-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never found anything worth much but a buddy of mine found a Mastodon tooth in a creek bed.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NathanL
Black Draught was a powder like stuff that comes in little boxes about the size of an old snuff can. I have a box of it around here somewhere. It's one of those old things people took that cured everything like castor oil. I guess someone mixed some up to make a syrup.

[Linked Image]

I can remember them selling it in the stores. By then, it was a dark brown syrup and was used for stomach ailments. Grandma gave me some once, all I remember was it tasted awful! sick

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've found many of those Blue Bell Mason Jars, most in usable condition. I was going to use some of the big ones for pickles, eggs actually, but someone told me they used lead in the glass and the acid would etch it out.

I made my pickled eggs not with a beet, but with cheyenne pepper and a few small onions. I don't do that anymore, I kind of like having my wife around. Real good for a snack after pinto beans. And yes, I am being serious.

Last edited by crosshair; 01/10/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was moose hunting on the upper Selawik River in NW Alaska and found a Teletubbies mylar balloon hung up in the tundra. I spotted it flashing in the sunlight with my spotting scope and had to hike over and see what it was. Seemed odd to be out there. The Selawik River flows along the arctic circle.

On the same trip, I spotted a 50 gallon drum 1/2 submerged in a lake.... The drum was labeled "Avaiation Fuel US Fish and Wildlife Service". The lake was too small to land a plane on, and too far from the river to pack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wildlife
I was under the old Mississippi river bridge just out of Baton Rouge looking for metal fleur de lis that used to fall off the bridge and found a bunch of credit cards scattered about. I called the lady who owned them and she told me her kids had the windows down as she drove across the bridge and the bad one tossed them out. Found the cards, 3 fleur de lis and a wrench on that trip. Back in the 60s before the new bridge was built traffic would frequently come to a standstill on the bridge. It wasn't unusual to see people hop out of their cars and pry the fleur de lis off for souvenirs.

Had to google that one "fleur de lis" as I had never heard of it although I have seen it many times over the years.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the '60's I had a little secretary working in my office at the Florida National Group of Banks in Jacksonville,FL, she was from a small town in Southern Georgia. When she was growing up she said it was nothing for her to walk into the house from the back porch and have at least a dozen rattle snakes running loose on the porch. Her dad was in his seventies and he would go out and gather the snakes and sell them to research facilities and serpentariums for their venom. He said it was a good supplement to his income.

On one of his trips to Jacksonville to see his daughter he dropped by our office, while there told us a story of how he had found the crash site of a Flying Saucer and that he had turned the location of the site over to the authorities and that he had kept a piece of the wreckage. He said that he had had the piece of wreckage analyzed and that it's composition was of a process totally unknown to man.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the early 60s, while horseback riding in some pretty remote mountains near Highlands, NC, I came across a sign saying 'STOP Rail Road Crossing.' This was miles from the nearst railroad or any other type of road, other than the trail we were riding on.

It was a real sign. Someone went to a lot of trouble to take it down, carry it several miles into the mountains, and nail it to a tree.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Where I grew up Grandma Moses had lived on the mountain behind us. I used to follow the old road, then a logging trail, now a hunting lease and camp. I knew all the cellar holes, old wells, and of one cook stove in a cellar hole. Found a mason jar full of mold, still sealed in the woods, maybe a lost lunch? Across the road my father owned, now my sis's, and old barn, half house with plaster, that had been a home.

Last edited by corelokt; 01/10/10.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
There were some old 30's-40's cars in the river I fished as well.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lots of broken arrowheads and spear points North of Reno, NV.

When my son lived in Idaho he found an old miners stash. There was a gold pan, lantern and the barreled action from an old Marlin 30-30.

Last edited by Grizzly_Bill; 01/10/10.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B3

P
pod Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
as a young boy we hunted hares in a swamp on cape cod called red gate in the town of wareham ifound a p-51 aircraft covered in moss guns etc. still on board it had been missing since WW2. the grownups were entertained by the air force officials i went to school next day. that was my reward. lol

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In Wilcox Co Alabama about 10 miles or so off the Alabama River came up on 3 old graves with a rusted out wire around them. One headstone had a date in the 1780's but was weather worn. Couldn't make out the name. Had to be real frontier back then. On the same lease saw something shiny in the leaves along a creek I was following and it turned out to be the top of a Miller High Life can with two more under the leaves with it. From then on that was 3 Beers Creek.

On a dozier cut in Jefferson Co, Al on a ridge triangle between a big creek and a smaller one I started finding all kinds of flint flakes. Ended up finding a small clear quartz bird point about 3/4 x 1/2 and a smooth round slate stone that appears to be a palm guard for flaking (fits perfectly in the circle you can form with thumb and middle finger). Was turkey hunting at the time and hit it a couple of licks with a hickory striker. Actually made a good high pitch yelp but won't go so far as to call it a turkey call. Also found several chunks of raw red flint up to the size of my fist. All this was interspesed with several patches of charcoal. Since the dozier had dug down a couple of feet or so I had to speculate this was at least some sort of temporary Creek or Choctaw camp.

Last edited by shootem; 01/10/10.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I was hunting with one of uncles I kicked a small
trash pile that had been there for a long time and I found
a "Lucky Joe Bank" that resembled Joe Louis the boxer.
Actually they were mustard jars when you bought them and
a slot in the metal lid made it a coin bank. Of course
the lid was rusted away and I took it home and showed
it to my Grandma. She showed me one that she owned that
resembled Donald Duck. I have both of them now sitting on
my mantle as conversation pieces, and of course for loose
change.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Grandma in White Crik area. one could find Arrow heads --spear points along Hoosic and Owlkill of which I have found. Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Surefire 6P...new

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The owlkill is the one I fished. Never found any arrowheads.
We used to hide by the railroad tracks down from the eggfarm. When the big trucks would slow down we'd (Sister, Brother, Neighbor and I) chuck suckers in the cab windows. Was really funny to see the trucks swerving and fish flying out the windows.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A lot of real old cars and beer cans in the way middle of no where with no roads....
Figure that one out.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mr. CraigCollier,

Sorry, but I know exactly what I would do and have done. Return the money or anything else, that did not belong to me. Once returned a grocery bag with over $34,000 in it and I didn't have rent money. Gave the sack to Dallas Police. They gave me a receipt and said if the owner did not come forward--it was mine. Turned out that it belong to an eccentric old lady that carried all her money, with her in grocery sacks! Police said it amounted to over $100,000 in five grocery sacks that she carried, everywhere she went. She had a deep seated, mistrust of banks from a bad experience back in the 1920's. The lady gave me $3500 reward. Sure appreciated that, but never expected such.

Bottom line with me and I believe with most everyone on the Fire is---if it ain't mine, I don't want it.

Doubleagle

NRA Benefactor
Lifetime-Texas State Rifle Assoc.
Lifetime-American Motorcycle Assoc.
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once while hunting in a heavy snow storm, Me and my hunting partner found the tracks from 2 guys on snow shoe's, found out we were walking in a big cricle. so dose finding your self count

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.