Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Some years ago I bought a new in the box 30-30 trapper from a friend.Loved the way it looked and felt.Never fired it.Another friend offered me more than I paid for it so I sold it to him.Regretted it later.
Christmas eve I was in my local gun emporium and saw and purchased an absolute new looking Trapper 30-30 as my Christmas present to myself.I can guarantee this one is not going anywhere.
Only thing I don't like is the stupid cross bolt safety.I rekon my gunsmith is going to have to remove that thing.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Trappers are a lot of fun. Before you pull the safety place an o-ring on the left side. The o-ring helps to prevent inadvertent activation of the safety.
There are two �fixes� I have seen on the internet for the safety � the safety is easy to remove � use a paper clip to depress the ball detent and slid it out. The problem is covering the divot on the right side of the receiver. The �fixes� vary from coins soldered into the hole to a replacement for the safety with cone shaped filler for the hole. The problem with this second �fix� is the new cross bolt and filler still must be removed to pull the sliding bolt.

Last edited by william_iorg; 12/26/09.

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by william_iorg
The Trappers are a lot of fun. Before you pull the safety place an o-ring on the left side. The o-ring helps to prevent inadvertent activation of the safety.
There are two �fixes� I have seen on the internet for the safety � the safety is easy to remove � use a paper clip to depress the ball detent and slid it out. The problem is covering the divot on the right side of the receiver. The �fixes� vary from coins soldered into the hole to a replacement for the safety with cone shaped filler for the hole. The problem with this second �fix� is the new cross bolt and filler still must be removed to pull the sliding bolt.

William, Do you know who makes the cone shaped filler for the safety divot hole in the receiver? I would like to do that to my Win 444 Timber rifle, as I love the rifle except for that godawful divot! Thank you.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
William,thanks for the removal tip.I saw one that had a shell base super glued in the divot.Looked good.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont believe it is made for sale. I believe there was a long thread with pictures on Paco Kelly's Leverguns.

Slim
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes,it was on Paco's and I believe it was in the "one" sticky.

Stan in SC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tastes vary, but I don't find the cross bolt safety nearly as repugnant as the tang one that replaced it. The Williams receiver sight on my AE helps prevent the cross bolt one from being activated or seen. Nothing can help that tang one. I still prefer the older rifles with neither the most.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stan, Thanks, I coudnt remember where it was...

Youper, I just live with it too. The Williams sight and the o-ring are the easiest fix.

Here are two links for fixes. There are at least three more.

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org/how_to/94_crossbolt_adios.html

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org/how_to/94_centenial_x-bolt.html

Ok, now just one more to find...

Chuck Hawks and L.F. Combs had a cheap �fix.�

http://www.hobbygunsmith.com/Archives/May04/Interview.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/LFCombs-Win94.htm

Slim
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
'

I just leave it. It's part of the gun, a feature that I don't like but it is handy for loading and unloading safely. If I disable the safety I cannot sell the gun until I restore it to original. So I just live with it.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
JBLEDSOE,very sage advice.I think I will just try to accustom myself to it at this point.
William iorg,the o-ring is a good idea also.
I sincerely appreciate all of your comments.Range time up and coming.

Stan in SC

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good find on the trapper.

I am not a big lever guy; I am a bolt guy, but I do like lightweight rifles and carbines. I am looking to buy a trapper, youth, or some lightweight model Winchester 94 with the tang safety for a youth hunter. I like the safeties. When the youth is old enough to carry the rifle in the woods I like the insurance. I found a Ranger 94 3030 with a 20 inch barrel and full sized stock, but I will trade it for a tang model in the variation I want. I would also prefer a 44, 357, or 35 but the 3030 is good too. What is nice is that these rifles are in calibers that are mild to shoot and can be shot left or right handed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

WPAH, look for a Marlin 1894C, the 357 model. Great fun and it doesn't abuse the shooter with recoil.

T
T
Just leave it. If you don't want it on, push it to the off position and forget about it. I have never really had a problem with mine.It's a safety, maybe that's a good idea.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
taipan1,yes I am coming to the same conclusion.As much as I don't like the look I think I will just ignore it.

Stan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

WPAH, look for a Marlin 1894C, the 357 model. Great fun and it doesn't abuse the shooter with recoil.

I will second that recommendation.

B
B
I am looking for a Browning B92 in .357 magnum.

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Personally, I never grew up with safeties, but I realize that they are here to stay. I haven't changed my opinions of them, which are basically negative.
A big problem with safeties of any type is relying on them, rather than on skill. Safeties can lull one into a false sense of security, or even a lack of respect for the power of the firearm. Any mechanical device is as prone to mishap as the human who designed and built it, and thus the idea that safeties make a firearm safer and the more the merrier is at best an illusion. I suppose we can't be surprised that we have to deal with all this, since they have all been mandated by politicians and lawyers, two groups of people who find it impossible to analyze a problem and craft a simple solution.
That said, I second J.B.'s comments regarding them, besides, a nice thing about the cross bolt is you can use it-or not. If you leave it off, your gun will work just fine. Speaking personally, I find the cross bolt impossible to take a quick peek at to find out if it is engaged or not, so I make a habit of leaving the safety off.
Regarding the new tang unit, unless you mount a tang sight, its a simple glance to tell yourself if its engaged, and that alone makes it a better idea, IMHO.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somewhere I have a 94 Trapper in 44 Mag. It was a very cool rifle but haven't seen it in years. It is so short I must have it hidden in my safe somewhere. Gonna have to go on a search and rescue mission on the thing. If I remember correctly it had hardwood stocks, not Walnut and a saddle ring on the left side of the receiver. Pretty handy. HHMMM....

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Bet it has walnut stocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
113 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.