Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Just finished reading Along the Hunter's Path by Kai-Uwe Denker, great read. This book expresses the ethics and passion of a true sportsman and could even to nonhunters evoke understanding of why we cherish the hunt.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Some of Sir Samuel Baker's writings are online at the University of Pennsylvania...well worth a read.

They don't make men like Sir Samuel any more.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Do you have a link for that? I'd love to check it out.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
Do you have a link for that? I'd love to check it out.

You bet.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Baker%2c%20Samuel%20White%2c%20Sir%2c%201821-1893

Read The Rifle and the Hound in Ceylon first. The language may be a bit rough for the Politically Correct, just have to deal with it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I love Boddington's white book (Safari Rifles) and Mellons book as well.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 01/13/10.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
"Pondoro" by John Taylor isn't a bad read.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
White Hunters by Brian Herne is a real interesting read....
For vintage Africana " Bell of Africa" by W.D.M. Bell is a fave....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Months of the Sun" Ian Nyshens

All of J. A. Hunters works

All of WDM Bell's works

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I read "Horn of the Hunter" by Robert Ruark pretty often. It has to be on the short list of African hunting books.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Peter Capstick's Death in the Long Grass is the book that sparked my interest in African hunting. Have read many other good ones by Ruark, Hunter, Boddington, etc..

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an extensive collection of older African hunting books. My favorites are some of the newer ones; Horn of the Hunter, most things by Peter Capstick and some of Boddington's stuff.

Kevin Haile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Add "African Rifles and Cartridges" by John "Pondoro" Taylor

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll second my friend Hatari's posts but to me Capstick's Death In The Long Grass is the signature book for me. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
All the books listed here are very good, though I must note that Boddington has an updated version of SAFARI RIFLES out.

My vote for the best recent book on African hunting is John Kingsley-Heath's HUNTING THE DANGEROUS GAME OF AFRICA. JKH was a professional hunter in Africa from the heyday of Kenya in the 1950's, and was also one of the primary hunters to open up Botswana. (He is still alive, by the way.) He not only PH'd professionally for several decades, in places that are now legendary, but he hunted in several other countries on his own where big game hunting is just about gone now, including Ethiopia. In addition he guided peole like Jack O'Connor, John Wootters and Bob Chatfield-Taylor, the inventor of the .416 Taylor.

The book is large format and several hundred pages long, with tons of photos. It's expensive (even when new it was around $100) and is somewhat hard to find, but it is well worth the money and search.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
All the books listed here are very good, though I must note that Boddington has an updated version of SAFARI RIFLES out.

My vote for the best recent book on African hunting is John Kingsley-Heath's HUNTING THE DANGEROUS GAME OF AFRICA. JKH was a professional hunter in Africa from the heyday of Kenya in the 1950's, and was also one of the primary hunters to open up Botswana. (He is still alive, by the way.) He not only PH'd professionally for several decades, in places that are now legendary, but he hunted in several other countries on his own where big game hunting is just about gone now, including Ethiopia. In addition he guided peole like Jack O'Connor, John Wootters and Bob Chatfield-Taylor, the inventor of the .416 Taylor.

The book is large format and several hundred pages long, with tons of photos. It's expensive (even when new it was around $100) and is somewhat hard to find, but it is well worth the money and search.

+1

I found this book the last time this topic came up. Absolutely stunning book on Africa hunting and adventure.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The trifecta of African classics that belong in every hunting library:

Horn of the Hunter by Ruark

Maneaters of the Tsavo by Patterson

African Game Trails by Teddy Roosevelt

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer - I second your choice of John Kingsley-Heath's book. I held off buying it for years because of the cost. Now that I have it, I'd say its worth every penny I paid for it.

Kevin Haile
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pretty good, isn't it? I also own and have read every other book mentioned so far on the thread, plus probably 100 others on African hunting, including other "big" books like Bartle Bull's SAFARI and Peter Beard's THE END OF THE GAME. I also hesitate to say anything is "best," but JKH's is right up there among the finest. Part of it is the long era it covers, which JKH knows so well, and he is also a damn fine writer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JB/Anyone: Does anyone know where to chase down a copy of JKH's book?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (7x57Hunter, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.