Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Pat, Is there anything out there that I can cover my muzzlebreak threads to not damage them when I take off my break. I wanted to take off my muzzlebreak last year in Alaska, but was worried about destroying the threads, change inpact point and so on. So this year I want to develope a load for my gun without the break. Can you help? -t.h.

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Stepping on Pat's toes a bit, but I make a threaded cap at the time I install the brake. I have used all of the manufactured brakes, plus I make one of my own design for the big diameter barrels and the big bore rifles. I knurl the outside of the cap to provide a bit of finger grip for installing/removing. So, go back to whom ever installed the brake and have a cap made. Some brake manufacturers make a cap as an option, but this is thread size and pitch specific, you may be able to buy one, but be careful, the threads on your barrel may be a bit snug. This is why both the brake and cap should be fitted to the barrel at the same time.<P>And on light barrels, you may have a point of impact change, so be sure to test fire with the cap.<P>------------------<BR> [img]http://photomail.photoworks.com/scr...dWGOQAPHbXDcb&P2=0&P3=0&P4=1[/img] <BR>"Targeting Precision" from Washington's Olympic Peninsula<BR>starolypen.com<p>[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited February 06, 2001).]

From Real Sasquatch Country: I Seen 'em!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
John, Thanks for the reply. I have a Weatherby 338-378 that came with a break, but I have no cap. Does this help. I really don't want to send my gun back to Weatherby to have one fit, but will if I have too. -t.h.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hi Mark: I will chime in also. The one Pat did for me (Answer Products) came with a threaded cap just like you are asking for. It will slightly change POI at least in my gun to have the brake removed. Not a lot, but enough to make a differance.<P>tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Tex., Thanks bud! Maybe I should consider getting a better break too. That one I have is a firecracker...er...I mean TNT. I think I still hear the ringing from last year. -t.h.

IC B2

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TH,<BR>If you have a factory brake on you wby,it should be no problem.several aftermarket brakes out there are already cut for that pattern,and some offer ready made thread protectors.Vais,and Levang used to,but I cannot say for sure now,as we have pretty much forsaken all but the Answer system on account of the effectiveness of the thing.<BR>If I remember,I'll do some digging and see what I can scratch up.<BR>Cheers!!!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.