Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Into my local pawn/sport shop yesterday came a minty little Ruger pistol.
I fought off the urge to buy it for 36 hours - but today I had to have it.
The pistol is one I could and still can not find reference to in my collection of "Blue Books" and a couple of other reference books.
My questions are:
#1: When was it made?
#2: Whats its value (I paid $200.00 cash and got a nice holster with it)?
#3: Is it safe to dry fire this pistol with no "snap-caps" in place?
Now for the description: its a stainless steel single action revolver with wooden (Walnut) grips, adjustable sights, 6 1/2" barrel, the nomenclature on the pistols says "Ruger New Model 22 Cal. Single-Six"!
It is NOT a "Convertible" Model at all - which is puzzling to me as most of these were "convertibles" - weren't they?.
In fact the frame area around the cylinder is NOT long enough to have a 22 Magnum shell fit in this area - let alone an even longer 22 Magnum cylinder. So the pistol was specifically made just for 22 L.R.!
The serial number is 62-736XX.
It does have a "transfer bar" which would date it after 1973 - IF, I am reading the literature I found correctly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi,
I think at that cost you were obligated to buy the 22 no matter what.
Used average cost for a convertible ss would be $250-$300-ish. A little more where I now live in SoCal even for a blue model.
I didn't think they made a new model single six for 22 lr only except for the 22 Bisley and some more recent fixed sight models-but I don't know it all! Maybe for some special run they did this.... I do know they made a very few 4-5/8" stainless convertible models as well as a very few 9-1/2" bbl versions too.
Congrats on a good buy whether it is a convert or not.
Best-MC

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
VarmintGuy:

1. I don't know when, after 1973, your revolver was made.

2. In the Kansas City Metro Area, that used revolver would sell today for about $400. You got a bargain and everyone who reads this thread has an obligation to be envious of your good fortune.

3. I don't know whether a Ruger rimfire revolver can be safely dry-fired without a snap cap or empty cartridge case. I always used fired cartridge cases in mine when I dry-fired it.

Yes, most stainless steel Ruger New Model .22 Caliber Single-Six
Revolvers were Convertible Models with interchangeable .22 Long Rifle and .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum cylinders. When I bought mine in the mid-1970s, I was told that Ruger had made about 1,000 of those revolvers as .22 Long Rifle caliber only. I was also told that all such .22 Long Rifle revolvers had a small star or asterisk stamped on the bottom of the frame, just forward of the trigger guard. I don't recall that revolver's serial number, but it did have a 4 5/8 inch barrel and the frame sported that little asterisk. I sold the revolver in the mid-1980s, so my memory for relevant details is limited.

I don't remember the frame window's being too small for a .22 Magnum cylinder; its frame window seemed to be the same size as the frame window on each of its Convertible kin. I never thought to measure the frame window on my revolver. Of course that little Ruger .22 revolver shot more precisely than I could shoot then or can shoot now!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was interested in your statement that a .22 Magnum would not even fit in the frame window as I have one of the above mentioned "star" marked 4 5/8" stainless Single-Sixs that is a Long Rifle only gun....

Pulled the cylinder from a new Single-Six Hunter .22/.22 Magnum and the cylinder dropped right in the "star" marked gun...

You may want to ask over on the Ruger Forums...

Great buy on that gun...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
RJM: I measured my stainless 22 L.R. cylinder and it came to 1.401" "long"!
Then I measured a Winchester 22 WMR cartridge I have at my house and it came to 1.382"!
Or a difference of only 0.019".
Then I measured the case head recess in the 22 L.R. cylinder and it was 0.040" deep! So if this pistol had a 22 Magnum cylinder ever and the cylinder was 0.040" recessed the cylinder could NOT rotate as the bullets would be sticking out the end of the cylinder and they would come in contact with the barrel before it would be aligned with the bore - would they not?
The cartridge I used at the store for comparison was a "polymer-tipped" 22 WRM cartridge and it was longer - I am sure - than the cartridge I have at home which has a hollow-point flat tipped bullet.
Thank you for the insight and tip on the Ruger Forum, Bob!
Could I trouble you to measure the cylinder on your "starred" pistol?
My frame has no star that I can find?
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
TwentyTwo: I searched for an asterisk everywhere I could see but none was found on my pistol.
I very much appreciate your insights.
I even found a passage in the Single Action New Models section, that I had missed previously - its in one of my Blue Books.
Its as follows: "During certain years of the New Model manufacture, Rugers' changes in production on certain models (calibers, barrel markings, barrel lengths etc) have created RARE variations that are now considered "premium niches". These areas of low manufacture will add premiums to the values listed on standard models.
Thanks again for the insights and information.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Runnimike: This pistol has very nice ADJUSTABLE sights on it.
It is definitely not of Bisley design that I can discern.
By the way the sights are pure black - both the front and rear sights.
This pistol does have the "transfer bar" and that is what ages it in my un-learned mind at or after 1973 - I have seen several references in Ruger information as when this change occurred.
No warning on the barrel just: STURM RUGER & CO. INC. - SOUTHPORT, CONN. U.S.A.
Thanks again for the help.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have dry fired all my ruger revolvers extensively and have never ever encountered a problem. I believe some .22lr rifles may have issues with extensive dry firing.

I wouldn't make it a practice to simply sit there and dry fire thousands of times, but to orient yourself with the trigger pull and practice some dry firing, I can't believe you would experience a problem with a Ruger revolver.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
VG, Ruger did (and still does) modify Old Model revolvers to use a transfer bar system. They do it for free, and return all the original parts so the gun can be returned to original condition for collectors.

So it is possible you have a converted Old Model - without the parts bag. The key is whether it has two pins or three screws in the frame. Three screws (heads on the right side) makes it an OM, converted.

Edit to add: My converted OM's cylinders (both) are 1.404"

Last edited by RockyRaab; 01/10/10.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

, the nomenclature on the pistols says "Ruger New Model 22 Cal. Single-Six"!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Dan_Chamberlain: Thank you very much for the insights on dry firing the Ruger Single Six.
I have been looking for 22 L.R. snap caps for a year now.
I have just one left from a batch I bought about 20 years ago and its about used up.
Yeah I need just a hundred or so dry fires and I can "memory lock" what I need.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
RockyRaab: Thank you very much for that explanation and my pistol has "two pins" in the frame - so it is probably a New Model.
Is your pistol with the cylinder that measures 1.404" in caliber 22 L.R. or 22 Magnum?
Thank you very much and Happy New Year to you and yours!
Hold into the wind
VrmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine has both cylinders, VG. They both measure 1.404" with both having rebated rims. The .22LR also has a annular channel (ring) running through all six chamber ends. That is possibly to help distinguish them from one another, even when they are in the gun.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
RockyRaab: Received - thank you very much for the info!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Pistoleros: I think I have it figured out?
I kept digging and asking and looking and talking and I found a friend with the exact same pistol - well almost the same.
We met in town this morning to compare pistols.
Mine has a lower serial number.
Anyway our pistols are exact in every respect except my cyclinder has a different design/manufacturing around the case head/rim "holding" area cut out in the cylinder!
His pistol allows for "dents" to be made when dry firing around the cylinders raised rim area.
My pistols shows no impact marks in this area - like my friends does.
The 22 Magnum cylinder of my friends pistol will fit in MY pistol!
And the 22 Magnum cartridges fill the cylinder right to the max length of HIS cylinder.
The markings on the barrel and on the frame are exactly the same on my pistol as they are on my friends stainless "convertible" pistol (22 L.R. & 22 Magnum).
I think maybe I just purchased a New Model stainless Single Six 22 pistol that the previous owner might have lost the 22 Magnum cylinder for!!!
And thats kind of a shame if that happened - I probably would not have used the 22 Magnum cylinder much myself as I have a S&W Model 647 in caliber 17 HMR.
So one of the questions that was answered by seeing my friends pistol is that the marking on my pistol "22 Cal." refers to BOTH the 22 L.R. and the 22 Magnum as his has this same marking!
I had wrongly assumed that the "22 Cal." refered to 22 L.R. only - it doesn't.
And another mistake I made was "eyeballing" the 22 Magnum ammo alongside my cylinder/frame and deciding they would not fit in the frame cut out!
They will fit in the frame BUT they would not fit in the 22 Magnum cylinder IF it has the same method of being rebated or milled down about .040" like my 22 L.R. cylinder IS.
I am still a bit puzzled but I am very happy with the pistol so far anyway.
I tried two brands of ammunition in it yesterday and made several 6 shot groups at 20 yards with both types that measured 1.5" to 1.7" (off of sandbags!).
This will be perfect for my Gopher shooting duties I have planned in the spring.
Once I was done shooting for group and getting the adjustable sights set up for MY particular 6 oclock hold I began shooting Clay Pigeons!
Man that was fun.
Someone had left about 10 clay pigeons lying in the snow and I set them up and began shooting them offhand - I usually hit the Clay Pigeons with one or two shots (from 15 yards or so) and they shattered into 5 or six pieces.
I ran out of hollow point ammo and still had one clay Pigeon left, so I loaded the cylinder with Eley target ammo and stood back behind the bench at 22 yards and took careful aim (two handed) and touched one off - the bullet struck the Clay Pigeon dead center and just put a hole through it - not shattering the bird at all.
I saved the Clay Pigeon to show my friend - he laughed at it later.
This pistol has a wonderful, crisp and light trigger pull and the sights show themselves distinctly for my eyes.
I really enjoyed shooting it and cleaning only took a few minutes.
The stainless cylinder and frame do get coated with powder residue to a noticeable extent. I fired about 60 shots in all.
I don't think I will need to "dry fire" it at all anymore - so no worries there.
I wonder how much a new 22 Magnum cylinder would cost to be fitted to my pistol - prohibitive I suspect?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If I read it correctly, your SS was made in 1974:
http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-NMSSix.html

You might be able to find a cylinder for it. I've heard of many folks getting lucky. Also, you might want to ask the shop to see if they knew where they got it...or if the cylinder is there...it might be in a red cloth bag.

Aqualung

Last edited by Aqualung; 01/14/10. Reason: fixed tags and added info

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
here's a cylinder blued for cheap (not mine)
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54679

Last edited by nimrod1949; 01/14/10.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Aqualung: I will do that very thing bright and early tomorrow morning!
Thank you!
And thank you for the link and the date of manufacture!
It IS very much appreciated. I am saving that link for future reference.
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about the cylinder but apparently you got it all straightened out.

I am not sure if back in the 1970s all Single-Sixs shipped with two cylinders or not.. As to where to find them, try www.gunbroker.com and just put in ruger cylinder in the search box...the stainless ones come up once in a while. Call Ruger and maybe they will fit one for you.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Nimrod1949: That link shows the extra cylinder to now be available for $40.00!
That is so cheap its almost worth the risk - a gamble so to speak to see if it fits/functions.
It is blued but thats OK.
Thank you and I am going to do some more detective work to see if the cylinders need be fitted/timed/sized or what ever to each individual arm.
Thanks to you also.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 81 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.