A HREF="http://thesouthern" TARGET=_blank>http://thesouthern</A> outdoorsman.com
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
How heavy are your arrows and what grain point are you planning on using? Match everything up and there should be no problems.

<A HREF="http://thesouthern" TARGET=_blank>http://thesouthern</A> outdoorsman.com
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
86, I use carbon-graphite arrows for whitetails with 100 grain Muzzy fixed blades. I would shoot the same rig for elk. <P>The arrows perform well, as do the broadheads. Passthroughs on rib cage shots. I understand why mechanicals may be better, but I sure wouldn't experiment on elk! I would go with what I know, and that fixed blade will install double portholes in'em. I do like short range shots, by the way.<P>Get your feathers red, Talus

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
talus,<BR>thanks for the info, I don't like close shots either, I shoot better at long range. so I guess everyone agrees on fixed blades, is there anyone who don't? Thanks guys any other info you have lay it on me.<BR>86

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 68 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,759
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.