Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A local gun shop has an S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman 4 inch .357 for sale, and even though I already own a Model 28 6-inch, I'm thinking about picking it up. I'm not very knowledgeable about S&W revolvers, so I'm not sure how reasonably priced this one might be.

The dealer is asking $470.00. The revolver shows signs of having been carried - small areas of bluing wear on the barrel at the muzzle and the leading edge of the cylinder; and a spot about 2/3 the diameter of a dime on the right sideplate where there are a number of scratches through the blue, probably from a holster snap. The front sight has had white paint(?) applied, but it's flaking and I think I could remove it fairly easily. There are not many signs of the gun's having been shot - very light cylinder turn line, tight lockup, virtually perfect case coloring on the hammer and trigger. The grips are the oversized (target?) style, with the open backstrap but covering the front strap and filling a bit of the area behind the trigger guard. The grips are almost mint, probably indicating that they were not on the revolver when it was in regular use.

So, what say you who know more about these than I? Should I go back at lunchtime on Monday and try to buy it and, if so, what would be a fair price?

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MODEL 28 HIGHWAY PATROLMAN
- .357 Mag. cal., "Highway Patrol" utility model, dull blue or brushed nickel (very rare) finish, adj. sights, standard grips, blue only, 4 or 6 in. barrel. Mfg. 1954-1986.
Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
1954-1957 mfg. $850 $775 $700 $575 $450 $325 $225
1957-1986 mfg. $495 $400 $350 $300 $275 $250 $225
Last MSR was $306.
Add $20 for TS.
Add 30% for 5 screw variation (pre-Model 28).
Add 300% for brushed nickel finish (beware of fakes).
There were 3 engineering changes to this model.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Mr. Lee:

Thanks very much. That's exactly the information I was seeking.

Rem

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Remington40x
A local gun shop has an S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman 4 inch .357 for sale, and even though I already own a Model 28 6-inch, I'm thinking about picking it up. I'm not very knowledgeable about S&W revolvers, so I'm not sure how reasonably priced this one might be.

The dealer is asking $470.00. The revolver shows signs of having been carried - small areas of bluing wear on the barrel at the muzzle and the leading edge of the cylinder; and a spot about 2/3 the diameter of a dime on the right sideplate where there are a number of scratches through the blue, probably from a holster snap. The front sight has had white paint(?) applied, but it's flaking and I think I could remove it fairly easily. There are not many signs of the gun's having been shot - very light cylinder turn line, tight lockup, virtually perfect case coloring on the hammer and trigger. The grips are the oversized (target?) style, with the open backstrap but covering the front strap and filling a bit of the area behind the trigger guard. The grips are almost mint, probably indicating that they were not on the revolver when it was in regular use.

So, what say you who know more about these than I? Should I go back at lunchtime on Monday and try to buy it and, if so, what would be a fair price?

Thanks.
The Highway Patrolman is a sweet shooting revolver. Load it as hot as you like, and it's so heavy it feels like shooting a .38. That price is not so bad, but offer him less and see what happens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prices are kinda low, compared to model 19's and 66's etc as they are , as you know, VERY big and heavy for this caliber. Fun to own and shoot but not to carry. $470.00 is not too bad, about right for the condition.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It's a very good model and shootable in .357 without stretching the farme. Mine is a -2 model, and I wouldn't take the asking price of the one you're looking at for mine.

It's a defensive gun, and better suited for that than the six inch. If I needed a heavy, good revolver, I'd go for it.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Smith Model 28 is one of the most underrated pistol Smith has produced. They are one fine pistol. Like the 4 inch never cared much about the 6 inch

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They're the poor man's Registered Magnum. Not as nice to look at, but shoots just as good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Model 27 with a welfare finish

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington40x

Thanks.

That was a $275 gun five years ago, and could be again nearly overnight. People are running out of money and the gun industry is going to see a huge glut very soon, if not already. That said, at today's prices, it's about where it should be. I'd offer $400 and see where it lead-unless I really wanted it. If I did, I'd just pay the man. Maybe see if he'll eat the taxes.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.