Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I wouldn't fool w/ the M96. Some were very nicely finished, very slick. Trouble primarily is in the design - the third safety lug of the M98 is missing from the 96, and that's a big deal to me. Further, some of these actions were a bit soft. The cock on closing feature can be changed, if you don't like it.

If you do go ahead w/ it, I wouldn't want to have pressures go over 45,000 psi or so, and that may be high.

GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GF1
I wouldn't fool w/ the M96. Some were very nicely finished, very slick. Trouble primarily is in the design - the third safety lug of the M98 is missing from the 96, and that's a big deal to me. Further, some of these actions were a bit soft. The cock on closing feature can be changed, if you don't like it.

If you do go ahead w/ it, I wouldn't want to have pressures go over 45,000 psi or so, and that may be high.

I think you are mixing up the Swede 96 with another action.

Swede 96 rifles and actions are as common as dirt here in Sweden and I have never heard of one that set back even after rebarelling to an inappropriate calibre operating at higher pressure (nor is there any mention of soft Swede 96's in Kuhnhausen book or any of my other rifle books). Quality control was always high.

However, you are indeed correct about the lack of the safety lug. I happily shoot these rifles in 6.5 x 55, 9.3 x 57 and 9.3 x 62, but would not spend money turning this action into a custom rifle. There are better choices like the Mauser 98 you mention.

John

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
John, while I've not Rockwell tested any of them, my information comes from gunsmiths I trust...you may have more definitive knowledge than I do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are 96's, and then there are 96's. I have a Husqvarna 46 sporter (a 96 action), and from what I've read -- as stated by John -- any reasonable cartridge can be used in them. If Husqvarna saw fit to build 46's in 9.3x62, I am quite certain they knew that it was just fine at any standard pressure.

And I definitely trust whatever John says.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the reasons the 96 got a reputation as a "45,000" action is that Jack O'Connor sometimes wrote about them, and said that was the case. His "evidence" was that 6.5x55 ammo was loaded to 45,000 CUP--but that was only in the U.S., not in Europe.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I must also comment that in several decades of fooling with various Mauser actions I have yet to see a 98 where the two front locking lugs let go, which is the only instance where the 3rd lug would do any good. In fact I have yet to see a 93, 94 or 96 where the two front lugs let go, or even one of them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My reservations of having a Husqvarna M-96 in 9.3x62 is not that I think the action won't handle it. It is precipated by the fact that folks tend to hot-rod them.

I'd personally have no qualms with a M-96 in 9.3x62, but can't in good consicence recommend it as a vialble option! But then, I am a more sensible reloader that some others that I know. I personally don't feel any need to push the envelope. If I need more gun, I almost always have something bigger.

On the subject of magnum chamberings in the M-96, I have a buddy who claims he once saw one rechambered to .264 Win. Mag.... - Certainly not something I'd do. frown

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Happy Birthday Grasshopper

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You and I have different perspectives on the practical value of the 3rd locking lug. It is a big deal to you and of no concern to me. OTOH, the small gas shield on the pre-1898s is a concern to me, so on my Swedish Mauser rebuilts I usually install a commercial-style bolt shroud with a larger gas shield, along with a Bold or Timney trigger that features a safety, and a Dayton-Traister cock-on-opening kit. I've owned at least a dozen sporterized Swedish military rifle, factory built Husqvarna sporters, and custom sporters built on the Swedish actions without experiencing even the slightest hint of a pressure problem.

Swedish Mausers were built to very high standards in terms of both workmanship and materials. Since Sweden wasn't involved in either World War, these rifles were never built under war-time conditions, with the commonly associated QC short cuts.

Jeff

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I believe the 96 Swede is stronger than most 98's, the bolt lugs are the same size on both and the 96 is made of much stronger steel.

Most 98 Mauser drill like butter after you are through the case, 96's drill like chrome moly.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm sure there are many here who have at least as much practical experience as I but I'll throw my two bits in anyway.
The 96 action is strong enough as far as locking lugs and seats are concerned and it is made of good steel properly heat treated. However, many Swedish mausers are damaged (and many of them, during factory re-conditioning)when barrels are removed/replaced. The small ring receiver is quite thin on the right (extractor) side. Consequently, receivers are often squashed by outside wrenches or split by inside wrenches. In addition, there seem to exist, in Sweden, some of the sorriest jackleg gunsmiths you'll find! This is why you will see so many recently imported with scope mount screw holes in the wrong place, multiple screw locations, ugly bolt handles, etc. etc.
So, while I think the 96 action is likely just fine for the 9.3x62, it pays to be careful in the selection of your action.
For those gunsmiths who might be disassembling one for the first time, the barrels are often VERY tightly installed. The use of an out side wrench is best. In fact, I won't use an inside wrench on one at all. Before clamping the outside wrench on, insert a close fitting mandrel to support the receiver ring so as to avoid squashing it.
I recall looking at one 96 which had come apart with a factory load. This action's receiver ring was plainly split right at the top of the right locking lug raceway. This was a re-conditioned rifle and there was evidence that the barrel threads were a bit large and forced in. I suspected this stressed the action, causing an internal crack. There was evidence that oil had penetrated into the crack, so it had been there for a while. A couple of other actions I saw were actions only and also showed cracks in the same location. I assumed they had been damaged by barrel removal but it may also have been from radial stress from excessively tight barrel threads.
Re the third/safety lug. It is possible and in fact, a reasonable idea, to provide a safety lug via the root of the bolt handle when the handle is altered for scope mounting.
The bottom line? The action is inherently fine but like all surplus actions, should be inspected carefully prior to use. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I snagged the one off of gunbroker and look forward to running it for a long and happy life. My thought was that I have dies and brass already and I can easily load it to 9.3x57 velocities, which is my plan. I'm thinking moderate loads loads with cheap round nose bullets should make a nice easy packing thumper. Looked into a x57 but brass is spendy.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi,

I agree about the suitability of the M96 Swedish action, either German or Swedish manufacture.
And about the two front lugs, actually the left/upper locking lug is LONGER in any of the 91 to 96 Mauser actions than in the M98. And a 3rd or safety lug can be made when forging or soldering the bolt handle for scope clearing. If does low enough it can be made to enter in a corresponding recess made in the right side and just behind the rear bridge. But I also agree it is of no use anyway.

Regards,

PH

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,149 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.