Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I have a new Winchester model 70 featherweight with accuracy issues that I have been unable to figure out. I have about 120 rounds through it at this point.

The problem is that it will group well sometimes and not others. Typically it will go like this. The first three rounds from a cold barrel will give a group of about 3" at a hundred yards. After letting the barrel cool, the next group will often approach 1 1/2" The third group from a cold barrel will open back up to about 4 or 5 inches.

I have switched bullets and powder, checked the scope mounts for tightness and then remounted the scope even though it was tight. The scope was placed on a 300 weatherby and it dialed in and held zero. Back on the Winchester I got the same sporatic results as before. The barrel is free floated. The action screws are tight. I even had someone else shoot the gun with the same results. The last time at the range I just shot it without and real time for the barrel to cool. If I had to make a general statement I would say it shot slightly better from a warm barrel but I can't remember a group under 1 1/2" @100 yards. Most will push the 3" mark. Any suggestions? I could accept the 1 1/2" if it was consistant.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dont they offer an accuracy guarantee? If so, I'd go that route. Also, since the rifle has 120 rounds through it, make sure it isnt copper fouled. Usually when Ive had a sour shooting M70, it was due to bedding. Good luck, hope you get it to shoot.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The newer model 70s have one major and one minor problem, that when fixed will make them into 1 moa rifles.

1. the bedding is hot glue crap and the barrels are not free floated.
Buy a glass bedding kit from Brownells, scrape out the hot glue crap and glass bed the recoil lug and rear 1" of the barrel. Make VERY sure that only the rear of the recoil lug is touching. You can do this by putting tape on the sides and bottom or by bedding it as is and then opening up the sides, front and bottom with a Dremel tool. Keeping the glass from extending past 1" is a job for flexible removable rope caulk.

Next step is to get some dowels and 40 grit sandpaper. Open up the barrel channel so that a business card will pass from the muzzle to the 1" of glass bedding at the barrel's rear end.
Put a coat of spar varnish on the new raw wood in the bbl channel.

It also helps to put blue painters masking tape along the edge of the stock where it meets the barrel and action to avoid glass flowing over onto the wood.

This system was invented by Col T Whelen and I have done it on dozens of bolt actions of all brands.....it always works.

On a M70 the front action screw needs to be tight, the other two just enough to hold things together. I suggest blue locktite on them.

It will take a few shots to settle it into the stock at which time you will want to retighten (if necessary) the front action screw.

Finally adjust the trigger. most come from the factory at 7-10 pounds.... 3 is easy and safe.

My latest effort was on a new marlin XLC in 270 that was a 1.5 MOA rifle out of the box. It now punches bug holes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
typical oldman guy asks about a winchester M70 and he posts a pic of a group he claims he shot with a Marlin.

Seriously what is wrong with you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Measure COAL for your rifle and particular bullet and load accordingly. I did this with my NIB M70 and was pleasantly surprised how things tightened up.

I use a 1/4" wooden dowel to check my COAL for a certain bullet.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would make sure your barrel is not fouled. If so square that away first.
Action screws on a Model 70 cannot be over-tightened or of course it will affect accuracy.

I was raised shooting Model 70's and the following procedure is what I was taught and have always used. By no means an expert but a Model 70 Fanatic.

1) Loosen all action screws.

2) Snug the top external screw until you meet resistance.

3) Snug the screw behind the trigger guard in the same manner, and lastly do the same to the screw under the floor-plate.

4) Close floor-plate and tighten top action screw. Use common sense here and don't squeeze it down like most tend to do on an oil pan drainplug.

5) Do the same to the trigger guard screw in step 4.

6) Lastly, re-open floor plate and tighten the middlel screw in the same manner and then back the screw out 1/4 turn.

Shoot for accuracy.

I have never used Blue Loctite on action screws on a Model 70 Winchester.
Nor have I ever had to re-bed a Model 70 Winchester.
Accept the fact that you are shooting a lightweight rifle and don't expect Sub MOA groups. I have also learned that most accuracy problems are either scope or ammo related. Sounds like you have the scope factored out already so you may be ahead of the game. Try different ammo? Was it windy when you were shooting? Was it an a.m. shoot after drinking coffee?

Just trying to help, not be a smart***.

Please post back and see if anything improved after tightening action screws outlined above. I think you might be happy.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
oldman1942, The new FN Winchesters are bedded with SteelBed and free-floated from the factory. The triggers arent 10 lbs anymore either.

Your diagnosis is spot on for the poorly bedded later M70's.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, more information's needed.. What chambering? How many rounds do you fire before cleaning the bore? How are you cleaning the bore? What cleaning material are you using? If you're scrupulous about cleaning, try NOT cleaning it for 30-40 rounds and test again..

If this is a new FN, have you tried a pressure point? How does it shoot factory ammo?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Here's my solution to accuracy issues with Winchester, Remington & Ruger rifles. Pack up rifle, drive to gunshop and trade for Tikka or Sako. Accuracy issues resolved.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Stroker

Accept the fact that you are shooting a lightweight rifle and don't expect Sub MOA groups.

I don't really agree with this statment. LW rifles should shoot MOA I have 4 and have found loads for all of them that will group sub MOA. Don't lower you standards for a hunting rifle and sacrifice wieght for accuracy

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Chambering is 7mm-08
It was cleaned every few rounds the first three times at the range. The fourth time I just shot it.
Coffee was not an issue. I was shooting other rifles just fine and another person had the same problem while shooting the model 70.
There was no wind at the range on any of the four trips.
Three bullet weights and two powders and two brands of primers have been tried.
COAL is correct
I am not asking that this rifle become a long range target rifle,I just want it to shoot with some consistency and be reasonabley accurate. I don't believe that 1 1/2" at a 100 yards is asking too much.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I had good luck with leaving the center screw only finger nail tight to keep from stressing the center of the action.

This "Center" screw has caused many problems in Ruger and Win actions when it comes to shooting very tiny groups where you want all the bullets to go in a singe onle or enlarge a bullet hole.

Basically, if you really torque down on the center screw, you May bend the action in the middle where the action will not vibrate consistantly from shot to shot.

This is not a guarantee on every Action, but can be very problematic depending on the stock/action fit.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mauser12
Chambering is 7mm-08
It was cleaned every few rounds the first three times at the range. The fourth time I just shot it.
Coffee was not an issue. I was shooting other rifles just fine and another person had the same problem while shooting the model 70.
There was no wind at the range on any of the four trips.
Three bullet weights and two powders and two brands of primers have been tried.
COAL is correct
I am not asking that this rifle become a long range target rifle,I just want it to shoot with some consistency and be reasonabley accurate. I don't believe that 1 1/2" at a 100 yards is asking too much.
Not at all... Ok, now, have you tried a pressure point? Is this a new FN M70 or a NH? If the latter, has the trigger been adjusted? And last, what does factory ammo give you?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry but I think I said I HAVE DONE IT ON MANY DIFFERENT BRANDS OF RIFLES AND IT ALWAYS WORKED.

Here's a pic of the one before the Marlin. Even with the BOSS it was a 1.5" rifle....afterwords, bug holes. You will note IT IS A NEW HAVEN M70!!!!!

As to "what is a M 70 featherweight", perhaps I made the error in assuming he had one of the very pretty late New Haven ones. Probably the best looking 70 ever made but still had the crap bedding.

Perhaps the OP could tell us if he has an FN or the earlier one?

BTW, just because the new ones are steel glass bedded, doesn't mean it was done right. If the recoil lug is touching anywhere but the back, it will impact accuracy.

I won't even get into how one can but a REAL FN or Husky/FN from the 50s-60s and have a superior rifle in every way...... for 1/2 the price.

FYI blue loctite is designed to be undone with no heat, all it does is insure the screws won't loosen, so no harm can be done.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Some more clarification here.

This is one of the new featherweights.
The barrel is floated
There is bedding at the recoil lug and at the rear action screw.
The trigger pull from the factory is set at 4 1/4 lbs.
So far I have been unable to get all of the 'gunk" used in and around the trigger adjustment out. I broke my last dental pick working on it the AM. Adjustments appear to be small allen heads but they are still full of the sealer.
Also, in refernce to the tightening sequence, there are only two screws. There is no screw under the floorplate.

Thanks for all the input. It has got me looking and rechecking.

BTW Oldman, I really like the wood on the rifle photo you posted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heavywalker,

What I meant was not all factory rifles shoot sub MOA groups. Many will but most won't. However, it seems most think that when their new rifle will only shoot 1.5 inch groups something is wrong with it or that it needs warranty work.

I have many rifles and some shoot better than others. The better shooters are normally the heavier rifles. Any Winchester Model 70 that shoots 1.5 groups is a dead ringer as far as I am concerned for hunting anyway. My experience is most will shoot better than that. SUBMOA groups have become the required standard for hunting rifles these days. I doubt anyone here can print these SUBMOA groups from offhand or any other method other than bench conditions.

All of the targets with tight groups posted on a forum with notes indicating they were taken at 100, 200 or any other range for that matter really don't impress anyone but at the same time are fun to look at.

I am sure every shooter has encountered the strange phenomenon while at the range of having to ask themselves "Why is this rifle grouping horribly this time? Last time it was dead nuts!" I know I have.

The original poster wrote that this was his problem:

"The problem is that it will group well sometimes and not others. Typically it will go like this. The first three rounds from a cold barrel will give a group of about 3" at a hundred yards. After letting the barrel cool, the next group will often approach 1 1/2" The third group from a cold barrel will open back up to about 4 or 5 inches."

In my opinion something is wrong but his rifle obviously has the ability to shoot 1.5 groups which is well within hunting standards. Is accepting a 1.5 group in a Featherweight rifle lowering you standards? I don't think so. Certainly does not make it any less efficient as a hunting rifle.

Mauser12,

Sorry, I didn't know the new Model 70's did not have a screw under the floorplate. I have yet to handle a new one. Still trying to wear out my old ones. Good luck with your issue, maybe try another scope from another rifle.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mauser 12, thanks for the clarification. That wood is okay for a standard grade 70 but not like these factory wood Brownings and Winchester or 50+ year old Remington'.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TomM1
oldman1942, The new FN Winchesters are bedded with SteelBed and free-floated from the factory. The triggers arent 10 lbs anymore either.

Your diagnosis is spot on for the poorly bedded later M70's.

That is what I thought also.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mauser12
Some more clarification here.

This is one of the new featherweights.
The barrel is floated
There is bedding at the recoil lug and at the rear action screw.
The trigger pull from the factory is set at 4 1/4 lbs.
So far I have been unable to get all of the 'gunk" used in and around the trigger adjustment out. I broke my last dental pick working on it the AM. Adjustments appear to be small allen heads but they are still full of the sealer.
Also, in refernce to the tightening sequence, there are only two screws. There is no screw under the floorplate.

Thanks for all the input. It has got me looking and rechecking.

BTW Oldman, I really like the wood on the rifle photo you posted.

I have 2 New model 70 Featherweight and they don't group very well with loads on the upper scale of pressure. I don't know wich load you use but backing off 2 or 3 grains of powders might solve your problem. Like someone already said, the chambers are tight...

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I am already three grains below listed maximum. I have found over the years that most of my guns are a little more accurate just under full loads. I was actually thinking of bumping the loads up a grain to try something different.

I would like to get the trigger pull to around three pounds but Winchester really does not want anyone adjusting the trigger. I was able to cut the majority of the stuff off with a pocket knife but the hols are completly filled. Any ideas for a solvent for the sealer?

Thanks again for all of the input. Sometimes frustration takes over judgement when I run up against this type of issue. I like the balance of the rifle and have until next deer season to get it right so I am willing to try about anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,275
Posts18,467,528
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.